Movie Tab II

Tools    

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Before Sunset (2004 - Richard Linklater)

I really, really liked this film... I thought it was fantastic.
Have you seen the first one? I thought it was much better, although I have a fairly strong dislike of Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, which damaged my opinions of both films.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
Which guy?
I think the guy who plays Bullock has some of the most awkward line-deliveries I've heard since high school. He's in the "Good Thing He's Pretty" category, for me.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I think the guy who plays Bullock has some of the most awkward line-deliveries I've heard since high school. He's in the "Good Thing He's Pretty" category, for me.
Agreed. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he may have been told to go for a 'young Clint' vibe. Pity he hasn't got an ounce of Eastwood's charisma or (admittedly limited, especially in his younger days) acting ability.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Agreed. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he may have been told to go for a 'young Clint' vibe. Pity he hasn't got an ounce of Eastwood's charisma or (admittedly limited, especially in his younger days) acting ability.
Yeah... which, if that is the case, then he really is the suck, because usually when you tell a less-experienced actor to mimic someone, it opens them up a bit. That poor guy... well, my ATM is more personable.

That poor guy... well, my ATM is more personable.
So's mine, but it'd be a close run thing if Tim Olyphant started bleeping and spitting tenners at me...

Maybe the real Seth Bullock was a bit of a nomark?

Luckily Olyphant doesn't ruin the show, there are quite enough fantastic character actors on display to more than make up.

Of course, union rules could have dictated that there was just too much talent on show and it had to be diluted lest the viewership have a few too many unsightly televisual orgasms...

I'm in a generous mood tonight.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
So's mine, but it'd be a close run thing if Tim Olyphant started bleeping and spitting tenners at me...

Maybe the real Seth Bullock was a bit of a nomark?

Luckily Olyphant doesn't ruin the show, there are quite enough fantastic character actors on display to more than make up.

Of course, union rules could have dictated that there was just too much talent on show and it had to be diluted lest the viewership have a few too many unsightly televisual orgasms...

I'm in a generous mood tonight.
He doesn't come close to ruining it. The rest of the cast is all top-notch. As for the union, you just never know.

Really? I like Olyphant's Bullock a lot. Especially in season two. When he and Swearengen finally square off and take that tumble off the balcony...great stuff. Yeah, I like Olyphant as an actor in general, before "Deadwood" (specifically Go and The Safety of Objects), and think he's just right as Seth Bullock.

But to each their own, I reckon.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well, I haven't gotten that far yet, Holden. Maybe the rest of the cast will rub off on him.

Just watched Silverado, which was awesome, but I'm still a bit ouchy about
WARNING: "Silverado" spoilers below
Danny Glover's dad
. That just wasn't ok.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Alvin
Have you seen the first one? I thought it was much better, although I have a fairly strong dislike of Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, which damaged my opinions of both films.
I have seen the first one but it was a real long time ago, so I can't really say which one I like the most. I can tell you that I was probably not as enthusiastic about it as about this one. I was probably disappointed that Linklater made a chick flick, being a huge fan of Slacker and Dazed and Confused as I was.

I don't have anything against Delpy but I have been annoyed by Hawke a few times in the past. Not in this one though. I thought the chemistry between them was brilliant and the dialogue too. Sometimes I thought that the things they talked about were a bit pretentious, but then again... that's the kind of things you talk about when you meet who you think's your soulmate, no? The last scene with Delpy seductively dancing in the apartment was cool... I almost got into some kind of Lynchian mode there for a while!

No, I liked this film a lot more I thought I would.... Maybe it's because I'm in that age now or something. Wondering "hey, where the hell did my life go??"...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Really? I like Olyphant's Bullock a lot. Especially in season two. When he and Swearengen finally square off and take that tumble off the balcony...great stuff.
I kinda see where you're coming from in that Bullock has a lot more to do in S2, more of the cast to play off instead of being stuck in the store with John Hawkes selling pickaxes to blokes with beards. The whole show has been ramped up a notch by then, though, and I still think Olyphant's lack of presence lets him down.

Ok, he's always gonna come second to Ian McShane, Powers Booth, Brad Dourif etc due to the nature of the character he plays but I feel that, say, Garret Dillahunt or Titus Welliver would have made a better Bullock.

Just not as pretty.

Put me in your pocket...
Howl’s Moving Castle (2004) ~ I absolutely loved this! I loved the characters, the story, the warm animation style...t’was truely charming in every aspect. I may buy this one on DVD.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days ~ I really liked this anime. The animation is positively gorgeous. The story itself a bit confusing at times, but the characters and their relationships are well thought out and touching. I only wish the ending matched the build up and was a little more clear as to what really happened.

Into the Woods (1991) ~ I loved it. I hadn't seen this before and since my daughter will be doing this in drama camp this year, I was dying to see it. After seeing act 1, act 2 was a surprise to me. I loved Bernadette Peters and the two fellas who played the Princes. They were perfect.

The New World (2005)...I’ll wait for Tacitus to start.

And, my daughter and I have been into Laurel and Hardy lately, so....

The Devil's Brother (1933) ~ It's set in early eighteenth century, Northern Italy and based on an operetta. The story is a bit slow at first in setting up who Fra Diavolo/Marquis de San Marco is, but once Stanlio and Ollio get into trouble by impersonating the bandit, the fun begins and the boys do their thing. Very funny stuff.

Way Out West (1937) ~ Great fun. Highlights: When Stan and Ollie try to get back a document from a couple who conned them. Not sure which is funnier...the initial chase around the apartment or the sneaking back in to the hotel to steal it back.

Block-Heads (1938) ~ Starts slow again, but some great gags through out and ends on a big laugh. Ollie discovers that Stan wasn’t killed in the war and after 20yrs the boys are reunited. Ollie invites Stan home to meet his wife and to have a good home cooked meal...and the fun begins as they try to leave the Old Soldiers home.There’s alot of misunderstandings at play in this one and seeing the boys get into trouble...is so much fun.

Chickens Come Home (1931) ~ The past comes to haunt Ollie and he’s being blackmailed. Between trying to calm her, hide her and misunderstandings both boys end up getting into trouble with their wives. Again, a big laugh at the end.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Into the Woods (1991) ~ I loved it. I hadn't seen this before and since my daughter will be doing this in drama camp this year, I was dying to see it. After seeing act 1, act 2 was a surprise to me. I loved Bernadette Peters and the two fellas who played the Princes. They were perfect...
yyyaaaaaayy! That show is SO much fun to do! Your daughter will have a ball. (no pun intended)

Lucky Number Slevin
Nice and fun movie, like the plot, but they could've made more of it i think, feels as if there's something missing

A system of cells interlinked
The Silence of the Lambs - (Demme, 1991)

Put me in your pocket...
yyyaaaaaayy! That show is SO much fun to do! Your daughter will have a ball. (no pun intended)
Thanks...I was hoping it would be a fun show for her. It's already lead to some interesting conversations about the image of prince charming.

What characters have you played in Into the Woods?

Originally Posted by Aniko
Thanks...I was hoping it would be a fun show for her. It's already lead to some interesting conversations about the image of prince charming.

What characters have you played in Into the Woods?
Florinda... Cinderella's slappy stepsister
and in a different production, the Witch... one of my all-time favorite roles. "You're so nice. You're not good. You're not bad. You're just... nice." God, I love that woman.

I love the take on Prince Charming, in that show. Good for you, taking the opportunity to talk about it with your daughter. Recognising true charm is a life skill.

Who is K playing?

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986 - John McNaughton)
Is this film any good? I've seen it around quite cheap but always thought it looks like a cheap film though heard it's quite good..

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Is this film any good? I've seen it around quite cheap but always thought it looks like a cheap film though heard it's quite good..
It's a very decent film, but I think a lot of people overplay how good it is. I'd hardly call it a portrait. More of a polaroid.