What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by adidasss
me= innocent, poor little croatian boy
Someone else with a persecution complex whenever someone doesn't agree with him? Grow up.

froggy has been away far too long, i guess you have to fill your monthly bitch-fight quota on someone.....not me sister.....pick someone else.....i come here to relax....
That must be the most idiotic post I've seen in a while. Go to the Argument Relocation thread if you want to start getting sexist.

Arresting your development
Where is the frog?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
sure honey, what ever makes you feel better about yourself....
I got your PM, fucktard, and if you think you can verbally abuse me in private, you need to think again. I've now blocked you from PMing me at all.

I was nothing but pleasant to you when you announced you hate Slovenians, after I'd just said one of my best friends is one.

I was nothing but pleasant to you when you tried to pick a fight in the religion part of the arguement thread. "Send a photo" I said.

And what did it get me with you? Did you behave with any respect at all? No. You pull this crap here and then resort to PMs to be an even bigger turd.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Sammy, could you not have posted that in an other thread. I can't even find a reference to DVDs in your post.
Oh, I'm going to turn it into a film script about a little Croatian boy who throws stones and then yells "witch". I'd wait til it hits late-night tv though.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
What is Memories of Murder about?
I'm not famliar with the actual events so I can't say how true it is, but it is 'based' on the investigation behind Korea's most notorious serial killer. What makes it fantastic is that it is a surprisingly fresh take on the tried serial killer/police hunt storyline. Gone are what you would expect to see in a story like this (gritty crime scene investigations, tracking closely on the 'scent' of the killer, exploitive murder scenes, psychological probing of the killer/victims) with those elements being replaced by calm pacing, absolutely gorgeous cinematography (the Korean landscape never ceases to amaze me), inept police work and even humor.

The best way to describe it is just to say it isn't your normal serial killer flick, it is a good deal tighter than that. I highly recommend it and I know I'm not the only one round these parts who really digs it.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by TygerTyger

The Long Goodbye and Kiss Me Deadly.
I guess I was in a not-quite detective thriller mood.
Not quite detective? These films are absolutely, completely, detective films. Both leads are private eyes by trade, and go about detecting and solving a mystery. In fact, Kiss me deadly is considered one of the definitive detective noirs of the original noir cycle, and is used as an example of hard boiled detective noir in many texts, including stuff like The Film Noir Reader and Christopher's Somewhere in the Night. Why would they be considered not-quite detective? The long Goodbye was Altman's stab at detective-noir, and a damn good one. it is, and always has been, a detective film.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
What is Memories of Murder about?
It doesn't matter, because it is so good, you must just watch it! I loved Memories of Murder.... Great Korean police picture, serial killer stuff, but not what you would expect from a serial killer pic...

Originally Posted by OG-
I'm not famliar with the actual events so I can't say how true it is, but it is 'based' on the investigation behind Korea's most notorious serial killer. What makes it fantastic is that it is a surprisingly fresh take on the tried serial killer/police hunt storyline. Gone are what you would expect to see in a story like this (gritty crime scene investigations, tracking closely on the 'scent' of the killer, exploitive murder scenes, psychological probing of the killer/victims) with those elements being replaced by calm pacing, absolutely gorgeous cinematography (the Korean landscape never ceases to amaze me), inept police work and even humor.

The best way to describe it is just to say it isn't your normal serial killer flick, it is a good deal tighter than that. I highly recommend it and I know I'm not the only one round these parts who really digs it.
Originally Posted by Sedai
It doesn't matter, because it is so good, you must just watch it! I loved Memories of Murder.... Great Korean police picture, serial killer stuff, but not what you would expect from a serial killer pic...
Cool guys. Thanks for the recommend, I'll give it a look.

Put me in your pocket...
i see that someone is not reading the review threads.....
Hmmm...given the cimate around here lately, this could be interpreted a few ways....

Not everyone has the time to check out all the review threads. I haven't read one in ages due to my limited time. You could be a gentleman and suggest a thread where it was reviewed.

I just got

Two Disc Special Edition or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
and
The Devils Rejects Unrated Two Disc

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Originally Posted by Sedai
Not quite detective? These films are absolutely, completely, detective films. Both leads are private eyes by trade, and go about detecting and solving a mystery. In fact, Kiss me deadly is considered one of the definitive detective noirs of the original noir cycle, and is used as an example of hard boiled detective noir in many texts, including stuff like The Film Noir Reader and Christopher's Somewhere in the Night. Why would they be considered not-quite detective? The long Goodbye was Altman's stab at detective-noir, and a damn good one. it is, and always has been, a detective film.
Well, I'm not the author of The Film Noir Reader, and perhaps because of that I'd consider neither to be quite a Hardboiled Suspense Thriller.
Kiss Me Deadly (1955) has a decidedly Sci-fi bent, and besides explodes the conventions of Classical era (I'd say 1930 to, surprise, 55) Detective Thrillers much like Touch of Evil may have done for Noir. The whole film is about how the mythology of the hardboiled he-man is now obsolete, and how fists and grit just aren't enough to solve problems anymore.

The Long Goodbye (1973) similarly dodges the conventions of the Detective Thriller genre (I'd say it's more comedy, but that's me). I mean, Elliot Gould's (A hardboiled ELLIOT GOULD!?) unsuave, unsexual Phillip Marlowe is nothing like the Bogie of yesteryear. His most commonly occuring line is after all "It's okay with me," something any previous Marlowe incarnations probably would have had gay sex onscreen before uttering. We watch him buy catfood for Christ's sake!

Really they're very similar movies in this regard. One ushers in the Post-classical era of the genre, and the other probably jumps the gun on the Postmodern era. I actually wrote a paper on just that.

Anyway, it should also be kept in mind that I never said that either movie was not a detective thriller, just not quite. I meant specifically in the Classical sense of the genre; but it was just an offhand comment.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Hmmm...given the cimate around here lately, this could be interpreted a few ways....

Not everyone has the time to check out all the review threads. I haven't read one in ages due to my limited time. You could be a gentleman and suggest a thread where it was reviewed.
to be frank i thought she was purposfully trying to provoke me, og did a review on the film and so did i but if i had mentioned it i'm sure i would have gotten flamed....

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by adidas
to be frank i thought she was purposfully trying to provoke me, og did a review on the film and so did i but if i had mentioned it i'm sure i would have gotten flamed....
Cindy was being friendly, that's all. To be frank....you sounded as if you were trying to provoke her. How is anyone to know you've reviewed it if we haven't read your review thread. You could have said in a nice way that you had and what page it was on.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Cindy was being friendly, that's all. To be frank....you sounded as if you were trying to provoke her. How is anyone to know you've reviewed it if we haven't read your review thread. You could have said in a nice way that you had and what page it was on.
em, fair enough, but i felt that if i mentioned that i made a review on it ( at that perticular time, after all that stuff in the argument thread ) she would have given me some nasty reply ....so in a way...i was trying to avoid that...
and what's the point of making reviews if only 2 people read them?