Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Tools    

My friends and I are trying to settle an argument here ... hope you can help!

Are the fighting scenes in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
sped up in some way or are the hand movements etc really as fast as they appear on the big screen?

NB. We had no problems agreeing that the actors can't really fly

The hand moving speed looks real to me. You will notice the difference when you fastforward a type. I watched many real kungfu matches and fights when I was back in China. The movements can br as fast as you see on the big screen. As a young boy, I always tried to learn kungfu and dream a lot just as Ang Lee did when he was young. Couldn't find a master in my neighborhood and school, but learn a few things from my upper schoolmates. Crouching tiger is one of the best kungfu movies I have ever seen. The story telling is even better and it is beautiful. I am going to watch it again. Hope you have enjoyed it.

It was a beautiful movie. I used to study Karate and
thought the fighting scenes and sword work in this movie were just stunning. My hunch is the scenes were real-time.

are there any Kung Fu movie experts out there that can help me identify a kung fu movie that has a scene with a a guy wrapped on a boulder by vines using the vines to fight with I need to know i want this film badly and dont know the name

If you check out my top 100 list you'll see I'm a rather big fan of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. That being said, the reading I've done indicates it is the actual movement... Granted the editing and music can often make things appear a little faster than they actually are, but nevertheless, an amazing film.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

You do realize, Mose, that the question was asked 3 years ago...right?

"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

No I hadn't... Dang all these people bringing up ancient threads!

Originally Posted by Beyonder
are there any Kung Fu movie experts out there that can help me identify a kung fu movie that has a scene with a a guy wrapped on a boulder by vines using the vines to fight with I need to know i want this film badly and dont know the name
whats important here is my question

motivationally deficient
if anyone watched the commentry on the DVD, ang lee says that when michelle (yeow?) goes to chop Zhang Ziyi's head off and stops, the film isnt reversed, she swings the sword and just stops. Thats good control. anyone do kung fu here?

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by trotskyist
if anyone watched the commentry on the DVD, ang lee says that when michelle (yeow?) goes to chop Zhang Ziyi's head off and stops, the film isnt reversed, she swings the sword and just stops. Thats good control. anyone do kung fu here?
I wouldn't recommend anyone using Kung Fu in a real fight...
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
I wouldn't recommend anyone using Kung Fu in a real fight...

I kind of need to concur here. I took Kung Fu (A hybrid kempo/wing-chun) for a few years and yes, in an actual altercation, half mooning in on the opponent and attempting a thrust punch will probably get you your ass handed to you. This is why many kung fu experts I have met branch of to other styles eventually. Fixed stances and combos just aren't practical in a 'real" fight. But the whole thing is, Kung Fu isn't for fighting. No, really, it isn't. It is for exercise, focus, timing, and meditation. I found I got a ton out of the katas (forms) as far as balance and flexibility and focus was concerned. Many of the other people I know took some hapkido and some boxing, and well and Jeet-Kun Do (Bruce Lee's style)

Sedai is correct

Katas help with your fitness, agility etc but the only way to train for a real fight is through full contact sparring

Mixed Martial Arts is probably the best bet these days (the kind of fighting you see in the Ultimate Fighting Championship). I like movies like Crouching Tiger but the stuff they use in the movies is totally ineffective in a real street fight....

motivationally deficient
ive done taekwondo for 6 years and dabbled in wing chun. i think kung Fu is excellent for self defence and street situations. but ur right sedai, it develops focus, control and balance. but that is what helps if ur attacked. You want to finish the fight with one technique and then ...Run.

Originally Posted by Sedai
I kind of need to concur here. I took Kung Fu (A hybrid kempo/wing-chun) for a few years and yes, in an actual altercation, half mooning in on the opponent and attempting a thrust punch will probably get you your ass handed to you. This is why many kung fu experts I have met branch of to other styles eventually. Fixed stances and combos just aren't practical in a 'real" fight. But the whole thing is, Kung Fu isn't for fighting. No, really, it isn't. It is for exercise, focus, timing, and meditation. I found I got a ton out of the katas (forms) as far as balance and flexibility and focus was concerned. Many of the other people I know took some hapkido and some boxing, and well and Jeet-Kun Do (Bruce Lee's style)
You forgot picking up chicks Sedai! Really, how many times do you think Keanu has tried to use the 'I know Kung-Fu' line to get laid? I'm betting I'd have to take my shoes off to count that high!

Sometimes in Kung Fu movies they'll use a faster film stock during the fighting scenes because the movements are too fast to be captured with regular 25-30 fps film. I haven't seen CTHD in a few years so I don't know if its the case with that film but it certainly is a possibility.

motivationally deficient
i dont think keanu would know much kung fu, is the matrix his only movie with kung fu?.

Originally Posted by trotskyist
ive done taekwondo for 6 years and dabbled in wing chun. i think kung Fu is excellent for self defence and street situations. but ur right sedai, it develops focus, control and balance. but that is what helps if ur attacked. You want to finish the fight with one technique and then ...Run.
All I can say is good luck with TKD and Wing Chun. I'll pray you don't get killed. What gets me is TKD and Kung Fu classes always say one technique should end the fight but they never spar real time. Also, style vs style fights have occured many times over the years and Jiu Jitsu dominated every other martial arts. The best stand up arts suitable for street fights are Muay Thai or boxing. Muay Thai masters have fought Kung Fu masters hundreds of times over the years and only on the rare occasion did the Kung Fu masters win.

motivationally deficient
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
All I can say is good luck with TKD and Wing Chun. I'll pray you don't get killed. What gets me is TKD and Kung Fu classes always say one technique should end the fight but they never spar real time. Also, style vs style fights have occured many times over the years and Jiu Jitsu dominated every other martial arts. The best stand up arts suitable for street fights are Muay Thai or boxing. Muay Thai masters have fought Kung Fu masters hundreds of times over the years and only on the rare occasion did the Kung Fu masters win.
dont knock it unless youve tried it mate. Sparring is a major part of TKD. unless youve been living under a rock you should know that. were did you get the idea of jui jitsu dominating? no martial art exactly dominates id like to see some jui jitsu taking on aikido, that would be cool

Not a huge fan, thought hero was a much better film

cool thread.. one of my favorite movies!