CD Tab

Tools    

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Anyway.... Have you fallen in love with "Range Life" yet?
Yup. and also "Cut Your Hair" , "Newark Wilder" and "Gold Soundz"

Meanwhile:

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Ramones - The Ramones

I'm starting to think they are the only band that matters.
Yeah, their whole concept (I know it's a bad word but couldn't think of any better) as a band was completely water proof. Their cartoonish image worked because they were dead serious about it and had the songs and the sound and the attitude to back it up. I was about to park my car the other day when "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" came on the radio and I had to turn up the volume and stay in the car until the song was over. It's incredible how that song - almost 30 years old - sounds better, fresher, rawer, more desperate and simply more lovelier than most contemporary rock bands.

1, 2, 3, 4....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Yeah, their whole concept (I know it's a bad word but couldn't think of any better) as a band was completely water proof. Their cartoonish image worked because they were dead serious about it and had the songs and the sound and the attitude to back it up. I was about to park my car the other day when "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" came on the radio and I had to turn up the volume and stay in the car until the song was over. It's incredible how that song - almost 30 years old - sounds better, fresher, rawer, more desperate and simply more lovelier than most contemporary rock bands.

1, 2, 3, 4....
You know, the only reason they wrote they own songs is because they weren't good enough to learn songs by other bands. Also Dee Dee was supposed to be the singer, but he couldn't sing and play at the same time, so Joey stepped away from the drums (which he was having trouble with anyway because he couldn't keep up). Thank God, I couldn't imagine these songs without his clipped faux british singing. It sounds so odd theoretically but the fact that he still sticks with it gives it all the charm in the world. They are the most unlikely band ever but they just went for it and you can feel that easygoing passion in every note. They even inspired The Clash to become a serious band when they were in England.

Originally Posted by Strummer521
You know, the only reason they wrote they own songs is because they weren't good enough to learn songs by other bands. Also Dee Dee was supposed to be the singer, but he couldn't sing and play at the same time, so Joey stepped away from the drums (which he was having trouble with anyway because he couldn't keep up). Thank God, I couldn't imagine these songs without his clipped faux british singing. It sounds so odd theoretically but the fact that he still sticks with it gives it all the charm in the world. They are the most unlikely band ever but they just went for it and you can feel that easygoing passion in every note. They even inspired The Clash to become a serious band when they were in England.
Yeah, the British punk bands influenced a lot of American bands, but Ramones influenced the Brits first.

Too bad most of the Ramoners are dead.... As well as Strummer...

Technically not a CD, but I just bought some mp3s from itunes:
"Gimme Danger" - The Stooges
"Blank Generation" - Richard Hell
"Temptation Inside Your Heart" - The Velvet Underground
"A Long December" - Counting Crows

I can't remember everything I've gotten lately, but some highlights are The Theoretical Girls collection, Western Culture, by Henry Cow, a Pogues Reissue (Rum, Sodomy..), a couple early Sparks albums, Yello reissues, and a couple albums by the Fall (Hex Enduction and another one that I haven't listened to yet).

Blank Generation - Richard Hell and the Voidoids

Robert Quine is such a unique guitarist. Their drummer sets the template for dancable rock. Richard Hell's vocals are so out of control. Nobody else could make such lively songs about hating life. This record is nuts!

Do you know my poetry?
The Ramones - Leave Home

Wonderful. And the entire live performance at the Roxy as an extra makes the album even more superb.

Found this on sale and I had to hear what they were doing lately. Plus it came with a live dvd. so far it's solid, with a couple real standouts. The band always had a well documented infatuation for Love but other than that it was difficult to make any solid comparisons even though you knew they sounded like an amalgam of a bunch of old bands (a cross between Donovan and The Smiths perhaps?). Now it has become clearer. You can hear Simon & Garfunkel ("White Collar Boy"), David Bowie ("Sukie in the Graveyard") and even Stevie Wonder believe it or not ("Song For Sunshine"). Some fans will be disappointed by the new directions the band is taking. It's unfortunate that when a band really polishes things up a bit and seems to accheive the sound they've been going for all along the fans often turn on them. I hope that won't happen here. It's not a brilliant album, maybe not even a great one. But it sure is an interesting one.

Okay so The Sex Pistols were pretty crap. But this is an essential album really.

I would like to recommend The Knife from Sweden. They're a fantastic electronica/pop duo!

Check out "Silent Shout" (the video). It's amazing!

For you brits, they're playing in London 10th April (and in Berlin 6th April, in case they're any Germans here).

Some more today:

Yesterday I recieved the following CDs

Metanoia by Porcupine Tree
The Masquerade Overture by Pendragon
Feels Good To Me by Bill Bruford
Entropia by Pain Of Salvation

Will probably buy some more later