What Is The Most Disturbing Film?

Tools    

I found No Country for Old Men disturbing on the the first viewing.

Actually, the new Evil Dead was quite disturbing. It was actually pretty effective.

Anyone know what film this was?

I haven't seen the movie, but I recognized the story from having read (unfortunately) about the real incident, which you can read about about here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chri...L%C3%A9a_Papin

And this might be the movie they were talking about:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_My_Sister

Actually, the new Evil Dead was quite disturbing. It was actually pretty effective.
I've only a seen a few minutes of it. I kind of tuned out. I'm sure it's probably a fine film, but for me an Evil Dead movie has to have a particular feel. I don't know how one should make a gonzo Raimi low-budget horror slapstick movie with a real budget in present year.

I've only a seen a few minutes of it. I kind of tuned out. I'm sure it's probably a fine film, but for me an Evil Dead movie has to have a particular feel. I don't know how one should make a gonzo Raimi low-budget horror slapstick movie with a real budget in present year.

Do what The Thing prequel did (bear with me): use the CGI to recreate the effect of the original rather than trying to be a modern advancement. I heard that CGI is cheaper than puppetry.

[quote=Marcellus;36782]+Ring

+Schindler's List, especially disturbing watching it as a Jew.[/QUOTE*

Threads and Itchy the killer are the most disturbing in my opinion

American History X

Gone back to reading
For Christians it would be Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ, i can't think of anything so disturbing for myself that warrants notoriety, as i hated them so much.

Schindler's List, especially disturbing watching it as a Jew.

Hmm, I'll have convert and watch it again. Be back in a year or so.

That's some bad hat, Harry.
I've seen a fair few disturbing films over the years but I don't think there's one that left me feeling asphysically deflated and genuinely horrified than Eden Lake. That ending... OMG.

As others have pointed out: gross, shocking, gory, and disturbing are all different things. To me, Serbian Film and Human Centipede are just attempts to top the last gross-out movie. They're like film versions of the Aristocrats joke. There's nothing emotionally disturbing about it.

Exorcist and Hereditary are both up there for being genuinely disturbing. So is Inside.

I found the storytelling disturbing...

Hero gets killed three-quarters of the way through via circumstances not directly related to the story (if I remember correctly). It's as if Indiana Jones just ran into a hive of killer bees while in the jungle (in any of his movies) and dies unceremoniously thus ending his franchise.

Tommy Lee Jones ends his story arc by delivering a rambling soliloquy about life in his kitchen.

Bad guy drives away scot-free in a sports car.

Despite all that, it's not a bad film and definitely has it's moments.
And I do give it credit for not following the usual "thriller" formula.

I found the storytelling disturbing...

Hero gets killed three-quarters of the way through via circumstances not directly related to the story (if I remember correctly). It's as if Indiana Jones just ran into a hive of killer bees while in the jungle (in any of his movies) and dies unceremoniously thus ending his franchise.

Tommy Lee Jones ends his story arc by delivering a rambling soliloquy about life in his kitchen.

Bad guy drives away scot-free in a sports car.

Despite all that, it's not a bad film and definitely has it's moments.
And I do give it credit for not following the usual "thriller" formula.
Well, why would you expect a movie like No Country to end in a similar manner to Raiders in the first place?

Well, why would you expect a movie like No Country to end in a similar manner to Raiders in the first place?
I wouldn't.

My point was, it's unusual to just kill off the protagonist with circumstances unrelated to the main plot in the vast majority of movies no matter their genre. It's like if when Luke & Leia are swinging across a chasm on the Death Star and Leia is flung to the other side, but Luke's hand slips and he falls to his death... and the movie would then end shortly after with the Empire and it's Death Star moving off to terrorize the galaxy.

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Watched Leave The World Behind for the second time. I find it very disturbing. One of my favs from last year.

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
The scene with the Tesla car crashes is terrifying because it feels not so distant from reality

Watched Leave The World Behind for the second time. I find it very disturbing. One of my favs from last year.

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
The scene with the Tesla car crashes is terrifying because it feels not so distant from reality
I watched it quite recently. It is quite depressing, but I don’t know whether I would call it that disturbing in itself. I think I see films to do with (deprived) human behaviour to be truly disturbing, such as some of the ones mentioned earlier in this thread. Whereas in this one, well, most things are quite believable and even the neighbour who refuses to help isn’t ‘deprived’ after all, we all just make our choices I guess. The bit you’re referencing was quite good indeed, and definitely believable.

'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' has to be at or near the top of the list. To this day I get chills watching it.

'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' has to be at or near the top of the list. To this day I get chills watching it.
What always amazing me about that one is how little you actually see---it's all the power of imagination!