I Need a Quick Review

→ in
Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Another vote for The Winslow Boy. I think it's one of Mamet's best with the sadly missed Nigel Hawthorne giving a towering performance. Even Rebecca Pidgeon is less annoying than usual.

Great commentary on the DVD too.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Even Rebecca Pidgeon is less annoying than usual.
I LOVE Rebecca Pidgeon. Far from finding her annoying, I find her delightful and beautiful and talented and I'm jealous of David Mamet. Have you listened to any of her albums? She's a multi-talented woman.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What sort of stuff does she sing? I honestly can't take her as an actress at all and was more jealous of Mamet when he was married to Lindsay Crouse.

Lindsay Crouse is a very good actress and I like her a lot, but I find Rebecca miles more appealing than her.

I don't know how to categorize Pidgeon's music. I suppose you'd say it is the kind of stuff you'd hear in a supper club on a Saturday night. Kind of light Jazz mixed with a bit of the folk tradition I suppose, with a dash of Cole Porter, and each album is a little different from the other. I dunno. Why don't you go to Amazon.com or somplace else on the net and hear a sample or three, you tell me what category you'd slot her work into.

She sings, plays guitar and is also a songwriter. She writes both the words and the music for many of her songs, and on some of them Mamet either co-writes or writes as well. "The Word Around Town" on The New York Girls' Club is probably my favorite of her songs thus far (she's released five albums to date). On that particular song David Mamet wrote the words and music, with an assist from Shel Silverstein.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I don't know how to categorize Pidgeon's music. I suppose you'd say it is the kind of stuff you'd hear in a supper club on a Saturday night. Kind of light Jazz mixed with a bit of the folk tradition I suppose, with a dash of Cole Porter, and each album is a little different from the other. I dunno. Why don't you go to Amazon.com or somplace else on the net and hear a sample or three, you tell me what category you'd slot her work into.

She sings, plays guitar and is also a songwriter. She writes both the words and the music for many of her songs, and on some of them Mamet either co-writes or writes as well. "The Word Around Town" on The New York Girls' Club is probably my favorite of her songs thus far (she's released five albums to date). On that particular song David Mamet wrote the words and music, with an assist from Shel Silverstein.
Thanks for that Holden. It's a bit folky with a jazzy edge, as you say, isn't it? Not bad at all actually and reminds me of The Cowboy Junkies...

A system of cells interlinked
Currently released overseas, with no US date set in stone as of yet... Wondering if anyone had seen...

Final Fantasy : Advent Children

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Sedai
Currently released overseas, with no US date set in stone as of yet... Wondering if anyone had seen...

Final Fantasy : Advent Children
I have. It was decently entertaining, had some really cool sequences and of course a phenomenal score, but I felt it was pretty empty overall. Then again, I've never once played any of the games. People I know who have played the games LOVED it, though. It seemed like the wetdream for anyone who was intimately involved with the game, but otherwise its just flashy.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by OG-
...It seemed like the wetdream for anyone who was intimately involved with the game...
In this context, is that a good thing or bad?

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by OG-
I have. It was decently entertaining, had some really cool sequences and of course a phenomenal score, but I felt it was pretty empty overall. Then again, I've never once played any of the games. People I know who have played the games LOVED it, though. It seemed like the wetdream for anyone who was intimately involved with the game, but otherwise its just flashy.
That would be me

FF-7 is one of my all time favorite video games, one that moved me to tears with it's now infamous storyline and plot twists. I can;t wait to revisit Cloud et al.

Has anyone seen Peeping Tom i was just wondering if it's any good.

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
Has anyone seen Peeping Tom i was just wondering if it's any good.
Yes, of course I've seen it many times, and it's better than good; it's great. See it ASAP.

OK cheers, i'll probably buy it if I see it cheap on DVD somewhere.

hey guys.....actually i haven't seen "the transporter",,,, i know it's old but i didn't care to it since it's been on dvds,,,,i felt guilty it seemed yesterday on T.V kind of cool action...

do you advice me to see it??

If you like action and violence, it is not bad at all. IMO anyway. But thats about all you will get out of it, which for me was enough to like it, not love it mind you, but good rental I would say.

it seems like i'm going to see it and after that i'll give you my opinion...

So many good movies, so little time.
Kippendorf's Tribe was really bad. Not worth seeing.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

If... and O Lucky Man!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hey Gazza

I enjoyed If... a lot, but it's been a long while since i saw it. My one-phrase summary would be 'Harry Potter on acid'. I remember lots of late-teen private-school rebellion, 60s-style hedonism, dreamlike insanities and frequent switches between B/W and colour (due to budget inefficienies i believe).

Give it a go