Man Killed At 50 Cent Flick

Tools    

District B13
Originally Posted by Austruck
Well, here's something to ask then: If there was absolutely no connection with the fact that this movie was playing there and the likely patrons it would bring in, then why did this happen?
Well, just becuase he saw a movie was and was killed in the same place of establishment doesn't mean that was the cause(or attraction point of those who do not mind violence).

We do not know any motives for the case, but I'm sure there were some. Perhaps it was that he was in debt and the killers were there to collect a paycheck he didn't have.

Remember, this is the media saying, "Man killed at 50 cent movie" and not "Man Killed in theatre".

The circumstances are still uknown, so it could be anything.

You say likely patrons again. I take this for your meaning of people who do not mind violent movies and therefore could possibly be more succeptable to violence. This I disagree with.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Sure you agree with it.
I changed my mind after reading piddzilla's post, mainly becaues at first I had no idea what I was saying, but also because piddzilla's post made alot of sense to me. When I said I disagree I did it after the fact, I figured people could deduce that, but, I guess they can't, so, should I edit those former posts and say in middle english what a wonderful human being you are?
Are you the only person using that account?
No, I just appear to be a flip flopper so I can give you some just cause for speaking other than your patronization.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yes, your possible explanation (that he was in debt and the collectors came and shot him) is certainly within the realm of plausibility.

And all I've been saying all along is that ... so is mine.

I've said all I can say on this to explain my position, and you've said you disagree but haven't really defended that with anything. And since I don't find your explanation any more likely than mine, I'll stick with mine and attend the Waterfront theater again. I don't think this incident was due to the overall dangerousness of the area of town.

I'll stick with mine and attend the Waterfront theater again. I don't think this incident was due to the overall dangerousness of the area of town.
Good for you

I am having a nervous breakdance
In answer to the red question: to make money.
Well, it was a rethorical question. Which I answered myself just after:

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
The truth is that the financial potential this film actually has overshadowed all other risks and questionmarks. It is fact that the biggest group of buyers of hip hop CDs is not "black kids in the hood" but white, middle class surburban teenage boys. The risk of missing out on the golden opportunity, that a 50 Cent movie is, wheighs a lot heavier than the risk of someone getting shot in the theater.
And to assume in advance that someone would get shot would be racist. It's a bit of a paradox.
Great post though, I see your point. It's a situation with no easy answer.
Well, apparently they were calculating with some kind of increased risk factor before it was released. And my point is just that, that pulling the film is - I wouldn't say racist - but prejudiced. The Passion of the Christ was mentioned before (a very violent film, btw). Let's just say that an atheist had been killed by a devoted catholic or vice versa in connection to a screening of the film. I don't know what measures would have been taken, if the film would have been pulled or not. But I do think that the focus of the debate would be less on the film and more on the actual killing and those involved - even if the film of course would have been mentioned by the press.

Thanks for the compliment, btw.

To say my theory isn't even a possibility doesn't seem very open-minded. It's not that far-fetched.
Well, I do understand why you feel the way you do and I respect your opinion. I don't think it's crazy or anything. But I simply do not agree with you. That's all.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Piddy, perhaps you don't recall all the hoopla surrounding THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST before it came out. Many media folks were going on and on (and on!) about whether there was going to be violence against Jews because the film portrays Jews involved in the crucifixion.

This was a HUGE buildup LONG before the film was released ... and it was obviously a big hype by the media in order to bash Gibson and Christians in general. In fact, it was very much like the buildup before 50 Cent's movie ... except that Gibson's appearances and work had no history of inciting violence (unlike several 50 Cent concerts in recent years). The media bias was mostly just against anyone calling themselves Christian.

And, it turned out to be way off base. There was no Christian-on-Jew violence when the movie was released.

I *did* see TPOTC, even though I truly dislike seeing violence in movies (I'm just squeamish!), because it is part of my beliefs and I felt it was important to expose myself to a more realistic portrayal of what Jesus suffered. The film in no way glorified the violence. Just the opposite, in fact. You were supposed to be horrified by it -- that it happened to an otherwise innocent historical figure, etc. You were supposed to sit there wondering if you should just get up and walk out.

Anyway, I brought it up initially just to mention that my DVD club chose not to carry it. Your post makes me remember, though, that there were a lot of pre-release media-hype similarities to this movie.

And FWIW, if there *had* been Christian-on-Jew violence at a theater where/when the movie was playing, I would definitely have assumed it had something to do with seeing the movie. (That movie stirs emotions, both good and bad, and I realize there are unstable people out there claiming to be Christians.)

And, I know the media would have made that connection too. They would have had a field day with it. Because Christians are stereotyped as much as any other group out there.

And, I'm wagering, you would have assumed a connection too. And that time, I would have agreed with you.

Piddy, perhaps you don't recall all the hoopla surrounding THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST before it came out. Many media folks were going on and on (and on!) about whether there was going to be violence against Jews because the film portrays Jews involved in the crucifixion.
Oh, I do remember the hoopla very well. I do remember the debate about whether it was anti-Semite or not which, at least here, died pretty quick. I do not, however, remember the debate regarding whether there was going to be violence against Jews. Then again, I didn't know there was a similar debate about 50's film either. Not until this happened. Remember that I live in Sweden so all the news coverage you get don't always reach me.

This was a HUGE buildup LONG before the film was released ... and it was obviously a big hype by the media in order to bash Gibson and Christians in general. In fact, it was very much like the buildup before 50 Cent's movie ... except that Gibson's appearances and work had no history of inciting violence (unlike several 50 Cent concerts in recent years). The media bias was mostly just against anyone calling themselves Christian.
Jim Sheridan, the director of Get Rich or Die Tryin', does not have a history of inciting violence either.

And, it turned out to be way off base. There was no Christian-on-Jew violence when the movie was released.
What is the equivalence to Christian-on-Jew violence in Get Rich or Die Tryin'? And are you sure there has been any violence of that kind? Or is the equivalence to C-on-J violence in GRoDT simply "violence"?

I *did* see TPOTC, even though I truly dislike seeing violence in movies (I'm just squeamish!), because it is part of my beliefs and I felt it was important to expose myself to a more realistic portrayal of what Jesus suffered. The film in no way glorified the violence. Just the opposite, in fact. You were supposed to be horrified by it -- that it happened to an otherwise innocent historical figure, etc. You were supposed to sit there wondering if you should just get up and walk out.
TPotC isn't gloryfying violence - it's wallowing in it.

If you chooses to see a movie to get a realistic feel of what it was like for Jesus when he was tortured and killed, that's totally your business. Personally, I think that film was exploiting violence to the maximum and it's always amazing to see people who usually oppose violent films defend the violence in Gibson's piece.

But this is neither about TPotC nor about wether or not GRoDT is violent or encouraging violence. What we have been discussing, or at least what I thought we'd been discussing, was if the mere fact that a 50 Cent movie is on the movie repertoire attracted violent element to the theater and was actually the reason to the violence that led to one man's death. I think we can at least agree on that no one was probably going in to the screening of the film with a innocent mind, only to come out wanting to kill someone/anyone.

Anyway, I brought it up initially just to mention that my DVD club chose not to carry it. Your post makes me remember, though, that there were a lot of pre-release media-hype similarities to this movie.
Why doesn't your DVD club choose to carry it? Do you know the reason or do you just have a theory? (Asked totally without sarcasm, I might need to add).

And FWIW, if there *had* been Christian-on-Jew violence at a theater where/when the movie was playing, I would definitely have assumed it had something to do with seeing the movie. (That movie stirs emotions, both good and bad, and I realize there are unstable people out there claiming to be Christians.)

And, I know the media would have made that connection too. They would have had a field day with it. Because Christians are stereotyped as much as any other group out there.

And, I'm wagering, you would have assumed a connection too. And that time, I would have agreed with you.
I would never in my life have argued for pulling The Passion of the Christ of the repertoire even if Jews and Christians had been crucified upside down by the dozen right inside the theater where the movie had been shown.

Now, I still haven't seen the 50 Cent film so I can't say too much about it. But if we were to compare the two films to each other, my guess is that TPotC is probably more agitating than GRoDT considering the tension that might exist between hardcore Christians towards Jews, or that is said to exist. In GRoDT there really only is 50 Cent. Now, if Ja Rule had been in it as well....... Anyway, point is that that's just another example of that the problem lies within the perpetrators, not within the movie. If you can't handle the emotional impact that a movie might bring with it, then you probably allready are a case for one or two institutions. And I don't believe that the movie itself triggered the violence anyway, but, I think you've said earlier that you don't think so either.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
This point has been made repeatedly in this thread, and yet not a soul has asserted that the violence was the fault of 50 Cent, nor that it was inspired by the film.

This plays into it, as well as Piddy's point that generalizations and stereotyping magnify the fears in play. The magnification doesn't negate the valid source of the fear of getting shot at a 50 Cent event, however. The proof of that is easy: people keep getting shot at 50 Cent stuff.

Also, you really can't pin 50 Cent's rep on the media. Here is a sample of his lyrics from the Get Rich Or Die Tryin' disc:
If there's beef, cock it and dump it, the drama really means nothin
To me I'll ride by and blow ya brains out (brains out)
There's no time to cock it, no way you can stop it
When niggas run up on you wit them thangs out (thangs out)
I do what I gotta do I don't care I if get caught
The DA can play this mother****in tape in court
I'll kill you - I ain't playin, hear what I'm sayin, homie I ain't playin
Catch you slippin, I'ma kill you - I ain't playin, hear what I'm sayin,
homie I ain't playin
People take rap lyrics a little too seriously

People watch Scarface and know Al Pacino is acting, what's the difference when 50 Cent raps about it?
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Pidds, I think you and I are closer on this than we realize. I've never said the movie caused the shooting, and I don't even think the movie should be banned. But I do think that the owners of the theater in THIS case were wise to TEMPORARILY pull the movie till they figured out what happened and why. And, they own the theater so I certainly support their right to handle the influx of movies any way they want.

As for the DVD club, I emailed them and asked about TPOTC. They didn't specifically give me a reason beyond, "We've chosen not to offer this particular movie to our customers." Meanwhile, it was selling like gangbusters when it came out, so I was surprised that they were so set against carrying it that they'd risk losing all that money. I had otherwise fulfilled my obligation to them so I've since quit the club and buy elsewhere now. No biggie. They have the right to sell or not sell what they want. And I have the right to go elsewhere.

FWIW, I don't think there is very much tension between Christians and Jews, which is something the media didn't really "get" in their fear over the possible violence. (And yes, over here at least they *were* concerned that Christians might persecute and hurt Jews!)

I suppose I can't explain to you why it was important to me to see that violence but not want to see other violence. 50 Cent's movie is semi-autobiographical and yet I didn't want to see *his* life story. Jesus, however, I regard as my savior, so I wanted to subject myself to something that gave me a small glimpse of what I take for granted: that He suffered so much on my behalf.

I don't expect you to understand that part of this discussion, and that's fine.

I keep forgetting you're in Sweden. Yeah, I expect things would be different there in some respects.

Anyway, as long as we're clear that neither of us is saying that the 50 Cent movie CAUSED any violence, I think we're fine. Most of my thinking is based solely on THIS incident which, for me, is LOCAL and concerns me in personal ways.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
...I would never in my life have argued for pulling The Passion of the Christ of the repertoire even if Jews and Christians had been crucified upside down by the dozen right inside the theater where the movie had been shown.
That's where we differ.
Theater floors are sticky enough without someone's blood and guts all over the floor.

Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused
People watch Scarface and know Al Pacino is acting, what's the difference when 50 Cent raps about it?
I guess it's clearer that someone is acting when their job title is "actor" than if it's "singer". I see your point, there are spoof songs. It's possible 50 Cent is having a spoof career. I doubt that Weird Al Yankovich was seriously promoting overeating with the chart-topping "Eat It", but as a spoof, he made it obvious in many ways that 50 Cent isn't employing.

First of all: ok, Austruck. Let's call it a day... I don't have no beef with you.

That's where we differ.
Theater floors are sticky enough without someone's blood and guts all over the floor.
Aha!! But was Deep Throat ever pulled because of sticky floors??

Over the line?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Aha!! But was Deep Throat ever pulled because of sticky floors??

Over the line?
Nothing stickier than politics. [/obtuse]

Austruck... heh! Isn't it great that, thanks to Splenda, diet soda is just as sticky as regular, now?

Hey, I LIVE on Splenda Diet Coke around here. (NutraSweet gives me headaches.) I can vouch for what you'se saying, babe.

P.S. Love the new avvie.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
People take rap lyrics a little too seriously

ummm, hes not acting. What are we supposed to think of his lyrics? that its all fun and games? its just harmless music? Sure he has an image to live up to, but how can someone pretend that his lyrics dont send a message of gangsterism? whether you choose to "take it seriously" or not, its there. Are we just supposed to pass it off as entertainment mumbo jumbo? I doubt "50" would want you to think that.

And on the topic, I dont think its too unreal to say that there might be a correlation between the theater violence and the 50 cent movie playing late. Im sure the media puts its spin on things, and this may have well been the effect of something non-related to the 50 cent movie. But, it'd be unrealistic IMO to assume that there wouldnt at least be a percentage (not necessarily a majority) of young people (white, black, whatever) with a certain thug-attitude going into this movie. And not to forget, it was a late viewing... I mean really, would you be suprised to see couples go see a more dramatic-tear dropper-type movie? or kids going to see chicken little? or a football-player type going to see an action flick?... Its not unwise to assume certain people see certain movies. sure its stereotypical, but stereotypes arents necessarily negative and misleading. Alot of stereotypes are based off of truth.

Originally Posted by SCdac
And on the topic, I dont think its too unreal to say that there might be a correlation between the theater violence and the 50 cent movie playing late. Im sure the media puts its spin on things, and this may have well been the effect of something non-related to the 50 cent movie. But, it'd be unrealistic IMO to assume that there wouldnt at least be a percentage (not necessarily a majority) of young people (white, black, whatever) with a certain thug-attitude going into this movie. And not to forget, it was a late viewing... I mean really, would you be suprised to see couples go see a more dramatic-tear dropper-type movie? or kids going to see chicken little? or a football-player type going to see an action flick?... Its not unwise to assume certain people see certain movies. sure its stereotypical, but stereotypes arents necessarily negative and misleading. Alot of stereotypes are based off of truth.
I think you're wrong and also missing the point, that at least I was trying to make, which wasn't that the film does or does not attract thugs. I am sure it does. But instead of repeating myself I will just refer to my earlier posts if you're interested in what I think about all of this.

Just to chime in here - I actually bought 50 Cent's last album, The Massacre, because I loved, loved, loved, loved, loved the song "Disco Inferno" and "Candy Shop" isn't that bad either. But the rest of the CD - which I've only played like once or twice, mind you - sucked and was full of cussing, using the N word, and was all violence and corruption. Now I love violent films, but my musical taste is either innocent, danceable, or sexual. Monkees, Gwen Stefani, Madonna (whose new album, Confessions On A Dance Floor, SUCKS), Junior Senior, etc. etc.

I don't know really anything about this Get Rich Or Die Trying movie. What is the plot? And why did the guy in the bathroom die? Was he trying to get rich?

District B13
Hey, I LIVE on Splenda Diet Coke around here. (NutraSweet gives me headaches.) I can vouch for what you'se saying, babe.
Why are you stealing my diet formula?

I said aspartame was bad before everyone else did, I deserve credit!

Anyways, I guess I'm going to say "sorry" to the guy who got shot and offer "prayers".

Seems rather inappropriate that debate rages on in front of this dead man, if we were in Czarist Russia we would be be-headed.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
Just to chime in here - I actually bought 50 Cent's last album, The Massacre, because I loved, loved, loved, loved, loved the song "Disco Inferno" and "Candy Shop" isn't that bad either. But the rest of the CD - which I've only played like once or twice, mind you - sucked and was full of cussing, using the N word, and was all violence and corruption. Now I love violent films, but my musical taste is either innocent, danceable, or sexual. Monkees, Gwen Stefani, Madonna (whose new album, Confessions On A Dance Floor, SUCKS), Junior Senior, etc. etc.

I don't know really anything about this Get Rich Or Die Trying movie. What is the plot? And why did the guy in the bathroom die? Was he trying to get rich?
Either that or fresh...

I too enjoy one or two 50 Cent songs, more because of the production than because of his rap. But fans of the genre claims that it's his "realness" that makes him great. But since I don't care much for genres.........

Christ, now I know where your av is from!

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by SCdac
ummm, hes not acting. What are we supposed to think of his lyrics? that its all fun and games? its just harmless music? Sure he has an image to live up to, but how can someone pretend that his lyrics dont send a message of gangsterism? whether you choose to "take it seriously" or not, its there. Are we just supposed to pass it off as entertainment mumbo jumbo? I doubt "50" would want you to think that.
If he wasn't acting he would be in prison for selling drugs, murdering people etc.

I fail to see your point, it's entertainment mumbo jumbo when Al Pacino does it on film but when 50 does the same thing in a rap it's real?