Best Opening & Closing Scenes

Tools    

Movie Forums Member
Best opening scene has to go to Fargo. I live that opening scene with the opening song by Carter Burwell.

As for a closing scene, I really enjoyed the closing of Mulholland Dr and I really enjoyed the opening of Mulholland Dr., but with that said I'm going to have to give the best closing scene to Godfather Part 1 in that it shows a complete full circle of character and that I think makes that movie amazing.

It wasn't really an opening scene but more of the initial movie build up--the horror movie Jeepers Creepers did an excellent job of setting up the movie ---and quickly went down hill from there.

The best intial credits goes to Napolean Dynamite and the movie Seven. (I know this wasn't part of the question but I had to just throw it in there)

A system of cells interlinked
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978, Kaufman)

Ok, so the opening isn't all that great, but it is still pretty cool. The ending, however, is one of the most memorable scenes from my childhood, and I can still hear that scream....

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
The best opening scene in a movie in my opinion is in the first Scream film. The way it escalates from a phone call to an all out massacre is so clever. You know something is about to happen, but you don't expect it to be that bad. It has been made fun of quite a bit and there are a lot of people who don't like it, but it's definitely a classic opening sequence.

Best closing, Saw, even more better than The Usual Suspects ending.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
I loved the ending to Snatch. Where everything just went their way.
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

Hitchhikers guide-so long and thanks 4 all d fish
star wars 3 darth vader transformation

My favorite opening is from Raising Arizona. The precredits sequence is wonderful. Happiness had a great opening too, as does Aguirre, Wrath of God.

As for closing, the Searchers was a good pick, and Shane would have been too. The Wicker Man's was great, as was The Incredibles'. Also The Bride of Frankenstein, The Straight Story, Tokyo Story and Bubba Ho-Tep. Oh, and Lost in Translation.

For God's sake don't watch "signs"
Have I to say louder? Okay...here goes the good things about Bruce almighty's ending sequence:

-Bruce discover he can do his part to help the world.
-Kiss (To be truely ended a movie has to be a kiss (Except Constatntine with the almost cigarrete scene that rocked))
-And then cut to the poor man that appeared here and there in all the movie with a sign with something like "Heaven is here" and then he trasforms in front of our eyes and become God and then we know that the whole vacation thing was a plan of god to make Bruce a better person because he helped him when he was a poor guy with a sign.
-Oh almost forgot %%SPOILER WARNING%%

If anyone said that this ends rocks sorry I had no time to read all the posts. If anyone said constatntine ending rocks...I respect you.
My avatar is the evil doctor whom tried to test if his dumbness potion he put in the water had worked. So he created a movie to defy the inteligence of the most lesser minded human beings he decided to call this movie "signs".

Welcome to the human race...
Originally Posted by Godsend
I loved the ending to Snatch. Where everything just went their way.
Lock Stock had the lovable ambiguos ending though...

I don't know if it was a great opening scene but the bouncing baby in World According to Garp is certainly memorable.

And of course I'm fond of the "Unleash Hell" scene in Gladiator.

Didn't Titanic open with the scene of the boat sitting at the dock? And the boat was only slightly smaller than Jupiter.

First scene of the first Star Wars

Ending scene...Sixth Sense, Planet of the Apes

And a host of others that I can't remember.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Originally Posted by lucky_luke
If anyone said that this ends rocks sorry I had no time to read all the posts. If anyone said constatntine ending rocks...I respect you.
I think I once said that this was a sad excuse for a movie...do I still rock?

Originally Posted by stevo3001
My favorite opening is from Raising Arizona. The precredits sequence is wonderful. Happiness had a great opening too, as does Aguirre, Wrath of God.

As for closing, the Searchers was a good pick, and Shane would have been too. The Wicker Man's was great, as was The Incredibles'. Also The Bride of Frankenstein, The Straight Story, Tokyo Story and Bubba Ho-Tep. Oh, and Lost in Translation.
I loved the opening from Raising Arizona-I thought that it was great.

almost forgot, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, both the battle, and counseling session were amazing and hilarious

I think one of the best opening scenes ever to a movie was the one in Saving Provate Ryan. I enjoyed how Speilberg portrayed the horrors of war as the soldiers went onto the beach. And fought their way up the hills. Although it is very graphic, it gets his point out very nicely, and it a great tribute to all those who fought in the war.

As for closings, I would have to say the end of The Sixth Sense, i really enjoyed the twist ending.

I rather enjoyed the opening and closing scenes in Walk the Line ...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Ground Control To Major Thom
In the same film, that's more difficult.

I still think Once Upon A Time In The West holds up.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Ending scene to Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

When they play the KISS song God Gave Rock N Roll To You, I always get goosebumps.

Suspect's Reviews

Ground Control To Major Thom
Alien. Eerie opening ship and Riply signing off.