American Psycho Disscusion

→ in
Tools    

I now the movie is 5 years old but if you didn't see the movie I just wanna say there will probobly be spoilers here.
I just finished watching this for the first time and i wanted to now your guys view on the movie. Keep in mind I never read the book befor. I think none of the murders were real. If you think about it when Bateman kills Paul Allen he is dragging the body through the building with Blood trailing and nobody says a thing. And during the chainsaw scene I doubt nobody would come out when someone is screaming and banging on every door in the building, then he lines up the chainsaw perfect to hit her, I doubt it. There are tons of things like this in the movie so i don't understand how people believe that the murders were real.

And I know there was a Thread on this movie already but it was 5 years old and i didn't feel like reading through 2 pages of posts from people i don't even know

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Freaky. I just rewatched this movie last night! Or maybe I didn't, and I'm just imagining it...

I thought they were real the first time, and the point was that he gets away with it because he's such a zero that his girlfriend barely knows his name. Last night was the first time I noticed the trail of blood and a few other things, and started wondering if he really does kill anyone, or if he's like the evil twin of Ally McBeal, imaginging things but he thinks they really happened. I think we're supposed to wonder that. It sort of adds a layer, and makes the comment that in a society where assimilation is so complete and we rely on the superficial so heavily... do we lose track of reality?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Freaky. I just rewatched this movie last night! Or maybe I didn't, and I'm just imagining it...

I thought they were real the first time, and the point was that he gets away with it because he's such a zero that his girlfriend barely knows his name. Last night was the first time I noticed the trail of blood and a few other things, and started wondering if he really does kill anyone, or if he's like the evil twin of Ally McBeal, imaginging things but he thinks they really happened. I think we're supposed to wonder that. It sort of adds a layer, and makes the comment that in a society where assimilation is so complete and we rely on the superficial so heavily... do we lose track of reality?
I think it's definitely about losing track of reality. Maybe Bateman's psychosis is not so much about him being a serial killer as it is about him being delusional and out of touch with reality. At least there is that level of ambiguity in the story. Good point, though.

I also noticed this that right befor the shooting spree he goes to the ATM and it says something along the lines of Feed me a live kitten. Now I see that as a clue that this is shooting spree is all in his head, but it can be seen also as just his mind escaping him for that brief moment.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
There are tons of things like this in the movie so i don't understand how people believe that the murders were real.

Listen to the commentary, they say the murders were real....on the killer edition.

Suspect's Reviews

much better book than movie (i know, whats new?)... if you havent read it and like the movie, i highly recommend it.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
There are tons of things like this in the movie so i don't understand how people believe that the murders were real.

Listen to the commentary, they say the murders were real....on the killer edition.
That commentary is kinda fun, because they talk about the things that were happy accidents during the shooting, and things the actors kicked in.

I suggest to read the book and forget about the movie, or else watch the movie before reading the book because the book is so much better. They did a poor job on the movie. I read the book and then watched the movie. I was very disappointed and when you read the book you will see why. American Psycho is my absolute favorite book because of the writing and how I felt I was right in Bateman's head living what he is living....I am not psycho...or am I?

Originally Posted by gummo
I suggest to read the book and forget about the movie, or else watch the movie before reading the book because the book is so much better. They did a poor job on the movie. I read the book and then watched the movie. I was very disappointed and when you read the book you will see why. American Psycho is my absolute favorite book because of the writing and how I felt I was right in Bateman's head living what he is living....I am not psycho...or am I?
thats what im saying... the book has so much more detail. the movie leaves so much out.

if you like the movie, you'll love the book.