The 40 Year Old Virgin

Tools    

United International Pictures has added a new 'Mature Audience Only' International trailer for Judd Apatow's The 40-Year-Old Virgin with Steve Carell, Catherine Keener and Paul Rudd. You can view the U.S. trailer here.

40 Year Old Virgin
40-year-old Andy Stitzer (Steve Carrell) has done quite a few things in his life. He's got a cushy job stamping invoices at an electronics superstore, a nice apartment with a proud collection of action figures and comic books, good friends, a nice attitude. But there's just one little thing he hasn't quite gotten around to doing yet--something most people have done by his age. Done a lot. Andy's never, ever, ever had sex--not even by accident. So is that such a big deal?

Well, for Andy's buds at the store, it sure is. Although they think he's a bit of an oddball, there's certainly a planetful of stranger (and homelier) guys who've at least had one go at having a go. They consider it their duty to help Andy out of his dire situation and go to great lengths to help him. But nothing proves effective enough to lure their friend out of lifelong chastity until he meets Trish (Catherine Keener), a 40-year-old mother of three. Andy's friends are psyched by the possibility that "it" may finally happen...until they hear that Andy and Trish have begun their relationship based on a mutual no-sex policy.

Release Date: August 19, 2005
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Judd Apatow
Screenwriter: Judd Apatow, Steve Carell
Starring: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener
Genre: Comedy
MPAA Rating: R (for pervasive sexual content, language and some drug use)
Official Website: The40YearOldVirgin.com

It does look quite funny.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
A conservative's hero
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

Neutral Milk Hotel
I just think its REALLY sad that people cant think of a better idea for a movie than a 40 year old man who hasnt had sex. God, movie concepts these days are making my stomach churn.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
I just think its REALLY sad that people cant think of a better idea for a movie than a 40 year old man who hasnt had sex. God, movie concepts these days are making my stomach churn.
The sad thing is that sex sells. While it sells, people get dumber and their money is taken away. (Though I am one of those people that takes the money )

I won't be having kids, especially if it means bringing them into this generation or the next. It's obviously pointless when it'll be a failed attempt at good, honest parenting.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
While I agree that the premise isn't the greatest, I did thoroughly enjoy Steve Carell's performance in Anchorman. That said, it still will have to go on my queue of movies to rent. I definitely will not go to the theater for that one.

yea i agree he was hilarious in Anchorman, if it wasnt be for him i wouldnt have really liked Anchorman

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Looks like they're trying to milk his nervy performance from Anchorman. I think after seeing the trailer, there's probably no need to see the film, looks like all the best bits were in the trailer.
Possible typecasting for Carell?
Oh well, at least Will Ferell isn't in it!!! Begining to despise him, his one trick pony is waring very thin!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I wouldn't doubt if it makes us all laugh bunches of times...but there may very well be an equal amount of eye rolling and exasperated sighing to boot.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by Godsend
I won't be having kids, especially if it means bringing them into this generation or the next. It's obviously pointless when it'll be a failed attempt at good, honest parenting.
Yeah, no one can raise good kids today. Society is so evil and twisted compared to 50 years ago... What a huge, steaming load of sh|t.

Originally Posted by firegod
Yeah, no one can raise good kids today. Society is so evil and twisted compared to 50 years ago... What a huge, steaming load of sh|t.
Who the HELL are you to tell me what I choose and choose not to? Seriously...is there some computer that you have in another room where you control other's lives? I doubt it. So in return, shut the hell up.

Who the HELL are you to tell me what I choose and choose not to? Seriously...is there some computer that you have in another room where you control other's lives? I doubt it. So in return, shut the hell up.
Uh, you posted an opinion on a public message board, and he posted his in reply. Grow up. If you can't handle disagreement, then don't post such stark opinions on an open board for anyone to see and reply to. He didn't come barging into your home or anything.

Originally Posted by firegod
I don't share Godsend's silly nihilism (which represents the kind of despondency and worldwide qualitative judgement that only a teenager living in the suburbs could possibly have), but at the same time kids were clearly far more well-mannered in the 50s. One trip to the mall or glance at national test scores shows you how far we've fallen.

I understand that some things are arguably worse, but in my opinion, more things are undeniably better. For example: racism, sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance, bigotry against the disabled, and probably others I haven't thought of. However, these are all things that are still problematic, and I predict that in another 50 years all of those things will have improved once again.

And Godsend, I never told you what to do; I was a little harsh though, so I'm sorry if I offended you.

Uh, you posted an opinion on a public message board, and he posted his in reply. Grow up. If you can't handle disagreement, then don't post such stark opinions on an open board for anyone to see and reply to. He didn't come barging into your home or anything.
Chris...I'm very pleased that you could categorize my post as an opinion. (I'd do the same myself). Now let's think about it. He went ahead and told me it was flipping ridiculius and all of that. I don't care...but it gets to the part where he's silently saying your opinion sucks and you should follow my views. If you didn't sense it, blow your nose and take a sniff.

I don't share Godsend's silly nihilism (which represents the kind of despondency and worldwide qualitative judgement that only a teenager living in the suburbs could possibly have), but at the same time kids were clearly far more well-mannered in the 50s. One trip to the mall or glance at national test scores shows you how far we've fallen.
I've always imagined you as a 'trucker-hat' kind of person. I don't know where you hail from...possibly th3 g4etT0? Wait...weren't you the one that said you found a bullet through your windshield and didn't care? Wow? Definiteley.

Of course there's stupidity all over the world now a days...what can we do about it? Absolutely nothing. Looking at National Test Scores would make me happier if there weren't so many weed-toking idiots out there. Do you know how many gifted children throw their life away for a ******* high? It's not a one time thing. It's more like a 'lets go out during lunch and get high, dude.' Great!!! How can you stop it? I say start beating your kids *nod*

Now you continue to talk about how far we've fallen and what not. I'm sure your right-sided view can make things all the much better. So do me a favor, and do something about it. Add to the crap or reduce it.

I understand that some things are arguably worse, but in my opinion, more things are undeniably better. For example: racism, sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance, bigotry against the disabled, and probably others I haven't thought of. However, these are all things that are still problematic, and I predict that in another 50 years all of those things will have improved once again.
Some things? I want you to go through certain blogs of teens today. xanga, my space, whatever....take a look at their views on the world today. What'd you see? Absolute crap. They have some things in there, but it all revolves around everything they heard on MTV.

Gotta get to work.

Chris...I'm very pleased that you could categorize my post as an opinion. (I'd do the same myself). Now let's think about it. He went ahead and told me it was flipping ridiculius and all of that. I don't care...but it gets to the part where he's silently saying your opinion sucks and you should follow my views. If you didn't sense it, blow your nose and take a sniff.
Yes, he was saying your opinion sucks. What's your point? You're saying the same thing about people who have chosen to raise children by talking about how foolish and hopeless it is.

But regardless of that, it doesn't change what I said at all: either stop posting controversial things on a public message board, or grow thicker skin. You should be prepared to have your opinions challenged; even harshly. You're not some poor, defenseless newbie. You ought to know how it works by now.

I've always imagined you as a 'trucker-hat' kind of person. I don't know where you hail from...possibly th3 g4etT0? Wait...weren't you the one that said you found a bullet through your windshield and didn't care? Wow? Definiteley.
I have never worn a trucker hat in my life. I grew up in a very bad part of town, but only at a very young age, but am glad to say I live somewhere rather pleasant these days. I don't see how any of this is at all relevant, though.

I take it, however, that you DO, in fact, live in the suburbs? I mentioned it because teenagers living in relative comfort in the wealthiest nation in the world aren't in much of a position to go around spitting out a jaded view of a world they still know very little about. But for some reason, they seem the most likely to do so.

Of course there's stupidity all over the world now a days...what can we do about it? Absolutely nothing. Looking at National Test Scores would make me happier if there weren't so many weed-toking idiots out there. Do you know how many gifted children throw their life away for a ******* high? It's not a one time thing. It's more like a 'lets go out during lunch and get high, dude.' Great!!! How can you stop it? I say start beating your kids *nod*

Now you continue to talk about how far we've fallen and what not. I'm sure your right-sided view can make things all the much better. So do me a favor, and do something about it. Add to the crap or reduce it.
What on earth are you talking about, man?

Am I in the right place?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Some things? I want you to go through certain blogs of teens today. xanga, my space, whatever....take a look at their views on the world today. What'd you see? Absolute crap. They have some things in there, but it all revolves around everything they heard on MTV.
Teens always talk large amounts of crap - it's practically genetic . Fortunately they can't affect the world that much . By the time they can, they're forced to take on board realities that have been around since the 50s and 'beyond' (plus they don't get to watch MTV so much ). Society isn't exactly rocked by their world .

Originally Posted by Yoda
...but at the same time kids were clearly far more well-mannered in the 50s. One trip to the mall or glance at national test scores shows you how far we've fallen.
There are national tests for manners?

---
EDIT:
---

When are we gonna get back to discussing Virgins anyway?