Movie Tab II

Tools    

Ultraviolet-if they had put another 30-40 million dollars in that movie it would have been great,because the effects kind of sucked and that disapointed me
3/5

Unbreakable-another good movie Written,Produced and Directed by M.Night Shyamalan which was great
5/5

V for Vendetta

there's a frog in my snake oil
Chopper
Very Aussie. Brash, jovial, violent, inventive. Liked it a lot. Grim in places of course, but in an utterly fitting way. The director seems to have 'reinvented' the story well - if perhaps 'glamourising' a touch too much in certain ways. Bana nails the role completely. (And the extras with 'Chopper' himself, and his commentary, are class additions incidently).

Glengarry Glen Ross

Powerful acting all the way. Some nice little twists n turns keep it interesting - altho its the stars doing their thing that really makes it work (not that it isn't surprising in the first place that a story about salesmen could be engaging). Translates the close-n-personal theatre-derived story to the screen in a very effective way.

The Grapes of Wrath

Despite a slightly 'folksy' start, it was much more knotty and up-for-a-scrap than i'd expected. Shame some of the more extreme examples from the original book (which i've read about) couldn't have made it past the censors of the day to give it an even real-er feel - and to increase its parable potential too.

A system of cells interlinked
Full Metal Jacket (Kubrick, 1987) - Never fails to floor me. So amazing.

Grandma's Boy
(Goossen, 2006) - So, so stupid, but I laughed my ass off. I guess I have another guilty pleasure. Man, what a horrible movie... and yet....

I am having a nervous breakdance
Scarecrow (1973 - Jerry Schatzberg)

I loved it! It's kind of typical for its time, isn't it? Hackman and Pacino were terrific, especially Hackman. It also reminded me of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Sedai
Grandma's Boy (Goossen, 2006) - So, so stupid, but I laughed my ass off. I guess I have another guilty pleasure. Man, what a horrible movie... and yet....
Yeah, and when you think back over the film, you realize that it wasn't really even about anything. There was no real goal, no harrowing tension. Just jokes. And somehow, it still works. Another film best watched with buds (and I don't mean marijuana, although it would have been appropriate).

The City of Lost Children
(d. Jeunet & Caro)

I love this movie so much - It's one of the most visually striking things I've ever seen. Everyone is so quick to say that Amelie is Jeunet's finest work, but this one stays with me longer. The second hour is just about perfect.

Plus, it's easy to root for Ron Perlman.

Welcome to the human race...
Groundhog Day - 8/10

Better than I expected.

Evil Dead II - 10/10

Good. Real good.

Nashville (1975 - Robert Altman)

Fantastic piece of work. Altman at his best and the music is amazingly dorky and just amazing at the same time.

Because my father was playing cards with his friends and the PC was off limits,so I've made a movie marathon and i watched these movies from 5 p.m. to 3 a.m. in the morning

The Fly(1986)-good movie I liked it Cronenberg did his job fantastic and the Physical effects were great 5/5

Little Nicky(2000)-one of Adam Sandlers comedies actualy they are all the same but they awlays make me laugh out loud 4/5

*batteries not included(1987)-wasn't that good i just had the chance to watch it on TV because you can't rent it from the video store 3/5

Jaws(1975)-the movie was awsm it deserves the two Oscar's that recieved back then 5/5

American Haunting(2006)-it had its scary moments but wasn't that good 4/5

American Dreamz(2006)-That movie was made by the creators of American Pie and was amazingly good the idea of the movie was great it had its funny moments i recomend it to those who haven't watched it yet 4/5

A system of cells interlinked
The Manchurian Candidate (Frankenheimer, 1962) - Bold and memorable, and VERY dark. Quite applicable today, as well.

Punk: Attitude (2005 - Don Letts)

Pretty interesting documentary about, yeah you guessed it, punk. It was good because interesting people were being interviewed; members of Velvet Underground, MC5, New York Dolls, Ramones, Pistols, Clash, Black Flag and on and on. Some bands were overlooked though. Can't see how they failed to mention Misfits or Bad Religion, for instance, when talking about punk rock in the 80's and into the 90's and 00's.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Brazil (1985, Terry Gilliam)

5/5

Brazil was on TV last night and I managed to make it through the first half hour before realising that I had the DVD sitting 6 feet to my left...the final 90-odd minutes was thus experienced in glorious DVD-ovision.

Dystopian perfection. 'Nuff said.

Put me in your pocket...
La Belle et la bête (1946)
I liked it lot. I had seen bits and pieces over the years, but never the whole thing. I loved the costumes and the dark feel to it. My daughter and I were comparing this story with Disney's version, which was interesting. There were things about both that we liked. We love Disney's ending better though.

Ladyhawke (1985)
It's been a long time since I had seen this...it's not as timeless as I remember. I still love the story for the most part, and visually it still holds up for me (great castle scenes). I still liked Rutger Hauer as Captain Navarre and Michelle Pfeiffer as the beautiful Ladyhawke Isabeau...but Matthew Broderick wasn't as as endearing as mouse this time around....dunno why (maybe it was the como of the acting and writing?).

Unfortunatley the music is so dated....in an 80's techno cheesy way that doesn't match the earthy Medieval times feel of the movie. I usually like cheesy...but this wasn't a good match...the music drove me crazy to the point that I almost turned it off.

Originally Posted by Sedai
The Manchurian Candidate (Frankenheimer, 1962) - Bold and memorable, and VERY dark. Quite applicable today, as well.
Angela Lansbury was incredible. I never thought of her as chilling before this movie...but wow she pulls it off.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ghost World - Lah. That's some well 'framed' perky angst. I identified with most of the themes far too much - despite not being a rebellious girl or a 40-year-old nerd.

(I'm now slightly worried that i might be something in between )

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Ghost World is one of my favorites eva, Golg. and don't worry, you rate more as the rebellious one than the nerd.

um, for what its worth.

me!:

Lady in the Water - far exceeded my expectations. Giamatti is ace... i'd look up a Mofo review, but im too tired.