Oppenheimer

Tools    

It's been that way for quite a while, December is usually par for big tentpole summer movies to release one.

Nolan never made a bad movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Here's a powerful statement on this movie from the man himself:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Nolan never made a bad movie.
While I like a lot of Nolan's work, I disagree with this. In my opinion, "Tenet" was a bad movie. It was impossible to understand what was going on. I could watch that movie 10 times and still not understand the plot.

While I like a lot of Nolan's work, I disagree with this. In my opinion, "Tenet" was a bad movie. It was impossible to understand what was going on. I could watch that movie 10 times and still not understand the plot.
Yea I appreciated his ambition on that flick but was way to muddled. He has had complexed stories before where he relied on the audiences smarts to catch up like in Inception...however Inception you felt like you could grasp on at points and catch up. Tenet never really had those markers so you always felt behind.

I also thought the casting was weird. Denzel's kid was sort of wooden to me and a strange pairing with Debicki. If you are trying to make Denzel's character a badass protagonist pairing him with the lead actress 6 inches taller without shoes was distracting. It shouldn't be but it was to me. Not too mention Kenneth Branagh's accent was sort of cartoonish. The casting was just off. Then it had all the pressure of keeping cinema afloat at the height of covid. I think his heart was creatively in the right place but it felt like his worst effort to me.

Now granted I saw it 3 years ago in theaters and haven't revisited it. I may again soon. I do need to give it another chance. I might have more luck at home. The palindrome for a movie is a neat idea but he may have out smarted himself on it.

I am a Nolan mark so I'll be in theaters to watch Opprenheimer. Hopefully it's a return to form...at least I know it will be worth the price of admission for the spectacle.

I'd also say it's between TDKR and this for his weakest movie...but while I do think TDKR is the weakest of the trilogy and his filmography still...I think I just knew way too much about the making of TDKR going into it. The casting really ruined it. I've seen people react to it on YouTube and it's a much better experience going into it blind.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I'd also say it's between TDKR and this for his weakest movie...but while I do think TDKR is the weakest of the trilogy and his filmography still...I think I just knew way too much about the making of TDKR going into it. The casting really ruined it. I've seen people react to it on YouTube and it's a much better experience going into it blind.
I agree with you that TDKNR is the weakest film of the Batman trilogy, and am intrigued by your comment. What was it about the casting that ruined it for you? Did you feel like the people cast were not a good fit for their roles, and why?

A solid "R" and over 600 lbs of film stock. This guy is always doing stuff.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's a fascinating project. I've read several long books about the Manhattan Project and I can't imagine anybody other than Nolan making a movie out of it. It's a fascinating story of an event that really changed history. It needs science, politics and personalities.

It's a fascinating project. I've read several long books about the Manhattan Project and I can't imagine anybody other than Nolan making a movie out of it. It's a fascinating story of an event that really changed history. It needs science, politics and personalities.
Have you seen this?
Fat Man and Little Boy (1989)

Nolan should have named this Fat Man and Little Boy: A Love Story

It's been a while, but yeah. I recall Paul Newman as Leslie Groves, the US general in charge of the project, the guy who was suspicious of everybody and kept the scientific people focused on what was a military project, not an academic/scientific pursuit. I checked on IMDB and then recalled that the guy who played Oppenhiemer in that version (Dwight Schultz) was a guy local to me, who, before movies, was a somewhat regular stage actor in Baltimore theatrical productions. I'd seen him on live stage and met him a couple times early in his career.

....I checked on IMDB and then recalled that the guy who played Oppenhiemer in that version (Dwight Schultz) was a guy local to me, who, before movies, was a somewhat regular stage actor in Baltimore theatrical productions. I'd seen him on live stage and met him a couple times early in his career.
Oh freakin cool! I would've loved to seen Dwight Schultz on stage..and you meet him too, very cool was that at a performance or...?

I'm a big fan of Dwight Schultz, I think he's a dynamic character actor. I know him from Star Trek Next Gen, and some guest spots including one helluva performance on Babylon 5...and of course the movie Fatman and Littleboy which I'm rewatching before the countdown.

Oh freakin cool! I would've loved to seen Dwight Schultz on stage..and you meet him too, very cool was that at a performance or...?

I'm a big fan of Dwight Schultz, I think he's a dynamic character actor. I know him from Star Trek Next Gen, and some guest spots including one helluva performance on Babylon 5...and of course the movie Fatman and Littleboy which I'm rewatching before the countdown.
Schultz grew in the same area I lived in and attended college in what was Towson State College, now Towson University. I was later than him, but he returned and did some college production roles after he graduated. Towson State College had an excellent theater program and hired pros for a few roles in student productions, so that the undergrad actors got some experience working with people who were actual working actors. As a student, I attended their productions (I'm not an actor) which were often followed by a meet-and-greet with the cast members.

BKB
IMAX is giving Oppenheimer 3 weeks

Which has pissed off Tom Cruise because his MI film is only getting a week and half.
To be fair, I'm not really sure who Nolan's movie is aimed at when you consider what the movie is about and why they released this as a Summer movie just because Nolan's name is attached to this?? This seems more like a Fall type of movie and honestly, I'd be a little pissed too if I were Cruise seeing a movie like DEAD RECKONING taking a backseat to OPPENHEIMER on IMAX of all screens.. You don't need to see a movie like OPPENHEIMER on IMAX like you would for Tom Cruise and his elaborate stunts in IMAX..

A system of cells interlinked
I agree with you that TDKNR is the weakest film of the Batman trilogy, and am intrigued by your comment. What was it about the casting that ruined it for you? Did you feel like the people cast were not a good fit for their roles, and why?
After my first viewing, I absolutely would have agreed with you. Alas, watching it a second time knowing that...

WARNING: "Tenet" spoilers below
...the entire film is a temporal pincher, which is the name of the military mission they pull off at the end of the film...

...had the effect of slowing it all down and having it mostly all click into place, and I ended up enjoying it a lot more.

I still say he bit off more than he could chew with Tenet, but i liked it a lot more the second time, and it made a ton more sense.

Meanwhile, looking forward to seeing his latest at the Dolby Deluxe near me...