The Departed

Tools    

The only thread I could find on this wasScorsese's Infernal Affairs. Seeing as it's now been titled The Departed I think there can be a new thread on it. Anyway, i'm glad Scorsese's directing it so the fact it's a remake doesn't bother me as much. I heard it was a remake of the whole trilogy, though IMDB says otherwise. If it is all 3, then i'm curious how that would work. Personally I'm not keen on the choice of DiCaprio, Wahlberg and Damon. I'd hope to see De Niro with a role and i also heard Jack Nicholson is looking to be Irish ganglord.

yea it looks intresting i would rather have DeNiro than Decaprio but after seeing the Aviator i really saw Dicaprios acting talent so i still dont mind him in it.

Ok, wtf, Anthony Anderson has been cast....

Now i've seen the Infernal Affairs trilogy, my guess would be he's playing Keung but the cast (bar Jack Nicholson) is looking a bit iffy.

Anyone got any opinions on the matter?

Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
i would rather have DeNiro than Decaprio
Why not both? I mean, De Niro won't be playing a young cop, will he?

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
the cast (bar Jack Nicholson) is looking a bit iffy.
So Ray Winstone, Matt Damon and Leonardo Di Caprio are all a bit "iffy"?

Go and watch Scum, Sexy Beast, Last Orders, Good Will Hunting, The Talented Mr. Ripley, This Boy's Life, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Basketball Diaries, The Beach, Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator, then ask yourself if you still think the cast is bit "iffy".

I think the cast is pretty good. I'm not even too bothered about Mark Wahlberg, remember Boogie Nights?

Just because Di Caprio, Damon and Wahlberg are movie stars, doesn't mean they can't act. They will be under the direction of Scorsese, don't forget.

As for Anthony Anderson, I think he'll just add (or at least try to add) a little comic relief. I don't see him playing in a serious or major role.

So, yeah, looking forward to it.

I've seen most those films, I just don't see the actors choosen matching Tony Leung or Andy Lau, mainly in terms of age and acting ability- though if The Departed is indeed all 3 Infernal Affairs films, this may be a practical choice. I forgot Ray Winstone was in it, and i'm glad to hear that he is. I have no doubt it will be a fine film under Scorsese's direction.

Any idea's on who DiCaprio, Wahlberg and Damon will be playing?

Heres a list of wjos playing who according to this website

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407887/

Not to sure about walberg, but decaprio instantly puts me off.
And irish mafia? Do they smuggle potatoes and peat?

Originally Posted by Tea Barking
And Irish mafia? Do they smuggle potatoes and peat?
Really and truly you've never heard of organized crime being run by Irish-Americans? The Westies in New York City's Hell's Kitchen are perhaps the best example, and the Boston Mob has been infused with Irish since the 1930s, including up to the present day (and The Departed is set in Boston). You're no Southie, Tea. What about Leo in Miller's Crossing, fer cripe's sake?

Go rent State of Grace (1990 - Phil Joanou) and get back to this thread. Oh, and head to South Boston and make with the potato jokes - they positively love 'em.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
... Just because Di Caprio, Damon and Wahlberg are movie stars, doesn't mean they can't act. ..
Best thing I've read in a week.

Is this project shelved, due to the producers divorcing, or is it still in the works?

Anyone?
Anyone?
Bueller?

Arresting your development
And irish mafia? Do they smuggle potatoes and peat?
In my household, those are fighting words.

Is their anything that isn't fighting words?
Thanks for the info holden i never knew that.
I'm sure decap has had one or two good performances but i personally can't stand to see him trying to act and having watched titanic i try to avoid any film his is in.
Samson, i saw Ray Winstone in an interveiw the other week and he seem to think it was still being made.
Think i'll head to boston and see if their Peach Cobbler is any good.

Arresting your development
Is their anything that isn't fighting words?
Peach Cobbler?

Forget it.

Wow, just seen the trailer and i was VERY suprised and disappointed to see how much it looks like the original. I was hoping for an entirely new take and especially did NOT want to see entire scenes reshot.

I'll be seeing this in the next few weeks.. Looking forward to it indeed.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
I found the original quite average and forgetable. I'm only looking forward to the remake because it's Scorsese. I highly doubt it'll be a masterpiece though.

Jack........that's all I'm saying