Dick Tracy (1990)

→ in
Tools    

Everyone I've ever asked hated this movie. Personally, I think it's fantastic. Does anyone else share my opinion, or is it universally disliked by all except for me?

Yeah, it's an inventive and fun movie. The set design, costumes and cinematography are amazing. Even still today, with the technology being used by Beatty and co. long since surpassed. It's far and away one of the very best comic adaptation ever - though too seldom mentioned. And it manages to be great despite a sloppy final act. The easy charm and brilliant style of the film carry it past its inadequacies.

But of course you're not the only person on the planet who likes Dick Tracy. How silly. It's not like you're a slobbering fan of Battlefield Earth...then you really might be alone - just you and Johnny Travolta anyway.

Sounds like you need some new friends.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am a glorified ape.
I liked Dick Tracy. Recently, when I saw the trailer for Sin City I thought of Dick Tracy. I don't think they're ripping it off. I'm just saying that it's cool that once again somebody's making a comic book come to life.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Yep, the film one major problem...

... it had Madonna in it!

Registered Loser.
i love dick tracy, its dumb but loveable. well, dumb in a wierdly clever way. clearly al pacino's greatest roll. :P nah its great, so colourful and stylised.

"I can't help it..."
This film was pretty fun, from what I remember. I liked Dustin Hoffman's character the most; I think he was called Mumbles... Not sure... Good costume and set designs too.
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
Everyone I've ever asked hated this movie. Personally, I think it's fantastic. Does anyone else share my opinion, or is it universally disliked by all except for me?
When this movie was released on video, I bought it almost immediately. I thought Dick Tracy was great. It was my parents favorite comic strip when I was a kid. So I was already familiar with some of the characters;i.e.- Flattop, The Brow, Pruneface. Al Pacino was absolutely hilarious as Big Boy Caprice. And Madonna just sizzled as Breathless Mahoney.

I remember when it came out. I loved it as a kid. I had all the action figures. Still a fun movie. If I could find it on DVD I'd buy it.

Wow I havent seen this film in a long time.I remember it being very cheesy and dull though.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
For me it was one of those situations where you reveal to someone that you haven't seen a certain movie that they (my cousin) loved and then they make you watch it. I'm glad he did too cuz it was great, very stylish and fun, great adaptation and i loved the makeup and costumes

I have only seen Dick Tracy once, and that was back on opening day. I remember thinking that it looked great, but the story bored me. My tastes have refined over the years, so I may like it more now. But honestly, I haven’t felt compelled to give it another shot. Maybe if I notice it on HBO some night…
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I even bought a Dick Tracy activity book. I was around 11 that time. And I'm still waiting for the a copy of the video.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Had to order it on DVD from FYE. Great film. It's right up there with Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Flash Gordon as some of my favorite early childhood films.

Originally Posted by ceddy
Never seen that movie
Well then thanks for contributing that bit of intelligence, wit and insight to the thread.

Why don't you go rent it and, after you actually have something to say, come on back?

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Well then thanks for contributing that bit of intelligence, wit and insight to the thread.

Why don't you go rent it and, after you actually have something to say, come on back?
Heh. I just read all 8 posts of his and the grand total on the word count for all 8 posts combined is.....17.

If Its Got Large Pointy Teeth, RUN!
I can't say I'm a fan of Dick Tracy - I find it sort of, annoying. I could only watch 30 mins of it, before switching channel.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190507,00.html

Does this mean there are plans out there for someone to make a sequel or remake? Anyone have any buzz?