Concert Tab

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
We need this tab now don't we?

Yesterday I went to a one day festival; Accelerator in Malmö, Sweden. I watched Smog, Teenage Fanclub, Logh and Sonic Youth and the end of a gig with The Secret Machines which was my first encounter with them. Pretty cool line up with drums, guitar and organ. They were really energic and fun to watch.

It was the third time I saw Smog and they were great as usual. Bill Callahan is really quite an original guy. I love his voice and the way he tells stories. Teenage Fanclub were a bit disappointing. They've gotten old (in a bad way). I like funny talk between the songs but when Norman Blake (something of a hero for me) makes funny faces and jokes about guitars out of tune DURING the songs it's gone too far. But they showed their potential here and there in some tracks, especially in the new songs which probably are more inspiring to them. And then of course the last track - "Everything Flows" - was magnificent. Logh, the best swedish band around presently, were fantastic of course. I love them. GET THEIR RECORD, DAMNIT!! And Sonic Youth did their thing and did it with bravura as was expected from these noise pop veterans. Thurston Moore threw his guitar out in the crowd and let the audience "play" it while Kim, Renaldo and the others created walls of sound on stage. It was the first time I saw them and I really enjoyed it.

Overall it was a nice experience but today my ears are not happy. Not happy at all.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Sad to hear that the Fanclub have seen better days...

I went to a Roots festival on Saturday, not my sort of thing but Richie Havens was a cool guy. Next up is probably The Pixies in Dublin next month - I haven't seen them since Doolittle so should be fun.

Went to small room to see some small bands, good night, rather pissed- 7 pints, head liners were Days of Worth, not that you've heard of them, i hadn't.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Sad to hear that the Fanclub have seen better days...
Apparently they've received some good reviews in the papers and they did have some problems with the sound, but yes I felt like they didn't have one of their best nights.

I went to a Roots festival on Saturday, not my sort of thing but Richie Havens was a cool guy. Next up is probably The Pixies in Dublin next month - I haven't seen them since Doolittle so should be fun.
Cool. I'm waiting for the original Dinosaur Jr lineup to reach my parts. Unexpected that J and Lou are talking to each other again. But I'm looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I saw DJ years ago - they were loud, but not as loud as The Wedding Present who were touring around the same time.
Yeah, I've seen DJ one time and J Mascis + The Fog one time and they've played loud as hell both times. Nowadays I always bring earplugs to the shows just in case. My ears are unfortunately marked by years of devil's music listening.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Yeah, I've seen DJ one time and J Mascis + The Fog one time and they've played loud as hell both times. Nowadays I always bring earplugs to the shows just in case. My ears are unfortunately marked by years of devil's music listening.
I'm slightly deaf in my left ear too - too long standing beside the bass amp.

The most recent concert I've been to was Bright Eyes/The Faint (They're two different bands). I'm going to a NIN concert in Denver this fall.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
The only concert so far this summer for me was Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson with opening act: The Greencards. In terms of performance The Greencards were probably the best IMO. Sadly Bob Dylan has also "gotten old in a bad way." However I'm just glad I saw Dylan when I had the chance. He would probably be within the top 3 if I made a list of top ten musicians. I'll be tagging along for free to a Crosby, Stills and Nash concert in a little over a week and then probably Loudon Wainwright III in August. Other than that I have nothing planned but maybe I'll catch a couple shows at The Iron Horse: the best venue around, always pretty cheap and usually never sells out so you don't have to rush to buy tickets.

I just saw Blues Traveler. I'm not really a fan, and wasn't really familiar with their work, but they were pretty decent. I can dig a good jam band every now and then, and although the show was a little repetitive, their were some kickass harmonica solos and the lead singer put on a good show. I really came for the opening act, a local teen band called The Rising Sons that sound, look, and feel like a young Who and Led Zeppelin. They put on a great show, and I think these guys will be something to look out for. Tomorrow my friend's band has a gig, so I'll check that out. Other than that, there's not a whole hell of a lot of good bands coming to Old Virginny's capital city, at least nothing monsterously amazing like the Pixies... lucky bastard.

My ticket for Reading is in the post
Iron Maiden, Marilyn Manson, Nofx, Iggy and the Stooges, Incubus, Alkaline Trio, Turbonegro, Funeral for a Friend. Yayness! (Even though i'm not big fans of any them lot)

Should be seeing Amen tmw evening as well.

Saw Amen. Good night, here's how it went.

Got stoned, got tickets, got in, got drunk, go out, got stoned, got kebab, walked home in the rain, sex with the ex.

This morning, huge migrain, couple hours with my head in the toilet, then sleeping all afternoon. My ears are still ringing. So yeah, good night.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
My ticket for Reading is in the post
Iron Maiden, Marilyn Manson, Nofx, Iggy and the Stooges, Incubus, Alkaline Trio, Turbonegro, Funeral for a Friend. Yayness! (Even though i'm not big fans of any them lot)
i curse you! ( the bands you mentioned are shyte, but every other band i like is playing reading this year:The Arcade Fire,QOTSA, Bloc Party, Kings of Leon, The Bravery,Hot Hot Heat,Clor,The Killers,Lcd Soundsystem )
on a lighter note, i just got my tickets to the "independent days" festival in Bologna ( italy ), and i'm going to see QOTSA, Bloc Party, The Bravery, The Futureheads, Maximo Park and some other bands.....by far the biggest gig i am going to see.....so far.....

Im not a fan of all that trendy music, pisses me off.

Iron Maiden, even though i don't like them much, they demand resepct, seeing them live will own.

QOTSA just pale to Kyuss, not sure if i could see them without John Garcia in the lineup, it would be cheating myself. Didn't like Lullabies too much either, i heard my downloaded version isn't the same as the released, but it WAS Songs for the Deaf, there was almost no difference, i thought it was the same album many a time.

A system of cells interlinked
Last couple of shows:

Garbage @ Avalon, Boston
. Some of my DJ friends work for Newbury comics, a big music/comic/DVD chain here in the Northeast, and one of them was able to score us a VIP enclosure in the club. Excellent show, with our own personal waitress on hand. Shirley Manson was captivating, and the band seemed energized and passionate.

The Curiosa Tour (The Cure, Interpol, Muse, various others) - Excellent outdoor venue, with some good acts. Muse was insane, and blew everyone else off the stage, except maybe Robert Smith himself. The rest of The Cure seemed bored/asleep/there for the check. The show was worth it for Muse alone, and perhaps also to hear The Forest live...

Don't hit many concerts these days, as my list shows. Curiosa was last year...

Neutral Milk Hotel
Tommorow im goin to Brian Jonestown Massacre in Cleveland at the Grog Shop.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Crosby, Stills and Nash - Awesome show. Sure they are aging but their voices aren't really. They mixed in a bunch of new songs in their first set that were mostly so-so and their political commentary seemed crafted without any substance or purpose other than to move the crowd, so I didn't care for it. But then the second set tore the roof off the mothasucka. I closed my eyes during "Wooden Ships" and traveled with the music through a land of pure sonic bliss (no narcotics even involved). I always thought these guys were good but after this show I have the utmost respect for their songcraft and musical prowess.

Just got back from Reading. OMGZ!!1

Wasn't too impressed with many of the early sets, but Marilyn Manson and Iron Maiden ****ing owned. I managed to get right up to the front in the big mosh pit for Maiden. Shoving and jumping around with other sweating men is the height of manliness. My t-shirt was literally soaked through with sweat, beer and water. And where i was at the boundary for the first sets, half my face and neck have been sun burnt, so i look like the dude from Batman.

EPIC.

We can't stop here!
I haven't been to a real concert since I saw System of a Down not long ago. It was one of the "Guerilla" dates before they toured for real. Was one of the best concerts I've been to. THey're good live.

At the end of September I'm going to ACL. Austin City Limits. It's going to be HUGE. 3 days of awesome music and drugs everywhere. They always manage to get drugs in.
http://www.austincitylimits.com/festival/default.asp
Heres the lineup

The one I'm sure to see:
Asleep at the Wheel
Spoon
The Allman Brothers Band
The Black Crowes
Robert Randolph & the Family Band
Widespread Panic
Oasis
The Bravery(probably)
Coldplay