Movie Tab II

Tools    

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
um.... okay.
sorry, can't take much of it...plus, i think Terence Howard is along with Samuel L. Jackson the most powerful african american actor on screen today, i just want to see him in roles that get to express his eloquence, and not make him look dumb...

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
fast and the furious: tokyo drift
------------------------------
fast, violent and sexy. Thin plot line but since the action is so damn hot it doesnt really matter.

The Lake house
---------------
even though we're only halfway through this year i would put my money on this as being the best film of the year (nothing else springs to mind, please tell me of other good contenders). Touching and literally edge of my seat stuff, praying that ill be given the happy ending that modern films have so long denied me. Beautiful performances and I dont know anyone who doesnt want to live in the beautiful set of the lake house.

rewatched pirates of the caribbean the curse of the black pearl
-------------------------------------------------------------
such a good film, just wanted to remind myself of it before i see the sequel tomorrow, johnny depp is ridiculously good looking

Finding Neverland
-----------------
awesome, the 'big' shot i the theatre still sends tingles down my spine

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Thanks but I can't. I haven't seen either film. It's true that I haven't written a review in a long time, but I have several short stories in various stages of completion (1st and 2nd drafts mostly) that I'll send you if you're interested.
check your Netflix... i sent you a couple suggestions (i know for a fact you will like the Station Agent--it is a Ben kind of movie!)

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
check your Netflix... i sent you a couple suggestions (i know for a fact you will like the Station Agent--it is a Ben kind of movie!)
scratch that. i see you rated it already on Netflix (three stars? how can i be so wrong?!?!?)

Kalifornia (1993)

Shopgirl (2005)
Really disliked this. But the score was wonderful.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
just got back from seeing the new pirates of the caribbean movie
--------------------------------------------------------------

pretty disappointed actually. This seemed to be Gore Verbinski trying his hand at at least trying to make a kind of grown up version of the porevious movie. Pretty dark in places it doesnt come close to the last one and does a pretty pi$$ poor attempt of following on from it. Unclear and generally crap plotline. Best bit by far was not any of the annoying scenes with the kraken but the sexual tension with jack sparrow and elizabeth.

Not giving away any secrets as it was on tv and stuff but when they finally kiss it was underplayed when it should have been a bigger moment with better screen angles. i cant stress how bad the plotline was- i got confused at parts (that may well be because im alittle slow but thats by the by) it shouldnt have been that hard to follow for a disney movie. I'm pretty disappointed.

A system of cells interlinked
Master and Commander : The Far Side of the World (Weir, 2003)

Troy (Petersen, 2004)

The Chronicles of Narnia : The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (Adamson, 2005)

Alexander (Stone, 2004)

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Liman, 2005)

Star Trek : First Contact (Frakes, 1996)

Superman Returns (Singer, 2006)

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
In Her Shoes - a faithful screening of a poignant story about two sisters.

Powder - an interesting central character, but a bit hokey, especially at the very end. Sean Patrick Flanery did a great job in the central role and the rest of the cast is excellent. Of particular note: Lance Henriksen, as the sherrif, has a moment at the end that is truly beautiful.

Whispers of the Heart - review in my review thread. I think it's my favorite version of the story Miyazaki keeps telling.

Tuck, Everlasting - lush photography and solid acting dress up a unique, but slightly thinly plotted 'doomed romance' tale of young love. It's a bit haunting though, and I'd recommend it.

Originally Posted by Sedai
I really liked it. It's no Se7en, but I really enjoyed it.
WARNING: "The Game" spoilers below
But didnt you find it odd how near the end there, they knew exactly where he would jump, and that he would jump at all? Perhaps they had a back up plan if he didnt jump but still cant figure out how they knew he would jump in that exact spot with the air bags.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Escape
WARNING: "The Game" spoilers below
But didnt you find it odd how near the end there, they knew exactly where he would jump, and that he would jump at all? Perhaps they had a back up plan if he didnt jump but still cant figure out how they knew he would jump in that exact spot with the air bags.
Yeah, a few scenes in the film like this, but I guess I had to suspend disbelief with the whole psyche profile thing. The end was a bit much, but overall I liked the mystery of the film. Good call, though.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Walk the Line (2005 - James Mangold)

I am impressed...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Election

to quote Piddzilla: "I am impressed."

This brings up a question I want to ask of my fellow Mofos, but I don't think the amount of content or response it will produce merits it having its own thread.

Do you know a movie is one of your favorites upon first viewing, or does it take time to sink in? Personally I usually am quick to judge, but usually make sure it holds up very very well to repeat viewings to confirm it's status.

The People's Republic of Clogher

Do you know a movie is one of your favorites upon first viewing, or does it take time to sink in? Personally I usually am quick to judge, but usually make sure it holds up very very well to repeat viewings to confirm it's status.
Do you mean films that you initially didn't like or films that you just weren't 100% on? Either way, I'm with you in the main - the vast majority of my favourite films hit the spot on first viewing. Election was one that grabbed me immediately, for example.

I'm also terrible about not giving films a second chance if I didn't like them. It's probably 50% ego and 50% 'there's so many more good films to watch so why waste my time on trawling my way through this again'.

Ok, make that 75% ego.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Election

to quote Piddzilla: "I am impressed."

This brings up a question I want to ask of my fellow Mofos, but I don't think the amount of content or response it will produce merits it having its own thread.

Count me in on the Election love-fest. From the first blurry freeze-frame, I was hooked.

The only time I've hated a film at first and later came to love it was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I didn't get it, the first time through. I could see what it was about, but I didn't understand that we were being taken along on the ride, and found it all sort of pointless. I needed a day off, basically. After seeing it another time or two though, it clicked and now it's one of those that I can't think of without smiling.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Do you mean films that you initially didn't like or films that you just weren't 100% on?
What I mean is this: do you decide that a film is one of your favorites upon first viewing, or do you rewatch it at least once before you give it a place in that upper eschelon.