Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

I wrote this just a week ago:

Seen this one twice and it's well worth watching. Based on the novel by James Clavell who was a prisoner of war in Java during WWII and based the movie on his experiences. George Segal knocks this one out of the ball park and is perfectly cast as the black market dealer in just about anything the pow inmates could want. It's an intelligent script, fast moving enough to keep one's attention and we see a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect to see and didn't see in The Bridge over the River Kwai. King Rat is more on the serious side and yet it nails humanity and personalities quite well. Really enjoyed this one.

Sorry you didn't like it SpelingError I had a hunch you might not. I think out taste in movies are very different. I know you said you like a movie that you feel emotionally and that for you acting isn't that important. Myself I'm very much in tune with acting and that's what elevated King Rat for me. I think from your choices in HoFs you might levitate towards films that are more symbolic or metaphoric. I usually like films that are mores slices of life, like the proverbial 'fly on the wall' view point.

Cricket, now I thought you might like King Rat and glad you did, my wife really likes this film (except the dog part). I'm currently watching the old Family Feud every night on Freevee/Roku and it's hosted by Richard Dawson so it was a blast for me to see him at the end. When I read the IMDB description:'Fast-talking wheeler-dealer Corporal King is stuck in a Malaysian P.O.W. camp during World War II and uses bribery and larceny to take de-facto control of the camp.' IMDB I expected George Segal's character to be a mean son of a bitch tyrant, but that's not what he was. As the film went on I liked his character and the character of the British officer who jointed him. I guess it's the little moments in the film that I responded to...like when Segal serves the British officer scrambled eggs as he says 'not bad' and there's a whole block of dialogue about how the British describe things they like. I guess why I liked it so much is that I believed everything I seen as if it really was happening. Often I don't believe what I see on the screen which then makes it hard for me to engage with a movie.

I hope we get some more people in here to watch the war films, I enjoy this and we've had some solid films.

I wrote this just a week ago:
[center][left] Sorry you didn't like it SpelingError I had a hunch you might not. I think out taste in movies are very different. I know you said you like a movie that you feel emotionally and that for you acting isn't that important. Myself I'm very much in tune with acting and that's what elevated King Rat for me. I think from your choices in HoFs you might levitate towards films that are more symbolic or metaphoric. I usually like films that are mores slices of life, like the proverbial 'fly on the wall' view point.
For what it's worth, I'd give it somewhere between a 6 or a 5/10, so I didn't necessarily dislike it per se. I was just left cold by it.

Also, here are my current favorites. There are about a dozen films I need to revisit, but this should give you a good idea of what my taste in film is:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls076013878/

For what it's worth, I'd give it somewhere between a 6 or a 5/10, so I didn't necessarily dislike it per se. I was just left cold by it.

Also, here are my current favorites. There are about a dozen films I need to revisit, but this should give you a good idea of what my taste in film is:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls076013878/
That's a very strong list you have. Of the films I've seen from your list I think very highly of most of them. Of course some I haven't seen.

I would say that my overall impression that your taste runs towards emotionally symbolic or metaphor films seems to hold true by that list. Not all of them of course...and metaphoric or symbolic films are some of the greatest movies ever made! I can like them too, just that they don't always work for me and ironically what doesn't work is that they can at time leave me feeling cold, like looking at a painting in an art museum and appreciating the technique but not feeling moved by it.

I see Stalker is on your list and I'd rate that a 5/5 it's amazing, but I bet what resonates with me with Stalker isn't what resonates with you. Do you mind telling me what about Stalker resonates most with you? Just the one main thing, not all the reasons why it's great.

I see Stalker is on your list and I'd rate that a 5/5 it's amazing, but I bet what resonates with me with Stalker isn't what resonates with you. Do you mind telling me what about Stalker resonates most with you? Just the one main thing, not all the reasons why it's great.
Mainly the acting. I generally dig acting in films...jk

In short, my main takeaway with the film is how it builds up the Zone as a utopia in the first act, but the closer the characters get to the room at the center of it, the more the film begins to reveal the darker undertones and consequences towards the room, in addition to the negative effects it had on the prior characters who came to/were affected by it. Also, the final shot is about as great a culmination to these themes which I could've asked for.

Mainly the acting. I generally dig acting in films...jk

In short, my main takeaway with the film is how it builds up the Zone as a utopia in the first act, but the closer the characters get to the room at the center of it, the more the film begins to reveal the darker undertones and consequences towards the room, in addition to the negative effects it had on the prior characters who came to/were affected by it. Also, the final shot is about as great a culmination to these themes which I could've asked for.
I see, thanks. Those are all great elements of the film. For me what resonated most was the perception of how the law physics could change in the zone along with its underlying mystery. Once they got into the room with the phone I wasn't as interested. That's not to say the rest of the film wasn't great too. But I guess what I really wanted to see was the journey itself and I wasn't as tuned into the last scenes. Come to think of it Solaris has a similar end scene and as much as I like that movie its the more conventional scenes that resonate with me. I'm just a conventional type guy I guess

Forgot to post it last night, but you guys have till the end of today to watch the film. Current candidates to host the next round:

SpelingError
cricket

Not sure how long this thread will last at this rate, tbh, but I'll keep it going for the time being. Hopefully, it picks up soon.

I’ll keep watching as well. It’s just that the last two selections weren’t available to me.
If you need help finding them, you could reach out to me. For instance, I posted the Red Angel link in this thread from several days ago.

The trick is not minding
If you need help finding them, you could reach out to me. For instance, I posted the Red Angel link in this thread from several days ago.
And as I mentioned before, my laptop battery died so I can’t watch it on my laptop as I normally would have.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Finished King Rat. Quite enjoyed it and will get a review up tonight or tomorrow.

And as I mentioned before, my laptop battery died so I can’t watch it on my laptop as I normally would have.
Do you have an AC power adapter for the laptop? If not you can buy those and replacement batteries dirt cheap on Amazon and Ebay.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Sent my nom in to Speling. It's Russian and on our favorite Russian Streaming Site.
Also, since I wanted to find something that few heard of this is a blind grab but looks highly worthwhile.