Movie Tab II

Tools    

Your list is exciting, Nibbles. I'm glad you got to see so many great flicks.

I think everybody should bug the hell out of this girl until she writes ONE movie review. I've never once heard a real Nibble opinion on a movie.

10,000 posts, Nibbles! Gimee an opinion...I'm starvin' here!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Sullivans Travels 4/5

"There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have?"

Pure enjoyment, but also keeps the intelligent satire running throughout. At several moments, the message is hammered home so strongly you feel it in your bones, yet it never beats you over the head with it. That Veronica Lake is one fine woman. Which brings up one nice little subtle bit that I just noticed. In the film Sullivan says: "Every picture has a girl," and Lake is credited only as the girl. Jimmy Conlin is a funny little scene stealer that I'll have to see more of. If you haven't seen it, keep an eye out as it seems to come on TCM quite frequently.
I loved that one. Very fun! And very smart.

Do you know my poetry?
Sunset Blvd., A+
1950 - Billy Wilder

Masked and Anonymous, C-
2003 - Larry Charles

Jules and Jim, A
1962 - François Truffaut

You ready? You look ready.
The Edge
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

MovieForums Extra
March of the Penguins - d. Luc Jacquet - 2005 - A+ I absolutely loved this film. Even thought its a documentary, it is fascinating and totally captivating. I highly recommend it.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Stir of Echos... needed a little tweaking. Overall, a decent story, but a few scenes were awkward and some of the editing was a bit loose. Missed it by this: [------1"------] much.

Trainspotting- taken me a while to actually sit down and watch this one, several mixed expectations but it was amazing. Thoroughly recommended to anyone. 5/5

House of Flying Daggers (re-watch)- still prefer Hero, mainly because it has Tony Leung. Want to see Raise the Red Lattern (though Chinese friends suggest i won't understand it). House is a beautiful, no real complaints, my previous problems have disappeared so good good. 4/5

Lethal Weapon 4 (re-watch)- man i love Lethal Weapon, i always remember 3&4th being a bit shod, but i was wrong. This just plain fun, well directed with great perfomances. 5/5

Open Your Eyes- cracking film, really made me think, not in like a deep way, just in terms of the confusing plot. Wasnt expecting the sci-fi element but was pleasantly pleased by it. Reminded me off Mulholland Drive, fans of that will surely enjoy this. Havn't seen Vanilla Sky, quite curious to see it now. 5/5

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
House of Flying Daggers (re-watch)- still prefer Hero, mainly because it has Tony Leung. Want to see Raise the Red Lattern (though Chinese friends suggest i won't understand it). House is a beautiful, no real complaints, my previous problems have disappeared so good good.
I feel broadly the same - HOFD is beautiful, just not quite as beautiful as Hero. The set pieces are just not quite as jaw-dropping either.

Hero also stars Maggie...

And they both star Zhang Ziyi and no chinese people i know like her or find her attractive. I know enough Chinese folk for this to be very puzzling because she fine!

Anyway, i always have mixed feeling after watching House. It's quite emotional, and the fights are stunning, yet none of it leaves quite the lasting impression that Hero created- Tony Leung's eyes as he lets himself go, or the arrow silhouette of Jet Li or the defending of the scripture school. It's still good, just not a sticker...

Once Upon A Time In The West (rewatch)- Leone's finest, and that's saying a lot. I mean, really a lot. My all-time favorite western, and one of my ten favorite films EVER. 4/4

Pirahna 2: The Spawning- put simply, this film is ****ing awesome. A sequel better than the original. And so scary, well, if Jaws scared you from going in the sea, this will scare you from going in the bath! 6/5
Actually, wait, it sucked 3/10

Species 2- fun gory horror sequel. Madsen kicks ass like normal. Was no where near as shoddy as i was expected. Pleasant late night treat. 3.5/5

I ate all your bees.
A fistful of dollars - I'm starting to watch the man with no name series. After watching this movie I think I'm going to enjoy this trilogy...

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Teaching Mrs Tingle (rewatch) --- really like this movie, Helen Mirren steals the show as the malicious Mrs Tingle. Katie Holmes does her best to lead the cast but doesnt quite manage it. Good effort though

Donnie Darko (first timer) --- didnt understand it wholly but it was an awesome spectacle. I loved the way in a ong shot it was slowed down for a minute or two, it just gave it a more surreal quality that i thought worked really well. Although admittedly I did miss parts cause i was watching teaching mrs tingle at the same time but i got the most part. I liked Drew Barrymore in this, a more serious, more realistic role for her to carry off and she did it well. Very impressed with Jake's performance and Jena Malone's.

There's a ton of stuff on the DVD that helps explain it...not to mention about 5 trillion messages all over the net.