The Cooking Thread

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
@ynwtf: your CEO is a dog?!

and where's the Cheerwine?
pretty much. that mut is here even days the boss is out of town.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You ready? You look ready.
pretty much. that mut is here even days the boss is out of town.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

My ribs...
Well, not "mine," but i smoked 'em.

Lordy, so many dead animals.

Lordy, so many dead animals.

lol. TECHNICALLY, just 2 and a half.

I honestly can't remember if you've stated if you're vegetarian or not. If you do eat meat, have you ever had southern smoked meats?

lol. TECHNICALLY, just 2 and a half.

I honestly can't remember if you've stated if you're vegetarian or not. If you do eat meat, have you ever had southern smoked meats?
I’m a vegetarian.

Random update: a few weeks back, I taught my girlie-friend how to bake baby back ribs like the pics, above. 4.5 hours it took. She made two racks. Her pops, brother, and the pop's girlie-friend all showed up. Everyone said her ribs were better than the pop's. Even his girlie-friend asked for the recipe, stating she doesn't usually like ribs. Two weeks later, he had to grill his version of them to reclaim his status. Everyone ate them, but everyone also compared them to his daughter's and that hers "fell of the bone."

My job here is done.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
This makes me think of my her-friend and Thanksgiving turkeys. She does a bourbon glaze (along with another 45 other steps that probably bring the total time-invested to the equivalent of a standard term pregnancy) while the mother makes a standard turkey.

The next day, people ask for turkey leftovers but have a sudden change of heart, when all that is left is mother’s.
🤗

This makes me think of my her-friend and Thanksgiving turkeys. She does a bourbon glaze (along with another 45 other steps that probably bring the total time-invested to the equivalent of a standard term pregnancy) while the mother makes a standard turkey.

The next day, people ask for turkey leftovers but have a sudden change of heart, when all that is left is mother’s.
🤗
What is a “her-friend”?

^still lol'ing.

Last night I got to experiment again in cooking. People keep saying it's a special night, so figured I'd have to go all sliced steak and such. The more I obsessed, the more I thought red meat to be too dense. Too, s'rimps is (bugs) Kel's favorite, so I decided to go light.

We started with a homemade basil pesto. This required roasted pine nuts. Yes, we heated them in a dry skillet until brown. If you've never used or made roasted pine nuts, I highly recommend doing so immediately. It's a subtle flavor bordering a mix of dry popped corn and walnut, but the aroma is so great and spreading---as long as you don't burn them. 2-5 minutes, tops, stirring over medium heat. Those were then promptly crushed and mixed into extra-virgin olive oil, chopped basil, parmesan cheese, garlic, and lemon juice.

The pesto was later added to a penne pasta on boil. Once drained, halved-cherry tomatoes, more olive oil, and more cheese were all tossed into the mix with the pesto.

Finally, we mixed a bit of medium-sized s'rimps (is bugs) into a bowl of cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, chili power and cumin, all to simmer over medium heat until done. Only a few minutes here too. The s'rimps was wrapped in lettuce leaves and topped with avocado slices, more cheese, more cilantro, and strips of either siracha mayo or cilantro avocado dressing.

After, we unrolled a tube of frozen cinnamon rolls and placed thin apple slices against the row. Rolling them BACK up made giant cinnamon roll flowers!

Fats n happies, tryin' not to pass out on the couch after the sweets and champagne.

Happy Valentine's, y'all.

@ynwtf.

Your post makes me hungry. I noticed you have a mortar and pestle. Are you a professional chef?

Ha no. I just like processes and patterns. Cooking is a process for me and it helps me clear my head usually. My grandma loved to cook too. There's just something satisfying about starting something, finishing it, and then watching others enjoy that something. Hopefully.

Everything in that post was from one recipe or another scrounged up online last week. The mortar and pestle I picked up over the weekend. Figured it would be fun to try to use for the pesto, which I've never used or done before!

I don't cook, but I do watch copious amounts of cooking programs and for the last few years I've been watching this excellent chef on Youtube called Chef Jean Pierre.

https://www.youtube.com/@ChefJeanPierre

He has 50 years of cooking experience. He had a successful restaurant, then retired from that and did a cooking school, and now he's on his third career as a Youtube chef. He is without a doubt the most entertaining, informative and engaging chef I have seen. I think anyone who is not already a professional chef will learn something from him! Most importantly, he talks a lot about not only what to do, but why it's important to do it that way. His enthusiasm for cooking is amazing!

Will check it out. Thanks!