Lets Talk Football

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Tacitus
That reminds me of a radio phone show about Scottish football:

"Anti Niemi should play in goal for Scotland!"

"But he's Finnish."

"He's no finished, he's only 28!"
Heheheheh. Football phone-ins are comedy gold . (What were they thinking tho? That coz he looks like an extra from Braveheart he must be Scottish?)

EDIT: And that would've made him Irish anyway

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think he played in Scotland (Rangers or Hearts?) prior to Southampton.

Anthony Niemi maybe? Say it with a Scots accent

I think he played in Scotland (Rangers or Hearts?) prior to Southampton.

Anthony Niemi maybe? Say it with a Scots accent
Heheheh. It's terrible tho isn't it - all these years the honest Scots accent has eaten millions of word-endings, thus saving precious air for the rest of us... and that wind-bag Chirac has a bitch just coz someone made him eat a haggis

Originally Posted by Golgot
that wind-bag Chirac has a bitch just coz someone made him eat a haggis
Don't blame him

Originally Posted by nebbit
Don't blame him
Blame him for being a wind bag? Oh ok, to be fair, maybe the haggis gave him wind

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Originally Posted by Golgot
Blame him for being a wind bag? Oh ok, to be fair, maybe the haggis gave him wind

To be fair, Chirac's full of hot air anyway!!!!
I am zo zorrie zat ze never won ze Olympic bid!!!!
Arrogant French tosser!
Chirac.....bad
Haggis.....good.

On a football note, although I'm protestant and live in Glasgow, I follow Celtic. It's all about football to me, religion and polotics have no part in the game!!!
Big Man U. fan as well, so I'm not going to be too popular on this forum, but hey I love footie!!!

As for American football........

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
...although I'm protestant and live in Glasgow, I follow Celtic.
Heretic!

Big Man U. fan as well...
Heretic!

It's all about football to me, religion and polotics have no part in the game!!!
Good man

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins

Does anyone else remember the good old days?
Yup, sadly Walker's millions have gone.

I go back a bit further...

Yup, sadly Walker's millions have gone.

I go back a bit further...

Nice fro O'Neill's got!!!
He was living 2 doors up from my mum in Glasgow, met him a few times, shame the fro was gone.

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
Does anyone else remember the good old days?
I see you've just signed Craig Bellamy, which might be a masterstroke.

Or might not...

Not being one to gloat, but I'm going to gloat....

This is the most tense I've been at a football match in years. The difference between 11 guys playing as a team and 11 poncing show-ponies was never more apparent...

Taking care of planet Earth
I know, I could hardly believe it myself. What was Eriksson doing last night? Putting out a non-match fit Owen and taking Joe Cole out of the starting line up. When Cole came on in the second half he was the most creative player on the pitch for England.

Congrats to you though, Northern Ireland played the game like they wanted to win it whereas England didn't. You deserved the win

I am having a nervous breakdance
He he he heee.... I wonder how popular swedes are in England today. But I think Svennis will take care of the show-ponies in the end. He the man!

Meanwhile....

How about Zlatan Ibrahimovic? For as long as I can remember Sweden has never had a striker of absolute international top class who's boasted about being god's gift to swedish football - and actually being able to back it up in practice. Yesterday's amazing and game winning art number against Hungary on injury time did not only bring Sweden a huge step closer to the World Cup 2006 - it was also one of the most beautiful goals I've seen the swedish team do in a long time.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla

How about Zlatan Ibrahimovic? For as long as I can remember Sweden has never had a striker of absolute international top class who's boasted about being god's gift to swedish football - and actually being able to back it up in practice. Yesterday's amazing and game winning art number against Hungary on injury time did not only bring Sweden a huge step closer to the World Cup 2006 - it was also one of the most beautiful goals I've seen the swedish team do in a long time.

Ibrahimovic seems a darned good player, Chelski's dirty Russian money couldn't persuade Juventus to part with him in the summer.

I'm still basking in the glory (and feeling the hangover) of last night though. I've got Gerry Armstrong's autograph from Spain '82 when we beat the host nation and that day (along with us beating West Germany in '83) was the proudest in our footballing history. Last night may well top it in years to come though.

Ibrahimovic seems a darned good player, Chelski's dirty Russian money couldn't persuade Juventus to part with him in the summer.

I'm still basking in the glory (and feeling the hangover) of last night though. I've got Gerry Armstrong's autograph from Spain '82 when we beat the host nation and that day (along with us beating West Germany in '83) was the proudest in our footballing history. Last night may well top it in years to come though.
Yeah, Zlatan is king.... We love him over here, and it's great that Juventus believes in him.

We had a great team in USA '94 but I'm starting to believe this one is better. Isaksson, the goalie, is looking better and better for every game and we got a solid midfield and a couple of great strikers. Only thing I'm a little worried about is the defence but at least that is going in the right direction too.

I'm sorry but I don't know too much about the Northern Ireland team but I can imagine that they, like teams like Ireland and Sweden, are more of a team than 11 individualist primadonnas. And it's always fun when the Scots, Northern Irishmen and Walesmen beat the English. But I like England too... I really do.

Now, Spain '82? Surely you mean Italy '82...

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Yeah, Zlatan is king.... We love him over here, and it's great that Juventus believes in him.

We had a great team in USA '94 but I'm starting to believe this one is better. Isaksson, the goalie, is looking better and better for every game and we got a solid midfield and a couple of great strikers. Only thing I'm a little worried about is the defence but at least that is going in the right direction too.

I'm sorry but I don't know too much about the Northern Ireland team but I can imagine that they, like teams like Ireland and Sweden, are more of a team than 11 individualist primadonnas. And it's always fun when the Scots, Northern Irishmen and Walesmen beat the English. But I like England too... I really do.

Now, Spain '82? Surely you mean Italy '82...

What about Henrik Larsson? I might be a wee bit biased, but after watching him almost every second week for seven years, in my opinion he is not only a world class striker, but a great team player who sets up as many goals as he scores. Ljundberg was fantastic 2 years ago, but has gone a bit of the boil.
As for last night, what can I say, a perfect night for every Scotsman, not only do we win against Norway away, but our friends over the water beat England!!!
As Lou Reed would say " Such a perfect day...."

What about Henrik Larsson? I might be a wee bit biased, but after watching him almost every second week for seven years, in my opinion he is not only a world class striker, but a great team player who sets up as many goals as he scores. Ljundberg was fantastic 2 years ago, but has gone a bit of the boil.
As for last night, what can I say, a perfect night for every Scotsman, not only do we win against Norway away, but our friends over the water beat England!!!
As Lou Reed would say " Such a perfect day...."
Oh, Larsson is a legend, sure. His years as a pro, not least with Celtic, and his nation team record proves this. He has had some injury problems during the past six months and isn't yet 100% of his capacity. He is also getting older, we can't deny that. But, I mean, to be contracted by FC Barcelona when everybody is talking about his career being over, and actually doing quite a good job as a dangerous substitute, is nothing but impressive. And when he gets the chance - he always takes it. Then he loves playing with Ibrahimovic and Ibrahimovic loves playing with Larsson.... so, let them play together.

About Ljungberg, I'm not sure if I agree with you that he's left his best times behind. In the qualification rounds he has so far scored 7 goals in 8 games and is always very important for the swedish team. Many consider him to be the key player and perhaps they're right. He scored a magnificent goal on Bulgaria last saturday and he's always working hard, winning the ball and going forward on the midfield and in the penalty area... I think if he will be free from injuries he will do a great season in Arsenal too.