Post some of your favorite/craziest memories of the IMDb forums!

Tools    

As we all know, brainless corporate crackpots over at the IMDb shut down all of their message boards for no reason whatsoever--post some of your favorite memories of their message boards, some egregious things you ran into perhaps, just anything that comes to mind! thanks.

IAN

I didn't really post on IMDB boards, they were far too caustic, though occasionally I read the board for individual movies.

The funniest thing I've seen on the internet in 25 years of posting was a thread on IMDB called something like 'Quotes from The Warriors (1979) not to say during sex'...which is just about any line from that movie! Like this:

"Why don’t you just tie a mattress to your back?"

Gosh I wish I could find that thread again....can you dig it?

I remember making several lists under the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen discussion board of additional characters for additional teams... taking up on the same idea that Alan Moore had presented (using famous literary characters from the Victorian era) in his original comics that inspired the movie.

I suggested such characters as Dorothy Gale (from the Wizard of Oz), Mowgli (from the Jungle Book), Franz Robinson (youngest son of the Swiss Family Robinson), Wendy Darling (from Peter Pan), "Tiny" Tim Cratchit (from A Christmas Carroll). All these characters would have been slightly older than in their original writings to join the team = young adult aged.

It became a regular thing to come up with new teams that fit certain ages... such as the Pulp-era teams of the early 1900's - 1930's.

I liked IMDB. I was there for years. One memory I have is that one or two people here didn’t like it much when we IMDB people came over here. Guess they’re used to us now.

I liked IMDB. I was there for years. One memory I have is that one or two people here didn’t like it much when we IMDB people came over here. Guess they’re used to us now.
We're now all one people.

Although I sometimes participated on IMDB, I actually immigrated here from eBay discussion boards (hey, you guys can blame Citizen Rules and GBG for that)!

We're now all one people.

Although I sometimes participated on IMDB, I actually immigrated here from eBay discussion boards (hey, you guys can blame Citizen Rules and GBG for that)!
Ebay has discussion boards?

Hahaha thank you so much for answering, man! I knew starting this thread would elicit some funny stuff. *tips hat*

I didn't really post on IMDB boards, they were far too caustic, though occasionally I read the board for individual movies.

The funniest thing I've seen on the internet in 25 years of posting was a thread on IMDB called something like 'Quotes from The Warriors (1979) not to say during sex'...which is just about any line from that movie! Like this:

I hope everyone else reads this post as well, but if you want to find your old posts on the IMDb, this site filmboards.com fortunately has quite a few of the old posts, which is truly amazing! as I myself have been able to find a lot of my old stuff etc. "Check it out!" to quote the grinning caretaker of the entire Internet....

I hope everyone else reads this post as well, but if you want to find your old posts on the IMDb, this site filmboards.com fortunately has quite a few of the old posts, which is truly amazing! as I myself have been able to find a lot of my old stuff etc. "Check it out!" to quote the grinning caretaker of the entire Internet....
Thanks. I'd looked at the site before and went through all the discussions for The Warriors (1979) but sadly the discussion I was looking for wasn't there. It must be indexed somewhere on the internet?

What I remember is at first everyone seemed cool when the IMDB refuges came here.. but some of them were defensive & feisty and arguing broke out. Those IMDB people didn't stick around, but the rest were cool and well liked.

This thread started out well intentioned but somewhere down the line it got heated: IMDB Assimilation

I remember on the imdb boards, we had board awards on certain boards. There was a vote and I was named the nicest poster on the religion board. Not everyone liked me though. I remember there were a couple nasty characters there who would pick fights and insult people. I remember my first call out thread someone did against me. It got pretty wild there sometimes, but I am happy to be here on a more civilised and friendlier board.

I forgot the opening line.

That sounds like so much fun, I couldn't resist :

Quotes from The Warriors (1979) not to say during sex :

"I'll shove that bat up your a*s and turn you into a popsicle."

"This is what we fought all night to get back to?"

"Wait a minute. I can't go in there. It's a men's room."

"Don't call me no whore. I ain't no whore!"

"Hey, what about the money you owe?"

"The sooner someone grabs 'em, the better."

"We can do some lookin' too... Oughta make you feel better."

"Oh, you'll get it. But I like it rough!"

"Why don't you look around and make sure we're okay."

"Should have slapped your mouth the moment you opened it!"

"Hey, what about me?"

"Why don't you just tie a mattress to your back?"

"So far nothin'"

"This whole thing stinks."

Some of them, for some people, are absolutely the right things to say. It probably can't make up for that lost moment though - nothing is as funny the second time around.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Thank you all for chiming in, I'm loving this! hahahahaha

I never used the IMDb forums. I was busy posting at the RT forums instead.
Yeah, IMDb seemed to be movie-specific in terms of organization. RT had general discussion and off-topic options that allowed for more wide-ranging conversations. If you, for example, were interested in a cinematic technique rather than just one film in which you saw it, RT was a better place to go. And then there was the revelation of the "people under the stairs" in the weird RT sub-forums which were movie-review only which got shut down, pushing users into the main forums. We spent years posting without realizing there was a parallel universe on the same site.

Modern forums are more "message in a bottle" or "slow conversation in a dive bar." I remember when old-school BBS systems would move as fast as a Discord server and it was hard to get your comment in before things moved on.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Never posted there. I didn't even realize they had a message board, in fact. Then again, I suppose I didn't care about it. As a personal policy, I don't usually register and post on websites with forums and prefer to frequent sites where the primary purpose is to be a forum. I find that it makes it much less likely for them to be shut down or see my posts / existence on their website as expendable.

Yeah, IMDb seemed to be movie-specific in terms of organization. RT had general discussion and off-topic options that allowed for more wide-ranging conversations. If you, for example, were interested in a cinematic technique rather than just one film in which you saw it, RT was a better place to go. And then there was the revelation of the "people under the stairs" in the weird RT sub-forums which were movie-review only which got shut down, pushing users into the main forums. We spent years posting without realizing there was a parallel universe on the same site.

Modern forums are more "message in a bottle" or "slow conversation in a dive bar." I remember when old-school BBS systems would move as fast as a Discord server and it was hard to get your comment in before things moved on.
I think I was the only active user who started posting in the sub-forums before discovering the main forum. The sub-forums were alright though. It was just very difficult to keep track of your posts and it wasn't uncommon for people to reply to you after several months without you likely ever knowing about it.

The thing IMDB had going for it other than sheer size was the per-movie thing, so you could watch a movie and see if people had theories, or explanations, or whatever, any time you had a weird thought or question.

We sorta-kinda aped that, in that our movie pages have the ability to create little threads "on" that page (and I have the ability to "link" existing threads so they show up on them, too). I don't push the feature too hard, but it's there.