Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Quite the contrary, mon frer. I'm noticing more depth in them. His visuals are so gorgeous that it can be satisfying just to sort of let them wash over you, and indulge in whatever mood he's offering. There's a great layer of meaning under all that though. So no, I love him.
I didn't make myself clear.

Though that kinda answered my question for me - no longer will I refer to the talented director as Willy Won-Kar...

...it was wearing a wee bit thin.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Tacitus
I didn't make myself clear.

Though that kinda answered my question for me - no longer will I refer to the talented director as Willy Won-Kar...

...it was wearing a wee bit thin.
oops... My Irony Sense was tingling, but I couldn't... quite.. locate.. source! If your Willy Won-Kar wears out, you can use my Wrong Car, Why.

oops... My Irony Sense was tingling, but I couldn't... quite.. locate.. source! If your Willy Won-Kar wears out, you can use my Wrong Car, Why.
As Hamlet, if he were in a silly mood, might say: Get thee to a Punnery!

A system of cells interlinked
Oh sweet! Another Wong film I must see. I have given up on In the Mood For Love, as Netflix will just never send it to me. It has been in my number one spot forever, and has never shipped, and still says long wait. Funny thing is, all my friends in the Boston area who have put it in their queue, have gotten it within a week. I was going to head out to a friends to watch it when it was at their place, but the plans fell through, and they sent it back. So, unless I buy this film, I probably won't see it. Anyhoo, I am adding Chungking Express right now....

_s

Starting to think netflix isn't all that.

great reviews btw, It seems I have retired from writing them, as I never have the urge to do it anymore. Glad we have you folks around.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Oh sweet! Another Wong film I must see. I have given up on In the Mood For Love, as Netflix will just never send it to me. It has been in my number one spot forever, and has never shipped, and still says long wait. Funny thing is, all my friends in the Boston area who have put it in their queue, have gotten it within a week. I was going to head out to a friends to watch it when it was at their place, but the plans fell through, and they sent it back. So, unless I buy this film, I probably won't see it. Anyhoo, I am adding Chungking Express right now....

_s

Starting to think netflix isn't all that.

great reviews btw, It seems I have retired from writing them, as I never have the urge to do it anymore. Glad we have you folks around.
Thanks, Meng!
I would say, if you've seen and liked any other WKW's, that you wouldn't be sorry to blind-buy ITMFL. I normally don't recommend blind buys, but that one is just... "sublime" is not too strong a word, truthfully. That's odd about your not being able to rent it, though.

I got a disc from Netflix last week that was broken when it arrived. That is only the second time in two years I've had any sort of problem with them, though, so I'm still loving the service. Compared to the tales of woe I hear of other mail services, it's the Mercedes of DVD rental. Have you had trouble getting other films?

As for the writing, thanks. I've had to sort of make myself write, at times, but I want to develop a habit. This though, this was fun to write about. Really loved this film.

history *is* moralizing
I normally don't recommend blind buys, but that one is just
Sammy, recommend him Gilmore Girls!

you're a fan too then?(sarcasm)... i find them to be a nice relaxing show, although their snappy conversations are a bit too orchestrated, noone talks like that in real life, and Rory's behaviour is a tad strange for someone who's in collegge ( she acts like she's 12 )

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by adidasss
no one talks like that in real life, and Rory's behaviour is a tad strange for someone who's in collegge ( she acts like she's 12 )
i do talk like that!
and not everyone is as amoral as you!

Taking care of planet Earth
Nice review. I've only seen one film by Wong Kar-Wai and that was "In the Mood for Love." I agree with everything you've said about that film already, it's exceptional and really beautifully filmed too. Maggie Cheung is one of the most beautiful women I've ever clapped eye on too I think.

I don't have anything like a NetFlix to order movies from but I might shop around and see if I can get "Chungking Express" for a good price tomorrow when I go shopping.

Originally Posted by Clark Nova
Nice review. I've only seen one film by Wong Kar-Wai and that was "In the Mood for Love." I agree with everything you've said about that film already, it's exceptional and really beautifully filmed too. Maggie Cheung is one of the most beautiful women I've ever clapped eye on too I think.

I don't have anything like a NetFlix to order movies from but I might shop around and see if I can get "Chungking Express" for a good price tomorrow when I go shopping.
Oh, eek! Inspiring blind buys makes me nervous, but I think that's a Can't Miss. It's really a fun one. I just bought it a month or so ago and have watched it 4 times already. Let me know what you think!

How do you affect the lives of those around you?
crash
Not just the people you know... everyone knows (sooner or later, usually) how they affect those they know.... but what about those you don't know? This was the question that haunted then television writer Paul Haggis for ten years before he finally started writing what became the screenplay of the film Crash. The short answer is: "for better and for worse". The long answer is well worth your time in viewing this beautiful film. Haggis and cowriter Robert Moresco interweave the stories of various and varied Los Angeles residents into a philosophical tapestry that is humorous, moving and profound, and suprisingly realistic.

Part of the realism comes from the fact that many of the stories either happened to one or the other of the writers, or came from people they knew. Another other part comes from a cast that is positively perfect. I won't mention names, because everyone deserves a mention for deeply committed and beautifully timed performances.

Shot on a shoestring, on spec, much of the talent working gratis, the photography is still warm and involving. The score is another gigantic plus - a combination of styles combines to deepen the emotion and the meaning of what we're seeing and the music is gorgeous. The film was shot on digital video, and there are scenes where, on a large screen, I missed film. On dvd though, you can't tell the difference.

Much of the dialogue is hilarious, and then you ask yourself if it's ok to laugh... which is part of the point. While both writers insist they didn't start out writing a script about race issues, this is unquestionably a film that will make you think along those lines. Actually, it will make you think along a lot of lines. This one's a keeper.

9/10

Thanks for the review Sammy. I just bought the DVD, I loved it so much I have watched it twice.

buff66
Buffalo '66 is a dog-eared, handmade valentine. Vincent Gallo wrote the story, then the screenplay and the music, then directed himself in the lead, with a supporting cast of strong players. What starts out as a quirky tale morphs into an emotionally powerful and suprisingly honest love story.

Gallo's story centers on Billy Brown, who just finished serving 5 years in the slam. That was a cakewalk compared to what comes next: Sunday afternoon at his parents' house. Rather than tell his parents he went to jail, Billy has claimed to be married and have an important job with the government. To support this claim, he kidnaps Layla (Christina Ricci, who is charmingly, awkwardly marvellous in this) and makes her pretend to be his wife. From this most unlikely of beginnings, love blooms.

The tale is told strictly from Billy's romanticized and none-too-shrewd point of view. We see him as a child - a sweet kid with monsters for parents. And we see him as an adult - a man reaching through a maelstrom of troubles for some sort of ownership of himself. It's one of the best character studies I've seen, and you can bet your socks I've been looking.

The relationship between Billy and Layla suffers slightly from this monocular point of view. Layla doesn't act like a real young woman would act and we know nothing of her except what falls within the parameters of her time with Billy. But as Billy's limited perception of a girl, the character works beautifully. While the film is mostly about Billy's journey and the choices he has to make, the relationship with Layla offers some thought-provoking questions, if you feel like waxing reflective. In fact, a lot of this film makes for a nice springboard for further thought - Gallo's tale is simple and powerful, leaving room for interpretation. It's also powerfully sweet.

8/10

Nice one Cinders.

This is on my rental list as we speak but, of course, they decide to send me something near the bottom...

I think we'll need to start acting on our idea.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Buffalo 66 is an old fav of mine. Say what you will about Gallo as a person (I actually am starting to think he's so nasty he's cool) but he's occasionally making interesting movies. I'm glad you liked it, Sammy! Now have you seen Tarnation yet?

And I love the song "Heart of the Sunrise" with Yes that is in Buffalo 66, btw.... Wicked drumbeat...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Tacitus ~ we'll be rich! RICH I say!!

Pidzilla ~ suprisingly, I haven't gotten to Tarnation yet. I don't know anything about Gallo as a person - sounds like that might be for the best?

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Tacitus
I think we'll need to start acting on our idea.
What's your idea?

Great review btw Sam. I hadn't heard of that film before.