Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Originally Posted by Tacitus
&search=peter%20crouch
Doesn't look like a sex machine

there's a frog in my snake oil
Not to worry, there is still art and sublime motion in the football world.... Voila!

Still looks fairly odd tho, n'est pas?

Ground Control To Major Thom
Originally Posted by Golgot
Not to worry, there is still art and sublime motion in the football world.... Voila!

Still looks fairly odd tho, n'est pas?
Hang on a minute... it is a film which is basically just following him around the pitch during the game against Villareal? And I thought Simon Jordan was egotistical.

So what is the twist? Does it turned out that in the end he was a ghost?

Besides, he was substituted in that game I think... have I just given away the ending

there's a frog in my snake oil
He gets sent off apparently. (Then nearly drowns in a sea of adoring fans, before discovering that Peter Crouch is his evil nemesis, or something )

Ground Control To Major Thom
... speaking of The Crouchster, there was this letter in today's The Fiver, which should be mandatory daily reading for everybody who likes football.

"Re: Peter Crouch. He scores a great goal then looks like a prize prat when celebrating ... unless Germany are going to play the boys from Kraftwerk in defence and he's putting down some weird techno-robo pre-tournament challenge. The truth is out there"

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by nebbit
Tatty, sorry we beat you in the rugby
Heh, we're never any good against Southern Hemisphere sides on their own turf anyway.

Heh, we're never any good against Southern Hemisphere sides on their own turf anyway.
Oh, Robert seemed to like the part where the Aussie front row foward score a try

Originally Posted by nebbit
Oh, Robert seemed to like the part where the Aussie front row foward score a try
Ah well, play us in Dublin and just you watch! We won't lose by quite as much...

Seriously though, it's been a long season and we'd had two hard games against the best side in the world before this match. I think you'll only see truly competitive games between Northern and Southern hemisphere sides (apart from the Kiwis, who could beat anyone anywhere anytime) is during a World Cup when everyone's had a chance to prepare.

Ah well, play us in Dublin and just you watch! We won't lose by quite as much...
As I know nothing about rugby at all I have to refer to Robert, I asked him if Ireland were a good team, he said I just wanted to know if we were beating a good or bad side, you know what I mean, don't you?

Only France are a better European side than us at the moment and in club rugby the top three sides in the Celtic league were Irish. Unfortunately it seems to be an Irish trait that we tire in matches and having 3 tests in 3 weeks at the end of a hard season when most of the players should be recovering on treatment tables was too much.

Of course, it could also be argued that Australia were just far too good for us.

DEFINE the GREAT LINE
Okay well i think we will all agree that the lions are a horrible team. And they shame us Detroiters

DEFINE the GREAT LINE
Just wanted to put my little cents in this heh

Argentina forever

Argentina Never!

Well, folks and folkettes, the footie season's upon us once again so I present my thoughts on the runners and riders in this season's English Premier League.

Arsenal - £300mil new stadium. 1 new player. Most of the defence either injured or wanting out. A challenge to Chelski? Arsene has a week to find the reinforcements he must surely need for even a top 3 finish...

Aston Villa - Deadly Doug has this morning sold his majority shareholding to the wonderfully named American Randy Lerner and they already have arguably the best motivational manager in the British game on board in Martin O'Neill. Things are looking up for The Villa, especially once O'Neill is allowed to spend some dollars...

Blackburn Rovers - With their best striker, Craig 'Monkey Boy' Bellamy, sold to Liverpool and replaced by the unproven (in this league) Benni McCarthy, the athletic but not exactly prolific Jason Roberts and the frankly rubbish has-been Franny Jeffers, will they have the firepower to push for a European place? On the plus side, Rovers have kept hold of Aussie World Cup star (I never thought I'd say that) Lucas Neill...

Bolton Wanderers - Nic Anelka joins Fat Sam's Barmy Army today for £8mil. He's talanted, for sure, but changes clubs every 18 months and isn't known as The Incredible Sulk for nothing. It could be a long, hard season for The Trotters...

Charlton Athletic - Self-styled Best Looking Man In Football, Ian 'Davros' Dowie, joins as manager of the team that Alan Curbishly finally decided he couldn't take any further last season. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has managed to drag his enormous rear down from Middlesborough to moan, score the occasional goal, eat pies and pick up shedloads of cash. Relegation anyone?

Chelski - Two more superstars move over to The Dark Side in the summer with Cashley Hole surely following so the title's in the bag again? Well, they lost on Wednesday and Jose will be under more pressure than ever before to deliver The Champion's League. Expect increasingly paranoid rants from The Special (Needs?) One as Christmas approaches...

Everton - They actually look quite solid, with Andy Johnson providing some much needed pace up front but Toffees fans I know are already starting to become anxious that pensionable carthorse David Weir has been made captain. Joleon Lescott joins from Wolves with tons of Under 21 caps but no real experience at this level...

Fulham - The most interesting thing to have happened to The Cottagers all Summer has been their admirable stand in letting wantaway best-player and, in the minds of rival Club chairmen who've failed to agree personal terms with the midfielder over the Summer, greedy sod, Steed Malbranque rot in the reserves. His wages have supposedly even scared off Newcastle, never known in the past for their reluctance to throw huge bundles of notes at mediocre players, so they must be high...

Liverpool - They've bought two talanted players but two repugnant personalities in Craig Bellemy and Jermaine Pennant and let a couple of under-performers, in Cisse and Morientes, go. The bookies' pre-season favourites to provide a challenge to Chelski haven't exactly set the world on fire during their first few games this season though...

Manchester City - I sense a struggle for Pearce this term. A struggle to keep Citeh out of the drop zone and himself in a job with the refreshing honesty and verve of the start of his tenure replaced by a truly shocking run at the end of last season. They've finally rid themselves of David James, though, so all hope is not lost...

Manchester United - Old Horseface has departed to Madrid for peanuts (geddit???) and they've probably spent twice the amount they should have on a midfielder lacking in pace, goals and ability to tackle. Oh, he's English? Fergie's obviously bought the new Bryan Robson/Glenda Hoddle then. If Rooney and Ronaldo get crocked, what price fifth?

Middlesborough - I was going to forecast a long, hard season for Southgate's men though after their sparkling and well-deserved win over Chelski during the week I'm going to still forecast a long, hard season for Southgate's men. They're still in the position they were when Steve Gibson took over the club - they have money to spend on International players but very few in their prime are willing to sacrifice life at a 'big' club...

Newcastle United - Mystic Tat predicts the sack for Glen Roeder before Easter - Owen out until God knows when, the talismanic Shearer opting to take the BBC's shilling in return for dull punditry and a centre of defence led by Titus Bramble do not bode well. Still, the astounding sale of clown-masquerading-as-International-centre-half Boumsong to relegated Juventus is a masterstroke (albiet a masterstroke which cost a £5.5mil net loss in transfer fees for just over a year) and they're about to sign a 21 year old Nigerian striker who might be 28...

Portsmouth - The Middlesborough syndrome. Lots of cash but a club without the name to spend it on top name players...and more dirty Eastern European money behind them make Pompey a kind of Diet Chelski. They've bought comedy keeper and video game champion David James and distressed centre half Sol Campbell has arrived on a free from Arsenal after convincing Arsene to let him leave to play abroad. *cough*

Reading - Decent club. Decent stadium, chairman and manager. I'd like to see them stay up but it'll be a battle.

Sheffield United - As above but with a complete arse for a manager. Expect Warnock to depart from The Premiership even quicker than his side.

Tottenham Hotspur - The masterstroke of selling the hugely overrated Carrick to Man Ewe for £18mil has allowed Martin 'The Thing' Jol to continue his merry persuit of every talanted young English midfielder. Big-boned Andy Reid has also left and Spurs have brought in the excellent Didier Zokora and the promising Dimitar Berbatov - 21 goals in 34 games last season and 31 in 50 for Bulgaria. Uefa Cup certainties...

Watford - Same as Reading but without the ground.

West Ham United - Many comings and goings among Pardew's playing staff with the club continuing to build a decent squad in the hope of a top 8 finish come May. Perennial thug Lee Bowyer has joined from Newcastle and promises double-figure yellow cards along with double-figure assists if he finally gets his head sorted and lives up to the promise of 5 years ago...

Wigan Athletic - Last season's surprise packages are going to find things a lot tougher this time around and this has already been shown in the players they've managed to attract in the close season: 'One Size' Fitz Hall is a steady but unremarkable defender, Emile Heskey has one last chance to justify a succession of managers' faith in his goalscoring ability (4 goals last season = a £5.5mil transfer fee from a relegated club). Brittle goalkeeper Chris Kirkland has the potential to challenge Paul Robinson as England's #1 but he finally needs to show that he can string more than 3 games together without getting crocked...

rhymes with Goebbels
C'mon Leeds! One day we'll be back!