Reading Tab

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Same here, Cereal. I am good with deadlines, but self-imposed fake deadlines don't work for me (because they're not real deadlines). This is a semi-real deadline, and honestly, PARTICIPATE in the forums all month. It is HILARIOUS to read some of the threads people start posting. There was one last year running all month where people were just complaining about how bad their stories sucked. They were writing like fools, getting their daily quotas, but were bemoaning the fact that everything was just "major suckage." It was hilarious to read. Everyone has a great time with it all month. I looked forward to writing every day!

Oh, and I'll tell you now: That WAITING on Oct. 31st for midnight to hit is just WEIRD. Some people don't start right at midnight, but I did. Wrote for about 1.5 hours that night before hitting the sack, but it was a wild way to start the month.

Oh, and I did get to take off for Thanksgiving Day because I was ahead on my word count.

You will have FUN!

Slay, no, I haven't read TOM GORDON yet. That's another one I own but haven't read yet. (I tend to buy King books when I see good prices, knowing I will eventually read them. Same with Rice.)

Some of my favorite King books have been THE STAND, GERALD'S GAME (what a whacked-out piece of fiction that was), BAG OF BONES (just great writing), TOMMYKNOCKERS (dunno why, just stuck with me), IT, and DREAMCATCHER (better than the movie) and DOLORES CLAIBORNE.

Gee, really, too many to list now that I am thinking about it.

This has been fun tonight, but I have to get to bed now. Bummer.

Originally Posted by Austruck
Slay, no, I haven't read TOM GORDON yet. That's another one I own but haven't read yet. (I tend to buy King books when I see good prices, knowing I will eventually read them. Same with Rice.)

Some of my favorite King books have been THE STAND, GERALD'S GAME (what a whacked-out piece of fiction that was), BAG OF BONES (just great writing), TOMMYKNOCKERS (dunno why, just stuck with me), IT, and DREAMCATCHER (better than the movie) and DOLORES CLAIBORNE.

Gee, really, too many to list now that I am thinking about it.

This has been fun tonight, but I have to get to bed now. Bummer.
Hey! You didn’t go to bed when you said you were going to! You’re cheating on me!

Okay, lame comedy aside, Bag of Bones was okay. The Tommyknockers bored the hell out of me, and Dreamcatcher was boring to me regardless of the media.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, however, is my favorite King besides The Dark Tower series.

Read it. Read it now!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
My history with the Potter man goes way back. I started reading him in fifth grade (although, unlike so many others reading Harry Potter at that age, I was reading books long before then). I tore through the books at an appropriate rate, reading each one once. When the fifth book came out it had been a while since I'd read a Harry Potter book, and I decided to wait. I finally read it last summer, and I really loved it. Fast foward to this year. It's Friday and I've completely forgotten that the book's coming out. I see something online, and convince my mom to take me to Hell (Wal-Mart) at midnight to get a copy. All of a sudden, I really wanted Harry Potter. I read three chapters that night, and the next day (yesterday) I read the whole book. I've never done that before. I've read books 1/3 this one's size in two days, but never a book in a day. But I read it, and I was blown away. Now I'm ready for book 7, but first I might just go back and revisit the series.

I've read nothing but fiction in my free time for about two years. I'm taking a break for some nonfiction reading.

Principles of Neural Science-Kandel, Schwartz, Jessel
A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters-Henshall

Kanji is the last main part of Japanese as a language I really have to intimate myself with, as not knowing it proved very detrimental to my attempts at getting around Tokyo a few weeks ago. I'll be ready next time. And Neural Science is my major, so I have no idea why I'm wasting my free time reading up on it, especially in a textbook of all things. Oh well.

Yeah, same thing here. Nothin' but Anne Rice and Stephen King and Harlequin Romances for YEARS now. I can't take it any more. I need a BREAK, man! Time to take it down a notch and read some Stephen Hawking or at least a few textbooks on quantum mechanics ... written in Mandarin Chinese, if possible.

*koff*

Let's see, a list of the books i have read recently:

Century Rain - Alastair Reynolds - Very interesting, nothing like his previous books, but still very enjoyable.
Waiting Period - Hubert Selby Jr - Brilliant.
Ubik - Philip K Dick - His only novel I like and I like it alot.
Diary - Chuck Palahniuk - Very weird, yet interesting book this.
Gateway - Frederik Pohl - Brilliant piece of Sci-Fi, one of the best.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams - Genius
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams - More Genius
Life, the Universe and Everything - Douglas Adams - More Genius, with extra genius sprinkles.

Currently Reading : Otherland - Volume One : City of Golden Shadow - Tad Williams

lately i've been reading books for young adults...

sisterhood of the traveling pants and second summer of the sisterhood
charlie and chocolate factory and the great glass elevator
and now harry potter and the half blood prince

i did just buy the girl who loved tom gordon...been wanting to get that one for a while...

Originally Posted by Austruck
Yeah, same thing here. Nothin' but Anne Rice and Stephen King and Harlequin Romances for YEARS now. I can't take it any more. I need a BREAK, man! Time to take it down a notch and read some Stephen Hawking or at least a few textbooks on quantum mechanics ... written in Mandarin Chinese, if possible.

*koff*
I don't get it. It must be my obscenely large intellect interfering. Wait a minute, I think I hear a baby seal calling. Allow me to go perform a medical miracle, and then we can continue this discussion.

Bruce Campbell Groupie
Lost Souls by Poppy Z Brite

MovieForums Extra
I finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on Sunday. I spent the day just enjoying the hell out of it. It made me laugh and cry (as usual) and I can't wait to spend more quality time with it again.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (like the rest of the world)
Then The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (as per Slay's suggestion) and then The Historian (REALLY looks good!)

Lets put a smile on that block
I just finished Half Blood Prince. So Sad! What did you think of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gorden Lindarelly?

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Right now I'm reading "You Shall Know Our Velocity" by Dave Eggers. I'm about half way thorough but it's pretty good so far.

blib, I meant that The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is next ... after HBP. (And, NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!)

I'll let (and Slay) know what I think when I finally get it done!