Lets Talk Football

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Revenge of Mr M
53% of Sydney Morning Herald readers believe that England will win by more than 30 points, mwahaha.

Well sad ends for Scotland and Wales although the tournament just wouldn't have been quite the same without the Dutch ) Latvia are in the finals! That's a major shock I have to say.
Bah. Let's not talk football (poor little wales - i'll just haver to adpot latvia as my underdog team then )

I support Dundee F.C., but like Man City. I don't really like any other sports, except beach soccer, or masters football. I like playing others, but just find them boring to watch.

Ok, thread resurrection.

Anyone just see the Liverpool - AC Milan game?

I belive in miracles. That was drama, that was class

(and this from a Spurs fan, whose only hope of Euro football is the fariplay draw )

Proper feckin gold-plated entertainment.

And sh*t, i was gonna watch Fellinini's La Strada tonight. Guess it'll have to be tomorrow

EDIT: I'll take my entertainment blood simple and spontaneous for tonight

The People's Republic of Clogher
Proper wobbly-legged penalty saving japery, I can tell you!

I have the misfortune to be a Glentoran fan but I lived in Liverpool during my college years and went to Anfield many times so they're a team I have a degree of affection for (my Great Uncle played for Everton though, between the wars, so I can talk my way out of most footie-related tension on Merseyside).

A great match, superb comeback, wonderful atmosphere etc though I wonder if they'll be allowed to defend the title?

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
OMG!!! I am so sick of people saying that absolutely ridiculous statement. How would you like to be hit hard and thrown to the ground by a 6'5" 350 pond man running at full speed? WITHOUT PROTECTION???? GOD!!!
Well, my back problems started when I was double knee-dropped by a 6 foot 5 Lock by the name of 'Big' Davey Tweed during practice for a 2nd XV match when I was 19. He buys me a pint occasionally in the club, probably out of pity...

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Proper wobbly-legged saving japery
Before or after the penalites?

Well, my back problems started when I was double knee-dropped by a 6 foot 5 Lock by the name of 'Big' Davey Tweed
I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted any armour tho - that would've been cheating (Hell, only time i was on a rugby pitch i gave the ball to whoever was nearest and just ran the other way. But, wait, maybe those are the rules? - Nah, it was coz i was eight stone - and the teams were both a kind of mud-coloured hue )

Originally Posted by Golgot
I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted any armour tho - that would've been cheating )
They wear a bit of protection thesedays, under the shirts, nothing too fancy though.

I went to a 'rugby' school and being a big lump as a teenager didn't have much choice about playing the game. Was never much good though, more brute force and ignorance than skill.

Someone once said that rugby was a game played by hooligans and watched by gentlemen while football was a game played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans.

He'd obviously never seen Lee Bowyer in action.

...while football was a game played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans.

He'd obviously never seen Lee Bowyer in action.
Nice

Although i'm not sure Bowyer even qualifies for the man bit (he looks more like some form of evil overgrown ferret )

Soz to hear about your rugby ruckus tho. I only avoided that sh*t by being cack in the first place (and coz they'd banned rugby for years in my school for years - a guy had got his head fatally pronged on the railings at the side of the pitch). Lovely sport. Rather watch it than risk my kidneys amongst it - but that's probably coz i'm theoretically Welsh .

A good mate of mine was a pretty handy player, so handy that he got into a selection match for an Ireland tour to Zimbabwe 10ish years back.

Broke his leg in 2 places half way through the game which ended his career, was off work for months and still walks with a limp.

If you're theoretically Welsh I can tell my Matt Dawson story without fear of reprisal then.

He goes out with a girl who hails from round these parts and appeared in the local club with her a few months after the World Cup win. Now I always thought he was a cocky so & so on the pitch - he was the same in person.

The same, that is, until a 70 year old rheumatic ex-bank manager called Billy poured a pint over his head. I doubt if Billy's had to buy a drink there since (the whereabouts of Dawson are unknown but he was apparently spotted exchanging wisecracks with a failed Scottish comedian and a leather-skinned friend of Cliff Richard).

(the whereabouts of Dawson are unknown but he was apparently spotted exchanging wisecracks with a failed Scottish comedian and a leather-skinned friend of Cliff Richard).
Ahh, that's what the Englophiles need, Cliff Richard-ites encouraging them on in the rain .

Yeah, i never knew how to deal with England winning that last rugby cup. They were still a bunch of triple-chinned tossers after they won .

It me caught in my own little dilemma: I'm English born, Welsh-and-Australian of blood, and my one cricket-following mate won't even let me support the Aussies when the Ashes are on . So i've just settled for focusing on footie - with a sliding scale from England to... whoever's doing better out of the Aussies or Wales . (Occasionally i support Colchester United as well )

Ahh, that's what the Englophiles need, Cliff Richard-ites encouraging them on in the rain .
You're not a fan of A Question Of Sport?

I've seen Colchester Utd play - my sis used to live there.

Fortunately I don't have any National quandries when it comes to supporting Ireland, though my stepdad comes from Salford and is a rabid Man Utd and England fan which makes the 3 trips to Lansdowne Rd we make each year 'interesting'...

The Ashes might actually be a contest this year, Harmison's form and Freddie's fitness permitting, but I'd go with my heart and support the winning side.

Now Cricket's a proper sport...

...I'd go with my heart and support the winning side.

Now Cricket's a proper sport...
I don't know what i'll do if England win the Ashes. All my underdog teams are suddenly becoming overdogs

I must become Caligari..!
I don't know what i'll do if England win the Ashes. All my underdog teams are suddenly becoming overdogs
... I don't think you have much to worry about, Your team may be improving, but 'comeon, You still odnt have much of a chance with us.
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Go Gators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait am I in the right place?

Originally Posted by Hondo333
... I don't think you have much to worry about, Your team may be improving, but 'comeon, You still odnt have much of a chance with us.
Your cricketing Empire will fall sir!

Originally Posted by 7thson
Go Gators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait am I in the right place?
Yep, i think we're officially re-terming any game with a ball 'football'

I am having a nervous breakdance
How about that Champions League final!! My goodness.... Before the game I wanted Milan to win because they've played the most entertaining football. But after the greatest turn-around in history of european cup football I think Liverpool deserve the title one hundred percent. Incredible... That goalie is something else. And the moral and team spirit of Liverpool is amazing...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

That might have been the keeper's last game for them too. (Mainly coz he can't hold on to the ball - he gave it to Milan about as often as he saved from them in that game - he's definitely entertaining tho ).

I nearly didn't watch the second half. Glad i did

That might have been the keeper's last game for them too. (Mainly coz he can't hold on to the ball - he gave it to Milan about as often as he saved from them in that game - he's definitely entertaining tho ).

I nearly didn't watch the second half. Glad i did
He's off I think, there's another keeper on the way apparently (can't remember his name but think he plays in Spain).

Dudek's dodgy but had a heck of a game, much like Lehmann in the FA Cup final. Wouldn't trust him over a whole season.

My football team is the marvellously ****ty Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs), based in London Town. Perhaps we should enter the real debate which is:

When are you guys going to stop using our word? Football, the game of the feet, was named as such first. Later, the name "soccer" was taken from the phrase Association Football. Seeing as it's a superflous secondary term, why don't you guys use it for that funny cissy game you play mainly with the hands? The one where you do actually "sock" each other on a regular basis! You see! It'd make sense!

(ps - i used to like the "soccer" team called the 49ers when i was a young'un)
hehe...yeah, i was gonna say something about that but i see you already have...great game...milan - liverpool....