Movies everyone loves that you don't get?

Tools    

And Harrison Ford was ill-cast as a nebbish bureaucrat in Blade Runner. That role really should have gone to Hoffman (the part was written for him IIRC). And yet now people cannot imagine The Graduate without Hoffman or Blade Runner without Ford.

There is an emotional aspect to memory such that an image of a seems wrong to us if there is not a familiar "feeling" to it. See Capgras Delusion. How many of these people "feel" wrong for the part below?

And how much of this feeling has to do with "right" casting and how much of it has to do with our emotional connection with having "imprinted" on the version of the film we saw? It's a bit of both, but I am suspicious when people claim "Only X could have played that part!"
More Back to the Future screen tests...

For me, too, The Big Lebowski was a big disappointment. Not entirely without laughs, but so few as to be a waste of time. On the other hand, I thought Hail, Caesar! was hilarious.

Welcome to the human race...
You know what, I'll just mix it up and say The Revenant. Very superficial excuse for a modern classic.

Gladiator

It's been a long time since I've watched it so I don't have any specifics as to why I don't think it's that great, only going off my first and only impression of it - that's what everybody's been talking about? eh...

You can add me to the The Big Lebowski hate train also, the best thing about the movie really is when the credits start rolling knowing that I have finally got threw this dreadful boring and unfunny movie.

The Dark Knight - This movie was good but a masterpiece? nah it's just another retold story on how batman became batman, you know when we have to know how Bruce's parents die and Bruce becomes a vigilant crime fighter like we see in like 4 batman films now.

Annie Hall - Another boring and unfunny movie, I prefer When Harry Met Sally since there both movies about finding love.

I'll list more if I think of more movies

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Gladiator

It's been a long time since I've watched it so I don't have any specifics as to why I don't think it's that great, only going off my first and only impression of it - that's what everybody's been talking about? eh...
I remember this as excruciating long.

You know what, I'll just mix it up and say The Revenant. Very superficial excuse for a modern classic.

I have reflected on your remark and upon due consideration, endorse it.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, the accolades are all cinematography this and acting that but a) are either of those factors that good and b) even if they are, are they enough for compensate for an overlong and insubstantial story?

I don't know if everyone loves Donnie Darko but I had some friends that thought it was the most mystical thing ever. I didn't get it except for that the bunny suit was bizarre and the dark feeling throughout the movie gave it a horror feel but overall I couldn't understand why they were so enthralled with the flick.

I don't know if everyone loves Donnie Darko but I had some friends that thought it was the most mystical thing ever. I didn't get it except for that the bunny suit was bizarre and the dark feeling throughout the movie gave it a horror feel but overall I couldn't understand why they were so enthralled with the flick.
Like a lot of movies there was big buzz about DD when it first came out...now not so much. I was impressed with it myself and should probably watch again.

I suppose I could say that to flip this situation around those old friends would have probably been as confused about my enthusiasm and laughter for Napolean Dynamite but that was after they were gone, so I guess we were different when it came to movies.

I suppose I could say that to flip this situation around those old friends would have probably been as confused about my enthusiasm and laughter for Napolean Dynamite but that was after they were gone, so I guess we were different when it came to movies.
The first time I saw Napoleon Dynamite I had the same look on my face that Napoleon (John Heder) does throughout the film - I was dumbfounded. I was left trying to figure it out. Was is supposed to be funny? Was it supposed to not be funny? It has since grown to cult status in my mind and I now found it hilarious!

The first time I saw Napoleon Dynamite I had the same look on my face that Napoleon (John Heder) does throughout the film - I was dumbfounded. I was left trying to figure it out. Was is supposed to be funny? Was it supposed to not be funny? It has since grown to cult status in my mind and I now found it hilarious!
I was reminded of Naked Gun with Leslie Neilson, that Mr. Magoo wandering through oblivious and reacting to the characters with unknowing charm, unawares of his central role. Not the same but similar concept.

Di je Karlo?
Agreed. I can appreciate the atmosphere but it's not worth much without a good plot and characters to work with, and Darko falls short in these areas.

Never managed to finish this movie.

Agreed. I can appreciate the atmosphere but it's not worth much without a good plot and characters to work with, and Darko falls short in these areas.
When a theater major attempts to write a time travel story, this is what you get.

Di je Karlo?
When a theater major attempts to write a time travel story, this is what you get.
Dunno what theatre has to do with it, but Darko is a flick that tries too hard to blow your mind, and in trying ends up with a plot so contrived that none of the twists land the way they seem to want them to. You can't have plot twists in a plot that's already twisted out of shape.

Dunno what theatre has to do with it,
The lack of coherence, the bizarre physics, the ad hoc sociological requirements as disclosed, for example, in the "Philosophy of Time Travel" including an "ensurance trap" (the writing is wackadoo, that the plot has to be explained via the world's most implausible time travel book). It's "theater major" in the sense that the writer knows what he wants (the look, feel, tone, and outcomes) and is great at writing atmosphere and feel, but doesn't have the horsepower to work out the tangled knot of causality associated with time-travel (e.g., Primer).

but Darko is a flick that tries too hard to blow your mind, and in trying ends up with a plot so contrived that none of the twists land the way they seem to want them to. You can't have plot twists in a plot that's already twisted out of shape.
The more you overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.