The Vanishing (Spoorloos) (1988) a George Sluizer film

→ in
Tools    

The Vanishing (Spoorloos) (1988)

I found it to have very little climatic suspence scenes in all totally it has three very impotant ones which felt just right for the film. It built tension between the way a scene was shot and how actors talked to each other. those scene with tension were so well done that it never let you go from beginning to end. I wouldn't really consider it hitchcockian but it was in the spirit of his films. I thought it had more of a dramatic side to it.

I always felt like there was something hidden within scenes well at least that's what I felt for instance the game that goes over that uneventful day. I always thought there's something there also certain ways characters acted. After leaving her in the car in the dark tunnel he walks out and has a big grin on his face suddle looks and intresting narrative style makes the impact of the movie more and more involving to the audience.

The bad guy plays his part so laid back it's almost sickening to watch him in the simplest of scenes. Most of the phyiscal scene didn't seem to bug me as much as when you see him go threw the process of practicing to kidnapp someone going threw all the same little details over the spand of the movie seeing how they will work timing them. Watching his brain tick that's what really got to me over the period of the movie.

Visually it's almost unrelenting every scene has the feeling of meticulously ploted out and beautifully lite and is noticable in the kidnapping scene were the light goes slowly down without jumping the gun from light to dark. It also looks hard and straight without any ruff edge's.

The remake pales in comparision were Hollywood takes all the tough to swallow of the script and turns them in to half witted scenes to make the audience happy. About the only good thing about the remake is Jeff Bridges and still I'd take Bernard-Pierre Donnadieu over him any day, there's real no comparing the too.

Remakimg this film was a wrong thing to do it's got holloywood written all over it which just became a easy meal ticket for grossing money which becomes overly obvsion from start to finish. The original was a experiment into terror, tension & Dynamics.

The DVD is the way to go with this film, NO Pan & Scan for me and if your going to watch it I would say it the most important thing to do is to rent the Widescreen DVD trust me.

come on people someone has to have either liked it or disliked it tell me what you thought. Do you like the remake more or less have you only seen the remake not the original.

what things do you think they did in the original better or not as good. what did they not add to the remake that you thought they should have.

Guy
I'm interested in seeing this. I've heard from many people that it's a 'classic thriller'. I went to IMDB.com and they don't have it listed, they lied George Sluizer as directing the 1993 re-make. That's probably a mistake.

Nope it's right he did directed his on re-make like Hitchcock did with The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Original
The Vanshing
it's under the name Spoorloos which I'm guessing is french for Vanishing.

Remake
check it out The Vanshing

One of the most haunting thrillers ever made this one delivers on all fronts. Beautifully shot, well written with a very deliberate pace this film is like a chinese thumb screw.

The tension just builds and builds with occasional venting. All the cast are brilliant and go along way to drawing us into this world of tension and surprises.

Hard to believe the same guy directed the horrible Kiefer Sutherland remake. This version is smart and powerful.

Not to be overlooked go grab this bad boy right away.

It was beauty killed the beast.
The Dutch version is an excellent film with everbuilding suspense, and a strong dramatic arc; unfortunately, the American remake is a dumbed down, watered down version.

The Criterion DVD has an excellent transfer, but sadly it's pretty much bare-bones as far as special features are concerned. A commentary track by Sluzier explaining what the hell he was thinking in remaking the film would have been interesting to hear.