The Blair Witch Project

→ in
Tools    

why do so many people hate the movie the blare withch project?? i was just curious because in my opinion, i love the movie, but i hear people dislike it a lot.

ADMIN EDIT: please do not use hard to read colors in your post.
Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man", or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
When I first saw BWP, I hadn't read anything about it. I saw it in the theatres on opening day. It honestly scared me. I still think it is a solid horror movie, but seeing it at home leaves teh viewer lost. The complete darkness and perfect sorround sound aid the mood so much, that to watch it at home sucks.

I actually enjoyed this one and the second one to boot.

Only thing that actually put a damper on the first one for me was the ending.

WARNING: "Blair Witch Project" spoilers below
Along with the abrupt ending with the bonk on the head and the falling camera only, and I didn't so much mind that, however I do wish they were to have made a sort of crime scene video investigation tape in black and white. You know, like they did with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. A sort of follow up. Now I know the movie was low budget but it wouldnt have hurt the buyer to throw a little more of his coin in there just to tweak that part up a bit.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oh no, Escape, I totally disagree!

WARNING: "BWP semi-spoilers" spoilers below
I think that abrupt ending was perfect, given that the film made it clear that this was supposed to be just "raw footage" they found. If they had added anything else, it wouldn't have seemed as real, and would have reminded us that it was indeed just a movie after all.

Part of the initial appeal of the BWP was that it had the look and feel of real raw footage and seemed like it could indeed be real and not fiction. Leaving it with that abrupt ending meant leaving it with more questions as to its authenticity ... which was part of the idea behind the movie in the first place.

FWIW, I saw this at home long after it had been released ... and it still scared the crap outta me!

Come to think of it when I watched the movie it was day and it didn't scare me (and I posted in Movie Tab II that it wasn't scary)but when the night came and it was time for bed
WARNING: "Final Scene" spoilers below
that final scene when he was standing against the wall
that still freaks me out at night when i remember it

to this day along with the Shining its the only movie that still scares me after watching it so many times. I love this movie and think its brilliants and escape I also dont really agree with you I love the ending

Originally Posted by Austruck
WARNING: "BWP semi-spoilers" spoilers below
I think that abrupt ending was perfect, given that the film made it clear that this was supposed to be just "raw footage" they found. If they had added anything else, it wouldn't have seemed as real, and would have reminded us that it was indeed just a movie after all.
WARNING: "The Blair Witch Project" spoilers below
Yeah I get that and agree that it being just raw footage is what was so appealing to me. I just neeeeeeeeeded so badly a tiny tiny follow up at the end. As in the investigators just found this footage we just saw and quickly described what they had found for 30 seconds or so. Even if it was added as an option to the dvd would have pleased me. Mm-hmm.

Originally Posted by B-card
WARNING: "Final Scene" spoilers below
that final scene when he was standing against the wall
that still freaks me out at night when i remember it
WARNING: "TBWP" spoilers below
Yeah, i was debating with a couple friends of mine there. They said he was dead, I said he was drugged or semi-conscious. No way a dead dude prior to rigamortis could stand like that.

ave you guys heard amny bad things about it like me, or is just the ppl i hang with, they say its really cheasy, but thats like on of the only movies that scares the sh*t out of me after watching a bunch of times

cant sleep for 3 days after watching this movie

www.forumninja.com
I absolutely love The Blair Witch Project. Perhaps one of the best exercises in build-up that I have ever witnessed... and what a delightfully dreary payoff! The final scenes had me on the edge of my seat.

Lets put a smile on that block
I really like TBWP. I thought it was a really original film, and it was also one of the first to use the internet so well in its marketing. Did anyone else get totally hooked with the internet site before the movie came out? Spreading by word of mouth over the net, this 'ghost story' became mega famous before the film even came out. I used to check it every day for updates, the website really freaked me out, very spooky sounds and stories of where they found the tapes etc. Very clever marketing. As for a black and white news reel (That Escape thought they could have improved the film with) im sure there is a documentary on the dvd with this type of thing. It doesnt sum up what happened afterwards as their bodies were never found, but it does suggest murder suspects etc (Even though we know they were killed by spooky witch monster)

As for the original question as to why people may not like the film, i think its simply becuase the film doesnt deliver what the overall populace desire in a monster/ghost story - the beastie. Becuase we never actually see what is pursuing and torturing the group, some have viewed this as a dissapointment. I however love this fact. Its superb and terrifying. Every single time i watch this film, i find the final moments when they are in that house unbearable, oh the horror, THE HORROR!

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've not seen it in years but liked the movie a lot. Probably the best memory I have about The Blair Witch Project was telling the future ex Mrs Tatt that it was a documentary, just before her first viewing...

She didn't speak to me for a full 24 hours afterwards. Happy days , indeed.

[quote=JibberJord]why do so many people hate the movie the blare withch project?? i was just curious because in my opinion, i love the movie, but i hear people dislike it a lot.

it;s like you are in my mind i'm telling excactly the same thing in my friends who saying that movie it's crap
i believe it's a nice idea directing movie like this and all the story before the movie release was amzing

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally Posted by diamondgeeza
Forget The Blair Witch Project is was rubbish, The follow up 'The Book Of Shadow's' was a much better film
No, not even close. The first one was, like everyone is saying, supposed to be documentary-like. The second one was Hollywood's take on the low budget "horror" film. I watched it once, and that was enough for me. Waste of time if you ask me.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

this is my fav horror movie

I was fully eager to go and watch this movie after hearing it was based on true occurrences but the movie didn't scare me one bit. Not really sure why. Having said that, I really enjoyed the ending. I had a friend say he didn't like the ending, only because he didn't understand the full story which the movie was based on.

Originally Posted by m0dern_pr0phet
I was fully eager to go and watch this movie after hearing it was based on true occurrences but the movie didn't scare me one bit.
This movie wasnt based on true occurances but I do believe when it came out, the advertisings kind of mislead some into thinking that. Also, I thought part 2 wasnt so bad either but it got ripped apart by the critics and many fans alike.

When I went to see this movie I could'nt believe what I was seeing. Finally something new the big screen. The movie itself could have been better with the acting. Could have done without the constant camera crazyness. If you get motion sickness easily, then this movie is not for you. But overall it was a good jolt to the big screen and to the way's on how movies are made.