King Kong?

→ in
Tools    

I enjoyed it but there were things that bothered me. The 10 minute scene where about 25 of the men were running through the large herd of the Brontosaurus' legs only loosing a few men. Um......dont think so.

And what was up with Kong shaking the chick up and down early after he first took her? He should have snapped her neck for sure.

There was more that annoyed me but over all, I still like the film.

I think that King Kong was a great movie but it was to long and should have been made 3 movies, the city/ship would be one, then the jungle, and then NewYork,also it would lead on to minor characters like that kid jimmy and his friend the firstmate i think it was and took the time using them and then suddenly ended but it was a pretty good movie other then that

The movie wasn't all that bad, but it could have easily done with about 30 minutes cut out.

Within that 30 minutes, they'd be best off having removed any of the "love scenes" between Ann and Kong. The scene where they are skating on the ice in Central Park made me sick to my stomach.

It can't rain all the time
The first time I watched this I loved it, the second time I liked it. It was a similar experience for me as watching the Lord of the Rings films. Jackson is good at spectacle, and galloping adventure, but put through the scrutiny of multiple viewings without the advantage of the big screen, these special effects heavy films don't hold up. But maybe that is what being a blockbuster movie is all about.

A system of cells interlinked
I love this film, even with the (very few) issues it has.

Originally Posted by adidasss
very few issues? mmkkkaayyy...you had no problems with the island part?
Which parts did you enjoy anyways adidasss?

Originally Posted by Escape
Which parts did you enjoy anyways adidasss?
well the first part was good drama, and the boat part too, and obviously the ending was fairly emotional, especially the frozen lake scene. the island part had it's moments, the look at the sunset, very nice and intimate, the scene when she won him over...basically, i found most of the action sequences unneccessary( especially the canyon scene which lasted about 10 minutes, 9 of which should have been cut out....i laughed at that scene really...then i pressed the fast forward button )...the dinosaurs were really not needed...so next time Mr. Jackson, just ask me and i'll tell you how to make your own film...it'll be brill..

well the first part was good drama, and the boat part too, and obviously the ending was fairly emotional, especially the frozen lake scene. the island part had it's moments, the look at the sunset, very nice and intimate, the scene when she won him over...
Yeah, I enjoyed all that too. Loved how they were playing on the frozen pond. The sunrise was cool but she should have been an Ice statue by that time heheh.

basically, i found most of the action sequences unneccessary( especially the canyon scene which lasted about 10 minutes, 9 of which should have been cut out....i laughed at that scene
Yeah too much there. Still would rather it be there than not though.

so next time Mr. Jackson, just ask me and i'll tell you how to make your own film...it'll be brill..)
lol, i'll be looking forward to your movie adidass.

Welcome to the human race...
This film didn't impress me at all. I saw the 1933 version a few weeks before I saw this and I think that was superior. To be honest, I don't get the fuss over the whole thing.

An eye-boggling gorilla with silky-smooth movement? I'd go to the zoo.

Dinosaurs racing around and eating people? I'd watch Jurassic Park.

And if I wanted an unlikely romance between a wide-eyed blonde and a massive, hideous monster, I'd watch a Troma movie.

Plus, there's always the plotholes such as how the hell a mostly-incapacitated crew can fit a massive ape onto a ship which is obviously too small. And the acting makes Troma look like Shakespeare.

Spare yourselves. Rent the 1933 version, complete with shoddy animation and Kong's sh*t-eating grin. You'll get more entertainment from a so-bad-it's-good monster B-movie than from a fancy yet soulless Hollywood blockbuster.

Pliskin out.

It can't rain all the time
the dinosaurs were really not needed...
The dinosaurs really were needed to keep it true to the original. It was the giant insects and creepy crawlies which were really unnecessary.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Plus, there's always the plotholes such as how the hell a mostly-incapacitated crew can fit a massive ape onto a ship which is obviously too small.
I always just assumed since we were unsure how much time had elapsed after they kocked him unconscience till they got him back to New York, they kept knocking him out till a larger ship was called in.

Originally Posted by eviltwin
The dinosaurs really were needed to keep it true to the original. It was the giant insects and creepy crawlies which were really unnecessary.
I have the 30's version but have yet to watch. I forgot dinasours were in the orignal actually. How did they transport him in that version? Was the ship allot larger?

In the Beginning...
This film didn't impress me at all.
I feel sorry for you.

An eye-boggling gorilla with silky-smooth movement? I'd go to the zoo.
At the zoo, the gorillas aren't 25 feet tall, and they don't box dinosaurs and climb the Empire State Building. I think you're selfishly spitting on the amount of work and dedication it took to achieve a believable Kong. But have fun at the zoo!

Dinosaurs racing around and eating people? I'd watch Jurassic Park.
By that logic, I doubt you'd ever have to watch a new film ever again. But what's the fun in that?

And if I wanted an unlikely romance between a wide-eyed blonde and a massive, hideous monster, I'd watch a Troma movie.
Because Troma movies are so passionate and subtle, speaking volumes about our unspoken emotions in an unfair, volatile world. Yeah.

Plus, there's always the plotholes such as how the hell a mostly-incapacitated crew can fit a massive ape onto a ship which is obviously too small.
Look, in the area of plotholes, I can usually empathize. But Jesus Christ, a 25-foot tall gorilla...isn't THAT a pretty big plothole? I'll agree that even fantasy set in real terms is responsible for some degree of believability, but you forget - this was the original story, and there's some novelty in the fact that they get him to New York City somehow. Besides, if you sit there and focus too much on "they couldn't have gotten him on the boat!", then I'm afraid you missed the point already. No wonder the film didn't impress you.

And the acting makes Troma look like Shakespeare.

Spare yourselves. Rent the 1933 version, complete with shoddy animation and Kong's sh*t-eating grin. You'll get more entertainment from a so-bad-it's-good monster B-movie than from a fancy yet soulless Hollywood blockbuster.
No, spare yourself. You're the one who didn't like it. Don't presume to tell me, or anyone else, what is good cinema. I don't think King Kong is perfect, but I never expected it to be. What it did, though, was make me believe that a giant gorilla really did come to 1930s New York - something a marionette puppet on a cardboard set will NEVER do. And gee whiz, Peter Jackson showed me a gorilla actually emote, and show more honest love and courage than most people I'll ever meet. I'd hardly call that "soulless."

YOWZA!!

I see a fight brewing and am very scared at the moment.
I need to be held right now.

My only problems with this film are on the Island, it's almost like they're trying to make another film midway through, a lot needed cutting from it especially since it's where most the downfalls are.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
My only problems with this film are on the Island, it's almost like they're trying to make another film midway through, a lot needed cutting from it especially since it's where most the downfalls are.
Yeah, it could have used alot more editing, but I think the major pitfall was writing such a large cast of characters. They could have cut a few of those guys out, and still retained the "ensemble adventure" feel. I thought the bug scene was completely unnecessary, and the stampeding dinosaur scene could have been cut in half. The first hour could have been a little less slow and meandering too, but that's all I'd change. The last hour is flawless.

Welcome to the human race...
@Sleezy - regardless those are my reasons for not liking King Kong. I find modern special effects as a whole impotent and unimpressive. And there wasn't really anything cool that wasn't already in the original.

Blargh.

God, this film was LONG! I figured I would be unimpressed and wouldnt even rent it - so Im at my sisters, and she pops it in, and I IGNORED the first half of the movie (forever and day), and by the time I decided to call it a night (a night!) I happened to walk past the screen and actually look at it.

Visually beautiful, and you know, I am a sucker for the aesthetically appealing. I came in on the insect fight, and couldnt stop watching - it was like watching Big Love - wanting to change the channel, but not being able to, all the while condemning yourself for being such an sap would watch this drivel.

So I say, watch it if you can, but dont rent/buy it yourself.

King Kong is definitely worth seeing. It is a terrific popcorn movie. It has non-stop action in a way that's reminiscent of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" . It definitely should be seen on the big screen. Director Peter Jackson has become the new master of escapism, eclipsing the current vision of George Lucas.
I enjoyed the film also....

Here's some things of note.
1. The natives looked 'sexy'...you could tell they were like Swetish people covered in mud...in the past movies, I think they actually used real life Iland populations...and in the very first Kong, 1933, I think they actually used Africans...

2. In this movie, the woman wasn't just a screaming, unreasonable maniac...In the first Kong, 1933, the ladies only lines were screaming, yell, and more screaming...King Kong saved her life, and all she did was scream...I bet kong treated her better than some of her dates...and all she did was scream scream scream...we all scream for ice-cream...

3. In this remake, the lady had to actually earn her life...by performing infront of Kong, and letting Kong see that she was 'unique', interesting.
In the past Kongs, her only qualification from being aten was that she had glowing blonde hair...that was it, I noticed Kong made quick adurbs, snacks, out of the other native women...
In this movie, I got the sense he would of ate her, if she did not distinquish herself in some way shape or form....and I thought that whole dancing sequence was 'cute'...if she hadn't done that, I do believe Kong would have ate her...

4. I loved the added giant insect cavern scene...it just added an extra horror element to Skull Iland...

5. Also liked the ice-skating scene...it totally humanized Kong...it was their moment...every relationship has 'that moment'...

6. And to this day, I have never watched empire state building scene...it's just to heart wrenching...

7. I did not like the 'beer' gut they gave Kong, what was with that pop belly? It just reminded me of some guy sitting down on the couch drinking to many budweisers...

8. The T-rexes were cool...but what was it about that lady that made her so 'yummy' to Skull Iland residence? I mean she was like crack cocaine to them...surely there was better tasting, more juicey animals they would have prefered...but in the movie, all the creatures just seemed to have an appetite for that lady. Being blonde on Kong Iland is definatly a added hazard...

9. In this version, I also do believe they showed the skeletal remains of Kongs next to kin...that kinda made it sad, It made me realize how alone it was...and that there use to be more of them, but for whatever reason they perished, and Kong was the sole surviver...

10. In none of the films does the soppesed hero guy ever thank Kong, or acknowledge, that Kong saves the womans life numerious times...nor does she ever thank him...how ungrateful...infact, she was probably safer with Kong than with that human guy...

11. The value of her life was placed above and beyond many of those on the expidition, many guys lost their lives trying to recover the lady...if the situation was reversed would she had been so attimate at rescuing them?

Over all, I liked it...of all 3, I think it had the best acting and the best cast and plot and effects...and cutest natives, which looked like Swedes covered in mud and gooh....

@Sleezy - regardless those are my reasons for not liking King Kong. I find modern special effects as a whole impotent and unimpressive. And there wasn't really anything cool that wasn't already in the original.

Blargh.
I agree with you about the special effects. Most special effects I've seen make you think "Oh, that's quite clever" but you don't feel anything except a vague artistic appreciation.

The original was short and tragic. The remake looks very saccharine.