Best Opening & Closing Scenes

Tools    

So many good movies, so little time.
I think the movie with the best opening and closing scenes is

City Lights (1931)

The first scene with the statue is hysterical and the last scene is one of the most touching.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

A system of cells interlinked
I have to be the first one to say it....

Star Wars

I can still remember sitting my five year old ass down in the theater and wondering what was ahead when those rolling titles vanished into the distance. Pan down, and movies changed forever... The finale with the award ceremony had everyone standing and cheering in the theater, something I have yet to see again, to this day....

Best opening scene has to be saving private ryan and the best closing scene in my view is the usual suspects

Originally Posted by Silas
Best opening scene has to be saving private ryan and the best closing scene in my view is the usual suspects
YES!!!! Usual Supsects- greatest ending ever!

I'm gonna say the ending of MIB was one of the coolest, and definately gave interesting perspective to the universe

Welcome to the human race...
Movies with great openings:

Once Upon a Time in the West
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Player
Reservoir Dogs
Fight Club

Movies with great closings:

Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
The Evil Dead
The Wild Bunch
Easy Rider
The Shawshank Redemption

Defintely, Starwars, Reservoir Dogs and Saving Private Ryan for the best opening scene.

And of course The Usual Suspects would be for the closing scene. Oh and King Kong. The 70's version.

Defintely, Starwars, Reservoir Dogs and Saving Private Ryan for the best opening scene.

And of course The Usual Suspects would be for the closing scene. Oh and King Kong. The 70's version.

DOUBLE POST!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Eyes
DOUBLE POST!!!!!!!!
OMG NOT THE DREADED DP!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I NEED SOME BABY WIPES FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEK!! I'm so ashamed!!! I'm such a bad boy.

And for my penance, I shall leave it up for all to see this terrible blunder of mine.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Opening: Once Upon A Time In The West

All 13-odd minutes of it....fantastic.

Closing: The Searchers

"Ride away..."

So many good movies, so little time.
I agree with The Searchers as the best closing scene in the movies. Ethan being left outside the doorway of civilization along with John Wayne's unexpected tribute to Harey Carey really make it so for me.

However, when I started this thread, and I know I didn't phrase it very well, I was looking for the best opening and closing scenes in the same movie (The Searchers would still be high on my list).

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Opening: Once Upon A Time In The West

All 13-odd minutes of it....fantastic.
I agree. Not a hell of alot of talking but it still certainly got my attention.

District B13
Originally Posted by AngieQ
YES!!!! Usual Supsects- greatest ending ever!

"Just like that, poof, he's gone."

Citizen Kane (1941 - Orson Welles)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am having a nervous breakdance
The closing scene in Mulholland Drive.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by uconjack
However, when I started this thread, and I know I didn't phrase it very well, I was looking for the best opening and closing scenes in the same movie...

"We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I'll know we'll meet again
some sunny day...