Movie Tab II

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan [Part II] (2005 - Martin Scorsese)

A bit of a disappointment really, this the second part. First of all, four hours?? More like 3 hours and 20 mins. And even though Bob Dylan, the phenomenon, the folk hero, the icon, is a very interesting story personally I would've appreciated more focusing on Bob Dylan, the musician. I totally missed the fact that the documentary "ended" in 1966 but I still would have liked to hear more about his collaboration with The Band and stuff. It's like Scorsese was more interested in Dylan's reactions to the world's reactions to Dylan, which is very interesting, but still... Compared to Scorsese's The Last Waltz I would rate this as average. The first part was top class but after this second part I was left with a feeling of Scorsese not having finished his work here. It felt like he was working rather as an editor than a director this time.

But, hey, I'll probably see it again soon and enjoy it a lot for what it is.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Chariots of Fire (Hudson, 1981)

My father was a track star and even went as far as to the olympic trials, so it was a pleasure to watch this with him. It did get annoying after a while though, because he liked to regale me with how track has evolved, and then of course he and my brothers had a whole conversation about Liddell's "windmill style". I still liked the movie a lot though. I had more thoughts when I watched it last night, but they've all sort of left me.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan [Part II] (2005 - Martin Scorsese)

I totally missed the fact that the documentary "ended" in 1966
Same here. Lack of me paying attention to any trailers and this episode's shorter length left me feeling slightly cheated.

But it was more of a case of the documentary being so good that I wanted it to carry on for another few hours than any fault with the film itself.

A system of cells interlinked
Batman Begins (Nolan, 2005)

Arresting your development

A Nightmare On Elm Street
Wes Craven (1984)

Land Of The Dead
George A. Romero (2005)

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Same here. Lack of me paying attention to any trailers and this episode's shorter length left me feeling slightly cheated.

But it was more of a case of the documentary being so good that I wanted it to carry on for another few hours than any fault with the film itself.
Yeah, well if it had carried on for another few hours and covered the rest of the 60's and the 70's as well I would have been more than satisfied. I just felt like the first part covered the early years in a very good way but the second part felt more like Scorsese wrapping it up. But, sure, 3 hours and 20 mins very well spent in front of the TV set, no question about that.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Ghost in the Shell - I'll add it to the list of 'movies ripped off by The Matrix'. Nice scenery, lame story.

My Own Private Idaho - good but not great. Disappointing ending.

Sin City (2005 - Frank Miller & Robert Rodriguez)

Very entertaining and actually quite thought provoking. I found the primitive, almost neanderthal-like, depiction of society very interesting. It would be fun to hear what bell hooks has to say about this.

Copland

One of the most under-rated movies of the 90's in my opinion. Great story with plenty of twists and turns and back stabbing and all that other good stuff. Brilliant ensemble cast consisting of some of the best actors of our time including Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, and Harvey Keitel. Believe it or not I actually thought Sylvester Stallone did a pretty damn good job playing the lead role, a sheriff in charge of watching over a town that was home to hundreds of NYPD officers. The directer(James Mangold) also did a great job considering I had never heard of him before this movie. If you haven't seen Copland get off your ass and go watch it!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The American Nightmare
Assault on Precinct 13 (original)
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
Aliens of the Deep
Brazil
Masters of Horror: Incident on and off a Mountain Road
Control Room
Real Fiction
Marathon
Doom
One Missed Call
Flightplan
Ginger Snaps
Saving Private Ryan

Two episodes of "Buffy" (season 2)
Christine
Cannibal Holocaust

I was trying to break 20 movies in 4 days, but I failed. Plus I got bored of watching just horror.

It was exactly as expected; dumb fun. It isn't the all out romp the things I had read online would have it out to be, but for the most part it is just a glorified early 90s macho flick. I was actually enjoying it quite a bit until the FPS sequence, which I thought just came off as incredibly awkward.

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
im curiours, what episodes of buffy were they?
Surprise and Innocence.

I've been progressively watching Buffy at a friends house, though at a relatively slow rate (only two or so episodes a week).

Do you know my poetry?
Melinda and Melinda, B
2005 - Woody Allen

Wonder Boys, A
2000 - Curtis Hanson

A Woman Without Love, C+
1952 - Luis Buñuel