Movie Tab II

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
...but in a clumsy way.

...I didn't like it either.
Heh, Alan Moore (the comic's writer) doesn't think much of it either:

"[It was] turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country.... [This film] is a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives — which is not what [the comic] 'V for Vendetta' was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about [England]." From Wikipedia

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Heh, Alan Moore (the comic's writer) doesn't think much of it either:

"[It was] turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country.... [This film] is a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives — which is not what [the comic] 'V for Vendetta' was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about [England]." From Wikipedia
Hmmm.. yeah, he kind of nails it, I guess. I'm totally unfamiliar with the comic, so I have no point of reference. But I read the film exactly the way he described it, as an American anti Bush film set in London. And then the casting of Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving. It's like they are trying to please so many camps at the same time and in the end they only reach halfway towards every goal.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Hmmm.. yeah, he kind of nails it, I guess. I'm totally unfamiliar with the comic, so I have no point of reference. But I read the film exactly the way he described it, as an American anti Bush film set in London. And then the casting of Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving. It's like they are trying to please so many camps at the same time and in the end they only reach halfway towards every goal.
The comic came out in the early 80s so I was a bit too young for the allagory but Alan Moore had done so much great work on 2000AD (still my favourite comic) that I sought it out a few years later. I'm paraphrasing here but the basic premise was that Thatcher had lost the 1983 election (she won by a landslide, as it happened), Labour came to power and disarmed the UK's nuclear weapons and thus got off lightly in the forthcoming nuclear war. The country then slowly turned into a 1984-style dictatorship with V as the avenging angel.

The Descent

This movie was an awful mess. I have rarely had the urge to get up and leave the theatre. Every scene was filled with a sad attempt at gore in order to add substance to a very dry concept. This was a complete bore.

Originally Posted by NewDawnFades
The Descent

This movie was an awful mess. I have rarely had the urge to get up and leave the theatre. Every scene was filled with a sad attempt at gore in order to add substance to a very dry concept. This was a complete bore.
Oh, I dunno.

The Descent doesn't pretend to be High Art but, for me at least, it did exactly what it said on the tin...

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Tacitus
The comic came out in the early 80s so I was a bit too young for the allagory but Alan Moore had done so much great work on 2000AD (still my favourite comic) that I sought it out a few years later. I'm paraphrasing here but the basic premise was that Thatcher had lost the 1983 election (she won by a landslide, as it happened), Labour came to power and disarmed the UK's nuclear weapons and thus got off lightly in the forthcoming nuclear war. The country then slowly turned into a 1984-style dictatorship with V as the avenging angel.
Aha. Thanks.

I rented the Ringer last night, it was cracking me up, but its kind of wrong at the same time.

Originally Posted by thehulkzinger
I rented the Ringer last night, it was cracking me up, but its kind of wrong at the same time.
I believe that movie was approved by the special olympics. I think cause it still put out the message that these guys are still tough competitors.

Secondhand Lions (2003) 3/5

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Little mermaid - still as good as the first time i sang along as a kid

Aladdin - i think its one of the funnier disney movies with robin williams doing it up as the genie

the grinch - i love this film cause it just makes me feel good inside. Plus jim carrey is a christmas cracker as the big green meanie the grinch

A system of cells interlinked
Unforgiven (Eastwood, 1992)

Just like heaven-I'm not sure why I watched this movie but I think it was because of Jon Heder and that's all

aladdin-7/10
the princess diaries-5/10
a clockwork orange-7/10
Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man", or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just.

Rocky Road To Dublin (1968, Peter Lennon)

4/5

Ahhhhh Ireland in the 60s. Far from a Yeatsian Celtic Twilight and more of a Clerical Dictatorship.

One gets the feeling from this famous old documentary that The Church imposed such heavy restrictions on life, art, sport etc as a direct riposte to what they felt was the growing Godlessness across the water in an England still despised by the surviving sympathisers of the 1916 Rebellion.

We'll have none of that Rock and Roll music here, so!

Welcome to the human race...
Sin City - 8/10

Still fairly good if only the disc didn't keep glitching.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
King Kong - (the Peter Jackson one) 10/10

It's the type of movie my 8 year old self would watch endlessly and never get tired of. (my 30 year old self loves it too.) It has a giant gorilla, a pretty girl, and lots of dinosaurs. Really, that's all you need sometimes.