What is the most boring movie ever made?

Tools    

Boring??? I've found a few movies boring:

Secrets & Lies (Mike Leigh 1996)

I loved the subject matter which was right up my alley. In fact I expected to like this. The two lead actresses were good too.

I hate to describe a film as boring but I was bored with Secret & Lies and that's the truth. Everything felt so artificial, so much like a daytime TV soap opera. There was barely 90 minutes of relevant story here, which leaves an additional 50 minutes of added padding. Hence part of the reason I was bored.

Rules Don't Apply
(Warren Betty 2016)

Warren Beatty playing Howard Hughes the mentally ill, reclusive billionaire was actually pretty good. I mean lets face it, Warren Beatty often comes across as a space-cadet and that's a perfect fit for Hughes. To bad the script was so boring or this might have worked.

Deepwater Horizon(Peter Berg 2016)

Remind me to never watch another Peter Berg directed movie!
after 47 minutes into the film we finally get to the action....I thought this is where the film gets good! Ha, the most boring action scenes I've seen, sure the fireballs were big, but true action comes from narrative, not CG...and thanks to the director's ADD style of video game editing, we don't have time to care about the workers on the oil platform.
What a crappy, crappy style of film making.

Black Sea (Kevin Macdonald 2014)

This was one of the most boring films I've seen. Every single shot is a close up, I could hardly tell what was going on. I mean, yes I know it's a sub and it has confined space...but the director/cinematographer who decided to use a plethora of extreme close ups in attempt to give a felling of confinement...should go back to film school.

The Lady in the Van(Nicholas Hytner 2015)

I was bored by this...and by all rights this should have been a film I loved. The story is right up my alley...with what would seem to be a quirky British film with a wonderful actresses and based on true life events. But gads! was this boring. I blame the boredom on a major disconnect from the characters on the screen.

...we experience the film from the writer's viewpoint and damn is he a muddling, boring character. I would say he's one dimensional, but the director went with the idea of having the actor play two version of himself. Because according to the film the writer is of two minds, both boring.

A system of cells interlinked
None of the greatest films of all time are mysteries that require the audience to think and deduce solutions. The best movies ask nothing of their audience and do all the thinking for them. Thats entertainment.
No.

I actually got old enough to engage with what I was watching I realized there is always something interesting happening in film. Always.
No films are boring.

They're all somewhat good.

Every film is needed,

in your neighborhood!

Every film is interesting.

Every film is great.

When a film's neglected,

Crumb gets quite irate!

This reminds me of an incident in college where a student and a teacher got into it...
When questioned about his attitude during class the student stated that the subject was "boring."
The teacher responded, "There's no such thing as a boring subject! Only boring people!"
The student muttered under his breath, "...and boring teachers."

I always remembered that!

Twilight sounds like a movie I would dread seeing.
I've seen a number of movies I wouldn't have bothered with except they were at the Drive-in. My boyfriend at the time loved going there. He loved it. It was pretty bad. The technology for viewing films was awful. I don't know what the projection method was but it was terrible. The movie on the screen always looked murky. I hated it. But, you know, compromise.

I've seen a number of movies I wouldn't have bothered with except they were at the Drive-in. My boyfriend at the time loved going there. He loved it. It was pretty bad. The technology for viewing films was awful. I don't know what the projection method was but it was terrible. The movie on the screen always looked murky. I hated it. But, you know, compromise.
There was a time when young men relied on the movies at the drive-in being boring, and the picture & sound being sub-par... ya know... because if the movie wasn't that fun to watch then the couple could find other things to do in the darkened interior of the car.

There was a time when young men relied on the movies at the drive-in being boring, and the picture & sound being sub-par... ya know... because if the movie wasn't that fun to watch then the couple could find other things to do in the darkened interior of the car.
Yes, I was a little kid when those kind of shenanigans went down. By the time, I was old enough to enjoy that our drive-in was a K-mart.

Above someone posted possibly the greatest litmus test for the idea of boredom in film. Empire is probably the most well known provocation towards an audience. It's deliberately meant to alienate. I don't even know if sitting through all eight hours of it is the point. I've never even heard of a single person known to have done it. Even John Waters bailed a few hours in. And I pretty much guarantee Andy Warhol (it's 'creator') never had the slightest intention of ever watching it, certainly not as a whole. Or maybe not even at all.
I watched it all

Forget equating greatness with not requiring thinking: equating not thinking with boredom seems completely backwards. Thinking and entertainment aren't opposites, they're closer to synonyms. Entertainment is basically anything that tickles your brain, for whatever reason. It can still be highbrow or lowbrow, complicated or simple, but that's basically what entertainment is.

Forget trying to deconstruct a logic puzzle or figure out a story's ambiguities or whatever, even the "does your thinking for you" story is good because it creates expectations (in other words, thoughts) and then sees them through. Or gives you pleasing patterns, pleasing because you can predict them. Or whatever. That's all thought.

All entertainment is happening in your mind, via thought. It can be because it creates an expectation and fulfills it, or subverts it, or creates an illusion of being present in a fantastical situation, or whatever. But all entertainment is based in making you think something.

To be more charitable, I think the distinction being attempted here is about challenging films versus everything else.

Every film out there, regardless of whether it contains ambiguity, has complex and intricate themes, contains hand-holding like a typical Nolan film, or is just a senseless action film, is going to ignite some kind of thinking on your part. Whether it's trying to analyze complex themes or just reacting to some ridiculous, over-the-top action, it's still going to require a bit of thinking on your end. You watch the films, you react to what you see onscreen, you come to conclusions based off of those reactions...that all requires thinking. For instance, if you find Bay's Transformers films to be nonsensical messes, some kind of thinking is going to be required for you to form that opinion. If they left you with nothing to think about, then you wouldn't be able to form any opinions on them at all.

This reminds me of an incident in college where a student and a teacher got into it...
When questioned about his attitude during class the student stated that the subject was "boring."
The teacher responded, "There's no such thing as a boring subject! Only boring people!"
The student muttered under his breath, "...and boring teachers."

I always remembered that!
The sad truth is that there are boring teachers and inert students. What happens when a bland force meets a disinterested object? "Education."

The questions is "What do we owe each other?" Relative to our present conversation the questions is, "What do we owe movies and what do movies owe us?" Any attempt to make the answer a one-way street is a mistake.

We owe the films a bit of goodwill and attention (at least, we do if we are to presume to publicly criticize them as "boring"). Films, however, also owe something to their audiences. It's a two-way street. Their is activity and responsibility on both sides. We should neither behave as tyrants who petulantly refuse to give stories a fair chance, but neither should we so pious that we blame ourselves for not getting it or liking it.

Hopefully, Warhol added a reward at the end for those like you who made it all the way through, such as showing King Kong climb to the top at the 7 hour and 50 minute mark. That seems like something he would do.

So how thrilling was it when the lights turned on after five hours?

Could it quality as a jump scare?

Also, you're insane. I've considered watching it a few times but....not really.

I also think Minio might be correct in saying the available version is actually an hour long portion of it on a loop. So, if you saw the lights turn on eight separate times, you probably watched that which mean.....you have to find the original copy and start all over again from scratch.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
None of the greatest films of all time are mysteries that require the audience to think and deduce solutions.
Because the most extraordinary mysteries are unsolvable. Think about it: There's some fun, a challenge maybe, when there's a case you have to solve. Suppose you solve it quicker than the main character, good for you. If not, you will at least have it solved by the time the protagonist has. And the mystery is gone. And with the mystery gone is the engagement. In hindsight, a solvable mystery is always a weak one. But an unsolvable one, a mystery you still cannot untangle, stays an enigma forever. And that spikes interest. Because people want to know what's going on. They want a logical explanation for everything. If there's no such thing, the enigma makes the whole thing better. Not understanding increases pleasure.
The best movies ask nothing of their audience and do all the thinking for them. Thats entertainment.
I disagree that:
  • Best movies are those that ask nothing of their audience. Quite the contrary, the best movies are usually those that ask a lot of their audience. Understanding, another way of looking at the world, cinematic knowledge, a good palate, patience, humanity, purity, and so on.
  • The best movies do all the thinking for their audience. Look, it's not like a film that doesn't make you think is automatically a bad film. But every great film makes you think a lot. Even if only about that very film in particular.
  • That to be entertaining (and best), a movie needs to fulfill the two above conditions. Well, it's just plain wrong. The best movies ask a lot of their audience and require a lot of thinking. Or at least a good taste.

Nevertheless, I do agree that:
  • Some entertaining movies that do not make you think are better than some other thinking-man's movies for Sunday movie watches. I'd take Godzilla: Final Wars over any Nolan film anytime.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Dude, are you a masochist? Were you high? If so, what did you take? Was this done in the comfort of your own home? And my main question is, why?

Dude, are you a masochist? Were you high? If so, what did you take? Was this done in the comfort of your own home? And my main question is, why?
I think this is the sort of film that the angels from Prophecy would really dig.

So how thrilling was it when the lights turned on after five hours?

Could it quality as a jump scare?

Also, you're insane. I've considered watching it a few times but....not really.

I also think Minio might be correct in saying the available version is actually an hour long portion of it on a loop. So, if you saw the lights turn on eight separate times, you probably watched that which mean.....you have to find the original copy and start all over again from scratch.
With the version I watched, it took about 90 minutes to get to nighttime and the lights didn't turn off until the final hour of the film, so I'm pretty sure I watched the full version. If it's the wrong version though, I guess I'll have to rewatch it.

I want to be like Mr. Beast (here's hoping someone else gets that reference).

Actually, I'm a completionist when it comes to movie lists, so since it was on a movie list I was using, I decided to go for it.