Walk the Line

Tools    

Directed by James Mangold
Produced by Cathy Konrad and James Keach
Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Ginnifer Goodwin, Dallas Roberts, Larry Bagby, Shelby Lynn, Tyler Hilton, Waylon Malloy Payne, Shooter Jennings, Jonathan Rice

Synopsis:

In 1955, a tough, skinny guitar-slinger who called himself J.R. Cash walked into the soon-to-be-famous Sun Studios in Memphis. It was a moment that would have an indelible effect on American culture. With his driving freight-train chords, steel-eyed intensity and a voice as deep and black as night, Cash sang blistering songs of heartache and survival that were gutsy, full of real life and unlike anything heard before.

That day kicked off the electrifying early career of Johnny Cash (Joaquin Phoenix). As he pioneered a fiercely original sound that blazed a trail for rock, country, punk, folk and rap stars to come, Cash began a rough-and-tumble journey of personal transformation. In the most volatile period of his life, he evolved from a self-destructive pop star into the iconic “Man in Black” -– facing down his demons, fighting for the love that would raise him up, and learning how to walk the razor-thin line between destruction and redemption. As his music changed the world, Cash’s own world was rocked by the woman who became the love of his life: June Carter (Reese Witherspoon).
Anyone else looking forward to this as much as I am?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Anyone else looking forward to this as much as I am?
I am! I love Johnny Cash. Grew up listening to his music. I hope its a good movie!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I love Johnny Cash, and am pretty pysched about this. Phoenix looks like a pretty good choice. I'd probably be more impressed, though, if I weren't already spoiled on near-perfect biopic impersonations from the likes of Will Smith, Jim Carrey, and Jaime Foxx.

District B13
Ray got me into Ray Charles music.

I hope to God Walk the LIne doesn't get me into Cash music.

I would be one broke sucka.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Phoenix looks like a pretty good choice.
When I first heard Phoenix was going to play Cash, I was a little skeptical… but then I read Cash had personally picked him before he died… and when I saw the trailer, I could see why he did…

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think Phoenix sounds like a terrific choice. He's got the look and I think he's a good actor. But Reese as June???? Hmmmm....

Anyway... I am a big fan of Cash and listen to him on a regular basis. My favourite song with him at the moment is "Long Black Veil". His voice and the things he sing about makes me straighten my back. I've been into lots of artists and bands and so on but I'm not the guy who's got "idols" in that way. But I would really like to be like The Man in Black. He's über-cool.

It's not coming to Sweden until february 2006.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I think Phoenix sounds like a terrific choice. He's got the look and I think he's a good actor. But Reese as June???? Hmmmm....

Anyway... I am a big fan of Cash and listen to him on a regular basis. My favourite song with him at the moment is "Long Black Veil". His voice and the things he sing about makes me straighten my back. I've been into lots of artists and bands and so on but I'm not the guy who's got "idols" in that way. But I would really like to be like The Man in Black. He's über-cool.

It's not coming to Sweden until february 2006.

Rumor has it Reese was June's pick… and I think she can do it… there is a lot more to her then "Legally Blonde"…

I knew you were a big Cash fan so I'm sorry you have to wait until February to see this…

I am having a nervous breakdance
Rumor has it Reese was June's pick… and I think she can do it… there is a lot more to her then "Legally Blonde"…

I knew you were a big Cash fan so I'm sorry you have to wait until February to see this…
Yeah, I really did admire him. "Live at San Quentin" almost makes me cry... It's emotionally charged.

I love music when it's so simple but still so great...

I'm pretty psyched about it. I'm all about Pheonix and Johnny Cash so I'll definately be seeing this.
And found he was eating his shoe.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
[/center]
Yeah, once upon a time, before she went mainstream, she was a talented actress. People forget that because of how stupid her new films are. lol.

a picture and article on the late Johnny Cash

There's treachery afoot!!!
I am counting the days til this film comes out. Johnny Cash is the only man I can honestly say I love

Has anyone gotten a sneak peek at this yet... or had a chance to check out the soundtrack?
I'm going to a screening tonight, Cait.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sorry. Been trying to find time to write a full review. Maybe tonight.

It's a good movie, but far from a great one for me. Joaquin and Reese are both quite good, and all the music scenes are fantastic. But overall, the stuff in between the singing, I found to be pretty standard biopic stuff.

More later, but I'll grade it a solid "B".

I See You When You're Sleeping
It's not here until the 3rd of February next year. I'm relatively new with Cash, only been a fan for about a year. His music just sounds so damn important.

His music is great, and the music in the movie is presented very well. Even if you're a bit underwhelmed by the flick as I was, you'll definitely be humming Johnny Cash tunes for the rest of the day after you see it. In that regard, it's very successful. But I just didn't think it did much more than that, unfortunately.