95th Oscars: Some Deserved Better

Tools    

The trick is not minding
For those who don't know she died of a mysterious illness and because her illness is mysterious and vaccines have become politicized the gutless people in Hollywood have basically blacklisted and buried this woman's spectacular performance.

They could have taken a minute to pay tribute to this woman who was once again the star of a BP film but in it's place we got an add for The Little Mermaid.
Her death is no mystery, man. She died of sepsis related to some infection and has nothing to do with vaccines or any refusal to take vaccines. She got sick and died pretty fast.
You’re politicizing her death.

Her death is no mystery, man. She died of sepsis related to some infection and has nothing to do with vaccines or any refusal to take vaccines. She got sick and died pretty fast.
You’re politicizing her death.

It took four months to claim she died of a rare infection. So explain why she was snubbed from the in memoriam package?

The trick is not minding
It took four months to claim she died of a rare infection. So explain why she was snubbed from the in memoriam package?
First, it was no claim. It was the result. There’s a difference.
Second, neither you nor I can discern their reasoning for leaving her out, and assuming it is political without one iota of proof, other then to continue with your usual narrative, is irresponsible.

I forgot the opening line.
Charlbi died of Sepsis, so the more probable reason for her snub is the fact that she didn't have much stature in the industry yet - I predict this is going to be a yearly "outrage" thing from now on out. Who was snubbed. "It's an outrage!" - looks like the Oscars are just going to have to mention absolutely everyone in their segments to prevent said outrage, something I'm pretty tired of from all sides of the debate. There's an agenda in every outrage - and absolutely no feeling for the various people involved that have passed on.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

What are people's feelings about this?

Personally, I think after a person dies they should be remembered for the good things they did, and for celebrities that means the movies they helped make or the entertainment they provided no matter what may have gone on in their personal lives.

The idea of snubbing someone for their political beliefs is outrageous (if that indeed happened).

Someone would have to have been convicted of doing something really awful for me to feel they must be omitted completely from a memorial after they've died.
I completely agree. Plus, if liberal actors are allowed and even cheered on to speak about political issues during speeches and things like that, why are conservatives shunned or "cancelled" if they make a peep? They are opinions, and liberals and conservatives are about half-and-half in this country (give or take), so they can't expect everyone watching, let alone everyone in the crowd, to actually whole-heartedly agree with them. I think it's a terrible idea for actors to voice their opinions publicly; all it could do is make them lose fans. I don't let it affect my movie choices, though. I care more about my entertainment than not supporting a certain person because of their beliefs!

If some people were intentionally left out for these reasons, that is very disrespectful to their lives and legacies, as well as their families. It shows that their unpopular beliefs are more significant than their gift to the film world.

The truth is in here
I do find it absurd Paul Sorvino and Anne Heche were left out. Paul Sorvino was a fine actor who left a huge imprint on the film and TV world, and Anne Heche was an actor who certainly did enough to at least deserve being mentioned (She was in Donnie Brasco for God's sake!). Tom Sizemore died very recently, so maybe they wouldn't have time to edit him in. But leaving these two out is inexcusable.

I don't think Sorvino was even that vocal about his politics. I didn't know he was conservative until it was mentioned on here.

I do find it absurd Paul Sorvino and Anne Heche were left out. Paul Sorvino was a fine actor who left a huge imprint on the film and TV world, and Anne Heche was an actor who certainly did enough to at least deserve being mentioned (She was in Donnie Brasco for God's sake!). Tom Sizemore died very recently, so maybe they wouldn't have time to edit him in. But leaving these two out is inexcusable.

I don't think Sorvino was even that vocal about his politics. I didn't know he was conservative until it was mentioned on here.
Same here - I had no idea about Sorvino's private life or the idea that he leaned conservative until I heard his wife say so on a radio interview as she guessed that was the reason he was left out. If Paul Sorvino was ever vocal about politics, neither I nor most of the world were aware of it.

I think it's grossly unfair to assume that Paul Sorvino being left out of the "In Memoriam" segment was politically motivated. There just isn't any evidence of that that has been demonstrated, and while I feel for the family, who may be searching for an explanation for something that happened that feels wrong, it's irresponsible for them to make such an allegation without evidence.

I think it's grossly unfair to assume that Paul Sorvino being left out of the "In Memoriam" segment was politically motivated. There just isn't any evidence of that that has been demonstrated, and while I feel for the family, who may be searching for an explanation for something that happened that feels wrong, it's irresponsible for them to make such an allegation without evidence.
True. I'm just reporting what his family said on an interview.
Of course they are biased toward their loved one, but they felt Paul had had too big an impact to just be the victim of a simple oversight, so they are obviously contributing the omission to some sort of prejudice.

I completely agree. Plus, if liberal actors are allowed and even cheered on to speak about political issues during speeches and things like that, why are conservatives shunned or "cancelled" if they make a peep? They are opinions, and liberals and conservatives are about half-and-half in this country (give or take), so they can't expect everyone watching, let alone everyone in the crowd, to actually whole-heartedly agree with them. I think it's a terrible idea for actors to voice their opinions publicly; all it could do is make them lose fans. I don't let it affect my movie choices, though. I care more about my entertainment than not supporting a certain person because of their beliefs!

If some people were intentionally left out for these reasons, that is very disrespectful to their lives and legacies, as well as their families. It shows that their unpopular beliefs are more significant than their gift to the film world.
Jane, you may move your chair to the head of the class...

I personally think it's sad that certain people were omitted but I've seen this more and more in the past few years. While I haven't watched an entire Academy Awards ceremony for years, this time around I came in on it about an hour into the broadcast, and I wasn't too bored. Didn't like Kimmel at all. I don't think he's funny at all but that's just my personal vibe. But back to watching the show: even though I rarely watch them anymore, I try to watch the In Memorial the next day on YouTube at the very least. And I've noticed that they are very loose as to how it's shown: It seems like they focus on the singer or instrumentalist and forget sometimes that viewers from home can't see the onstage screen, and oftentimes in the past they've made us miss a few pictures of people by cutting back too slow to the screen. I just feel that they'd rather subject the viewer to lame comedy or boring musical numbers than the In Memorial or make extra time for Oscar speeches. That's kind of always been the way at these particular awards.

As an alternative, I'd suggest going to YouTube and watching the TCM In Memoriam as they generally attempt to cover more people who have passed away. Even if it's passed whatever cutoff date they may have instituted for the Oscars, there's usually an individual memorial for those overlooked, and they include scenes from that performers films. Just a heads-up.

All that being said and apropos of nothing said previously:

As an alternative, I'd suggest going to YouTube and watching the TCM In Memoriam as they generally attempt to cover more people who have passed away. Even if it's passed whatever cutoff date they may have instituted for the Oscars, there's usually an individual memorial for those overlooked, and they include scenes from that performers films. Just a heads-up.

All that being said and apropos of nothing said previously:

People have always been omitted, it's just that now it has to be someones fault and there HAS to be a reason for it other than, they just were.

God this aspect of society is so depressing.

People have always been omitted, it's just that now it has to be someones fault and there HAS to be a reason for it other than, they just were.

Quoted for truth!

Why are they omitted? Simple human error?

(When you have groups of editors working on a project; there to do the research, compile the data, and catch each other's mistakes, then omissions due to oversight have to be someone's fault or the fault of the team as a whole.)

Yet, if the star is "big" enough (has most notoriety or is most important to the studios) those errors don't seem to happen. Why is that? Is it another case of "it's not what you know it's WHO you know"? Or, in this case, it's not what is known but WHO is most well known?

P.S. Who is the biggest star that's ever been left out of the memoriams?

I just now read this:
Yes.
I'm hoping the reason is that anyone who died in 2023 will be included in next year's memoriam?

The same may go for Chaim Topol who died March 8, 2023 (known maybe not so much for Flash Gordon, but for Fiddler On The Roof - the musical that set him in stage & motion picture history).

Tony Sirico (not a huge star, but hugely known as a member of the Sopranos cast) was not mentioned.
Along with Tom Sizemore, Anne Heche, Leslie Jordan, and Ignacio López Tarso, among others already mentioned on this thread that were overlooked.

IMO the reasons some actors were left out of the Oscar's memorial TV segment was:

There were too many to be all included in a 3 hour show. If the Oscars were longer than 3 hours they could include everyone but two problems with that: The Oscars are a money making entertainment show that generates income by selling valuable commercial time. If they were 3.5 or 4 hours long the number of people watching would drop and they would have to pay more for network time, hence the need to limit the show to 3 hours. With 3 hours that can't cover all the awards given and can't honor all the people in the industry who died. The Academy issued this statement:
A spokesperson for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences released a statement amid the backlash.
"The Academy receives hundreds of requests to include loved ones and industry colleagues in the Oscars In Memoriam segment. An executive committee representing every branch considers the list and makes selections for the telecast based on limited available time. All the submissions are included on A.frame and will remain on the site throughout the year."

In the case of Cindy Williams and some others, I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy felt they made their marks mainly on TV and so would be better honored at the Emmys. Others might have been left out as it was felt the majority of TV viewers wouldn't have known who these people were. At any rate I don't care much and I'm not interested in the Oscars.