King Kong?

→ in
Tools    

Can anyone tell me if it's worth seeing?
From what i've heard it's a bit overrated.

Lets put a smile on that block
Definatly see it soon. King Kong is the definition of blockbuster. The reason films are made to see on the big screen.

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle

There are about 3 or 4 must see movies a year in my book. Go see it on the screen.

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
If only there was some way to do a search of the MovieForums site looking for threads and thoughts on Peter Jackson's King Kong. Oh, and I guess you haven't heard that it's overrated from the many, many members who have sung its praises here...because you didn't bother to look.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

King Kong is a very watchable, well-made film, even though I find it to be somewhat dated.

It would probably qualify as a good date movie... if you happen to live in Mississippi!

Originally Posted by darkhorse
King Kong is a very watchable, well-made film, even though I find it to be somewhat dated.

Itif you happen to live in Mississippi!
I dare you to say that while playing craps in Biloxi.

Originally Posted by 7thson
I dare you to say that while playing craps in Biloxi.
Okay, I apologize if what I said sounded insensitive to Hurricane Katrina victims!

My sympathies go out to all of you! Always have!

Okay, I apologize if what I said sounded insensitive to Hurricane Katrina victims!

My sympathies go out to all of you! Always have!
Offically, you have made my: "Will never respond to anything you have to say" list.

Originally Posted by 7thson
Offically, you have made my: "Will never respond to anything you have to say" list.
Okay, whatever!

It would probably qualify as a good date movie... if you happen to live in Mississippi!
Uh-huh. And which Mississippi residents do you think look like giant monkeys?

What a stupid, stupid comment. Among all the many dumb things you have said on this board over the years, Django (and they are legion), this may have jumped right to the top three.

There's treachery afoot!!!
This movie was agreat watch and I really enjoyed it. The action scenes were some of the best I've seen onscreen. Kong looked so incredibly realistic I found myself taking a second look at him. The only downside of it was the length, the first hour just seemed to drag on and on.
8/10

Female assassin extraordinaire.
for the relationship between beast and woman, the very real emotional nature behind that relationship, the gorgeous action scenes, cinematography, set and costume design, special effects, and for the recreation and improvement in redepicting something already done - it vascillates between 7 and 8.

It is not, technically, putting a new spin on anything. It is also over romanticized. we get the bond between woman and beast without needing to be hit over the head with it.

case in point is what we saw happen between frodo and samwise to the point of people wondering if they were in love, we saw happening here with Naomi and King Kong. I do not need to see a prolonged shot of her exiting the mist of New York streets to return to his embrace. I do not need to see prolonged shots of her staring at him hypnotically in confusion and fascination and helpless connection. at some point, human beings stop losing themselves in the gaze of others. so do animals. we just don't need it hyperromanticized like that. i'm not saying romanticized in the "run off together and marry" sense; i'm saying romanticized in the literary, story-telling sense.

so, the director overdid it, quite a lot, and also let jack black run a little off his leash. i think he's perfectly capable of drama and drama mixed with comedy, but he needs to learn subtlety. naomi and kong managed to convey mounds without even speaking but his bravado rattatatt conveyed nothing new for 3 hours. or maybe he knows subtlety and the boss just didn't smack him and make him remember it.

anyhoo. enjoyable up to a point. if they'd cut out 30 min it would have a strong 8.

Well you've all convinced me, i'll go and watch it this week sometime.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by thmilin
case in point is what we saw happen between frodo and samwise to the point of people wondering if they were in love, we saw happening here with Naomi and King Kong. I do not need to see a prolonged shot of her exiting the mist of New York streets to return to his embrace. I do not need to see prolonged shots of her staring at him hypnotically in confusion and fascination and helpless connection. at some point, human beings stop losing themselves in the gaze of others. so do animals. we just don't need it hyperromanticized like that. i'm not saying romanticized in the "run off together and marry" sense; i'm saying romanticized in the literary, story-telling sense.

so, the director overdid it, quite a lot, and also let jack black run a little off his leash. i think he's perfectly capable of drama and drama mixed with comedy, but he needs to learn subtlety.
But I don't think there is supposed to be anything subtle about a King Kong movie. It's a blockbuster picture, and that's the reason to see it on the big screen. The whole feel of the film is an old-fashioned one, which means plenty of romance. Many of those long "gazing" shots are straight out of old black-and-white romance films (all that was missing was the darkened edges framing the eyes). Some of the shots, I agree, were corny (like the "walking through the fog" Ann Darrow shot), but come on. This is King Kong. Old Hollywood, over-the-top, action/suspense/romance flair. I think Jackson made things believable enough with the attention to detail, but kept things just on the side of fantasy because he understands that the relationship between a woman and a giant ape is simply that: fantasy. The stylized romanticism needs to be there, because it gives us something outside reality, and because it makes the experience a timeless one. This isn't a subtle relationship. This is a once-and-for-all relationship.

Arresting your development
Jack Black was the beast... right?

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Jack Black was the beast... right?
Jimmy and Hayes were the lovers, no?

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Ophelia
Jimmy and Hayes were the lovers, no?
...or Choy and Lumpy The Cook.