Favorite Director Documentaries?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
There's so many, so I'll have to think about it before answering. I just saw one, a guy who isn't my favorite director, but it was still good (Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron).

Here's a few..
John Cassavetes - A Constant Forge, I'm Almost Not Crazy
Stanley Kubrick - A Life In Pictures
Orson Welles - Making of "The Trial" (talks a lot about other things)

The newly released documentary film De Palma has received positive reviews.

The newly released documentary film De Palma has received positive reviews.
I liked De Palma too...I think the Steven Spielberg and Robert Altman documentaries were a little too protective of their subjects. They concentrated too much on the director's triumphs. Not sure why, but when I watch a director documentary, I want to hear more about the director's failures, why the documentarians felt they failed and why the directors feel the films failed. That's a lot more interesting to me than just heaping praise on the directors' greatest hits.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Lost in LaMancha was a good one about Gilliam's first attempt to make The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Cave of Forgotten Dreams is absolutely astonishing.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams is absolutely astonishing.
It is indeed. But the post is looking for documentaries about filmmakers.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse and Burden of Dreams remain the gold standard for behind-the-scenes looks at obsessive directors and their processes (specifically Coppola making Apocalypse Now and Herzog making Fitzcarraldo) while the must-see mirror of that pair is Lost in LaMancha and Jodorowsky's Dune, two epic un-making-ofs (Terry Gilliam's The Man Who Killed Don Quixote and Alejandro Jodorowsky's crack at adapting Dune).

I don't actually wear pants.
I don't know if this fits what you want, but I've really enjoyed watching The Movies That Made Us on Netflix. It's not about one specific director, nor is it about one solitary film. It's a neat look at how some movies came to be. Granted I've only seen the first three episodes, but I think it's awesome and engaging.

'Vietnam' by Ken Burns. If you've never seen it I highly recommend it. I think it's a 10-part series. Definitely worth every minute.