Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

Fortress of War

Not a bad idea for a blind nom with an interesting story and solid IMDb score. I get a kick out of the title considering that Ed nominated The Flowers of War for something in the past. This wasn't a bad movie for the average viewer, but I think we are spoiled by being aware of and having seen the best of the best films from every country and every era. Not every film can measure up. It's made very competently, but not really to my taste as far as how it looks and the musical score. There is time taken to get to know individual characters, yet it never feels very personal. I feel like the movie lacks an identity. What saves it for me is that there are some real good moments scattered throughout the film, starting with the boy falling in the water after the first bomb. These scattered moments made the film worth watching.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Fortress of War

Not a bad idea for a blind nom with an interesting story and solid IMDb score. I get a kick out of the title considering that Ed nominated The Flowers of War for something in the past. This wasn't a bad movie for the average viewer, but I think we are spoiled by being aware of and having seen the best of the best films from every country and every era. Not every film can measure up. It's made very competently, but not really to my taste as far as how it looks and the musical score. There is time taken to get to know individual characters, yet it never feels very personal. I feel like the movie lacks an identity. What saves it for me is that there are some real good moments scattered throughout the film, starting with the boy falling in the water after the first bomb. These scattered moments made the film worth watching.
I think, maybe, it was War of Arrows??? no idea,
I agree there have been some stellar nominations here delving beyond the trenches into the effects of the war. Amazing stuff.

I'll be exploring it tonight.

I think, maybe, it was War of Arrows??? no idea,
I agree there have been some stellar nominations here delving beyond the trenches into the effects of the war. Amazing stuff.

I'll be exploring it tonight.
Didn't you nominate The Flowers of War for a HoF?

Current candidates to host the next round...

Paul Rudd
Paul Rudd
Paul Rudd

You guys have about 24 more hours to watch the film.

The trick is not minding
Fortress of War

The true story of Germany’s invasion of Russia, told from the point of view of a child at the Village of Brest, where Russian Soldiers, out numbered and severely lacking for food, water and rest, held out for several days. All of the action takes place in this specific Fortress, narrated by a young boy.

The film is technically decent, as is some of the more touching moments. But everything feels rather mechanical. We feel detached from the battle as we don’t really feel attached to the characters, with a few exceptions. There’s nothing really profound about it. It’s just a film meant to glorify and praise those who sacrificed for the defense of the Fortress.

Some decent battle scenes, some decent moments between some of the characters (the Father and daughter being reunited, although brief, is nice) there isn’t much meat here.

Fortress of War

The true story of Germany’s invasion of Russia, told from the point of view of a child at the Village of Brest, where Russian Soldiers, out numbered and severely lacking for food, water and rest, held out for several days. All of the action takes place in this specific Fortress, narrated by a young boy.

The film is technically decent, as is some of the more touching moments. But everything feels rather mechanical. We feel detached from the battle as we don’t really feel attached to the characters, with a few exceptions. There’s nothing really profound about it. It’s just a film meant to glorify and praise those who sacrificed for the defense of the Fortress.

Some decent battle scenes, some decent moments between some of the characters (the Father and daughter being reunited, although brief, is nice) there isn’t much meat here.
great lil write up.

I'm finishing up this afternoon in between house chores and will have a review this evening.

Brestskaya krepost aka Fortress of War (2010)

This is and was a basic Paint by Numbers idyllic town surprised attacked by overwhelming numbers without -- a godd@mn thing to fight back with, but d@mn how they to try. A common motif of Honor and Duty and Patriotism and the inevitable decimation. Nothing beyond the History that inspires or stays with you that would not get lost in the shuffle of his genre of similar films.

But still, the cinematography WAS quite well done in numerous scenarios, and I remained intrigued as well as involved in the film's outcome. For the families, Anya, the boy Sasha, I did cheer the Commissar, and the other two COs' determination and resourcefulness in an impossible situation.

My Blind Grab is nothing extraordinary, but for its purpose, it was still very much a worthwhile and entertaining War Story.

And now for something completely different….
It’s a comedy.
It’s short. (38 mins!)
It’s Chaplin.
It’s rarely spoken of
I'm happy to watch it, I always like Chaplin's films. I should mention it might not qualify for the war countdown ballots as Keyser's rules says no shorts and he recently said this:
The general consensus for a "short" is less than 40 minutes...
But hopefully he would allow it to count. Let's ask him @KeyserCorleone does Shoulder Arms (1918, Charlie Chaplin) qualify for the countdown?