The Watcher - Keanu's new thriller

Tools    

Anyone heard about this one yet?

Its a new Keanu Reeves/James Spader suspense thriller set for a September release called The Watcher.

Keanu actually plays a psycho-killer (god save us).
Spader plays a retired fed trying to keep away from Keanu, whose obsessed with outwitting him.

I haven't seen it yet, but a friend of a friend worked on the film, knows Im into thrillers and pretty much anything James Spader does and told me about it.

stay tuned
-the tiger

Havn't heard of it, but man oh man it's amazing Keanu can fit all this in..."The Replacement", this Spader flick, and the next two Matrix movies are coming up! All thanks to either "Speed" or "Bill & Ted", depending on the intelligence of the person you ask.

Movie sounds good...Keanu's actually a better actor than I gave him credit for early on...glad he's become so active.

If anyone else has info on this flick I'd love to hear it!

Hey there commish! Sorry it took so long to respond.

I got to see The Watcher when a friend of mine who worked on the film invited me to a preview screening.

By now you've probably seen a couple of trailers and can make a few educated guesses as to what the flick is about.

So I won't spoil the fun. I will say, however, that Keanu manages to hold his own in a very tricky role. Most actors when given the chance to play a serial killer really over-do it; Vince Vaughn in Psycho (admittedly, he had a tough act to follow), and how about Jud Nelson in a film called Relentless that came out way back in '89? Don't remember that one? GOOD! Keanu manages to keep his performance under control by concentrating more on his characters obsessive relationship with James Spader than with "acting like a psycho".

James Spader. What can I say. The man has a gift for subtletly that most actors can only dream of.

Good script, good visuals, good soundtrack, and plenty of fire.

I better stop.

-the tiger

You didn't like Judd Nelson in Relentless? Man you've got high standards. (just kidding, of course).

I have high hopes for this film (even though it has James Spader in it, which is often instant death for any film). But yeah, I just don't see Keanu as a bad guy of any kind, let alone a psycho of some sort. I'm interested to see him pull it off.

Either of you guys catch Bravo's Gary Oldman profile this month re-capping Oldman's career by including a clip Keanu in another scary film (some people think its scary): Dracula?

Ooooh. Keanu, bless his heart, is way out of his league. And to make matters worse if you'll remember, he attempts a british accent in this film.

Im really glad to see Keanu getting involved in more appropriate projects for himself.

Remember him in Branaugh's Much Ado? Oh man.

He was okay in "Much Ado"...Denzel and Kenny (Kenneth) were BRILLIANT. So was Emma...that movie was amazingly well cast, but Keanu was out of place. He's a fine actor...just not that kind of actor. I wouldn't say Dracula was totally "out of his league". That implies a lack of skill.

Keanu is no Gary Oldman or Kenneth Brannagh, but he's better than they at certain types of characters. I think he's starting to find his niche...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
This movie looks alot like the book Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. It was the prequel to Silence of the Lambs. Well in it a guy tries to retire only to be brough on another case, and then has to save his family and himself from a killer who calls himself The Red Dragon. Not to bad a of a book, Hannibal was better though.

THAT'S IT! Manhunter...almost positive thats it.

Creepy movie, but fairly interesting anyway. The detective was the guy who catches Hannibal, or something like that...but in the movie I think he mentions him.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Yep, he catches him, and then hannibal later tells the red dragon where the good guys family is and he tries to go kill them. Hannibal the movie, will be unbearably good.

It should be interesting...Foster isn't coming back though. She said she doesn't want to play that character anymore, knowing what she "does" in this next flick. Julianne Moore is good, though.

Well maybe the role of whatever character he played in Dracula isn't totally out of his league.

My implication was as to his sharing any actual screen time with Oldman, in which case I reiterate, he just can't keep up. Its as if Oldman is in another production of Dracula all together, one in which Keanu isn't the swashbuckling good ol boy hero with a bad English accent.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Man, I can tell we're some serious movie lovers. Only here can people start with Keanu Reeves, end up on Gary Oldman, turn to Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson and actually know and appreciate Much Ado About Nothing! i'm in heaven

ok, the watcher ... i've got to tell you, the second i saw the trailer I sighed. keanu isn't BAD but I feel he's best suited to films like the Matrix. He tries ... but, well, no matter how hard he tries his voice stays the same. An actor's voice is as important to him as his body, his face ... and Keanu has very little expressive range, little subtlety when it comes to enunciating his lines. he's better when it comes to terse dialogue, to a man of little words, which is why Neo was so suited to him. With Speed, he was warming up to that lean, quiet action hero thing, and with Matrix the improvement in his voice is obvious. Johnny Mnemonic was also on the way to finding that niche you guys talk about it, and I kind of feel he ought to stick to that realm because well, I just can't buy him as much else.

i'm glad, following what angrytiger said, that he doesn't overdo it. i'm still leery of watching him try to work his mojo on a woman (notice that his is a screen presence that is usually worked ON by a woman) and then smilingly kill her ... just don't know if I can buy it. but he deserves a chance.

one thing's for sure though, I'm not going to find this movie scary ... i'll probably be trying very hard not to smile when Keanu leans in with his long hair and says, "You're very pretty ..."

Life without movies is like cereal without milk.

Originally posted by thmilin
Man, I can tell we're some serious movie lovers. Only here can people start with Keanu Reeves, end up on Gary Oldman, turn to Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson and actually know and appreciate Much Ado About Nothing! i'm in heaven
Yup...quite a crowd here, huh? "Much Ado" is a great movie...my younger sisters always giggle at the giant bathing part in the beginning...a fabulous movie all around.

"Yay! And a case to put it into!"

Originally posted by thmilin
one thing's for sure though, I'm not going to find this movie scary ... i'll probably be trying very hard not to smile when Keanu leans in with his long hair and says, "You're very pretty ..."
LOL...I know exactly what you mean. Try to watch that movie with a straight face...I won't be able to...I'll always think of Keanu as "Ted Theodore Logan"!