Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

RUNNING SCARED
(1986, Hyams)

Ray: "I think it's awfully sad to be talking about quittin'. It might look like we're scared."
Danny: "We're not scared. We're smart!"

Running Scared follows Costanzo and his partner, Ray (Gregory Hines) as they try to track down dangerous drug lord, Julio Gonzales (Jimmy Smits). However, after the cops survive a shootout during a raid on a gun shipment for Gonzales, the two start to question their careers and start thinking about retiring early and opening a bar in Florida.

The thing that works about this film is that Hines and Crystal have an undeniable chemistry. Their banter is funny, cool, and infectious. You can also feel there's a dose of Crystal's ad-libbing, but it works perfectly. The film has a good dose of solid one-liners, and the supporting cast (that includes Joe Pantoliano and Dan Hedaya, among others) is pretty good.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

No idea why The NY Times considered this movie to be worth watching.

The opening scenes of this Romanian movie were of a married couple (at least married in the movie) engaging in unsimulated anal sex. So I will always have a picture of this in my head.

I did finish the movie, but it was strange all the way through.
Oh my god! Now I have to watch it just to see what the fuss was about.

Oh my god! Now I have to watch it just to see what the fuss was about.
The sacrifices we do for cinema

I forgot the opening line.
Our elementary school in England had a vicious teacher. Especially with the boys. He frequently threw things. Once a blackboard eraser at my head for “dreaming”.

This teacher also had a crush on one little girl in my grade. She was called Stella & he was enchanted by her.
Ech! Sounds like he was a creep. Shouldn't have been teaching.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=69558144

The Northman - (2022)

Another reminder for me that being born in this era, and in this geographical location, is like winning a lottery - whenever I watch a movie featuring Vikings I'm reminded of how much pain (both physical and psychological) was wrought in those days of old - and a lot of it is delivered by Amleth (Alexander Skarsgĺrd) in his quest to avenge his father's death. Robert Eggers, being a former production designer, fills his films with so many historical details they seem to outdo others of a similar ilk - and that's a notable part of The Northman, with it's grand locations, and plethora of fascinating art and design. I thought it was good, and I enjoyed it - I'm a big fan of Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe, but it's a shame they depart the film so early. The story is your typical twisted revenge-fest, with ceremonies and beliefs straight from long ago cultures - you'll feel like you've travelled back in time.

7/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=11664509

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - (1999)

The first Austin Powers movie surprised me, and I loved it, so I actually went to the movies to see the second expecting a good time. After it finished I was furious, and felt duped. I was angry because 70% of The Spy Who Shagged Me features the same jokes from the first Austin Powers film, simply repeated here. I wasn't laughing. I thought it was lazy, and that if Myers and co didn't have enough new material for a new film they should have held off for another 6-12 months to freshen it up. I watched it again yesterday, for the first time in 23 years or so - and I felt exactly the same way.

4/10

Hey, haven't posted here since last July. Let's fix that.

Everything Everywhere All At Once -

To Be Or Not To Be (1942) -

The Name Of The Rose -
or

Written On The Wind -

The Celebration -

Point Break -

Pink Flamingos - (Not sure what to rate this. I don't regret watching it, though.)
Moonage Daydream -

Misery -

The Witch -

Lost Highway -

Trick r' Treat -

Repo Man -

Daisies -

La Strada -

WALL-E -

The Cameraman -

Breathless -

Gremlins 2: The New Batch -

Citizen Kane -

It Happened One Night -

RRR -
or

Police Story 3: Supercop -

Phantom Thread -

The 400 Blows -

For All Mankind -
or

This is my favorite one. This movie is absolutely beautiful. Cinematography - stunning. Acting - so smart, so subtle. One of the best romances I've ever seen. Such an accurate portrayal of two people who are attracted to each other no matter what the circumstances. The tension is very well done. Love is not a game, they cherish each other. Also, the fact that they never kissed is so sweet.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This teacher also had a crush on one little girl in my grade. She was called Stella & he was enchanted by her.
How old was she?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

This is my favorite one. This movie is absolutely beautiful. Cinematography - stunning. Acting - so smart, so subtle. One of the best romances I've ever seen. Such an accurate portrayal of two people who are attracted to each other no matter what the circumstances. The tension is very well done. Love is not a game, they cherish each other. Also, the fact that they never kissed is so sweet.
What is the title of this movie?

By It is believed that the cover art can or could be obtained from the publisher or studio., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10797064

Fletch - (1985)

There are a few unseen films in life which just turn you off, and you don't really understand why if you sit down and try to reason the matter. Fletch has always been around me - at video shops, on sale and in sequels (well, a sequel.) I wasn't interested. I wasn't completely anti-Chevy Chase - I'd loved him in Three Amigos and Vacation - but I couldn't stomach Fletch for some reason, Chase or no Chase. No matter your views on him personally, he had a knack as a comedian though. Well, I finally decided to check Fletch out, and I reckon if I'd watched it back in the 80s I would have really liked it. There's a steady flow of comedic moments that really work well, and Chase is in absolute top form. There's a decent neo-noir plot (it has a novel to thank for that I think) - and I can't help wonder if fans of the character in literature hated the fact that Chase and co were heightening the comedy to the extent they did. Anyway, I enjoyed it and in doing so it's softened my stance on the comedian a little.

7/10

By © The Ignition Print - Impawards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15155543

Vacancy - (2007)

This was a quick 82 minute horror/thriller with a great set-up and suspense. It revolves around a motel that murders people who stay there, and records the gruesome killings so the results can be sold as snuff films. It's working at it's absolute best when David Fox (Luke Wilson) and Amy Fox (Kate Beckinsale) first discover the tapes and watch the grueling and scary contents - realising that they're next. It can't quite sustain that freaky tone throughout - but it has enough going for it to be a recommendation for fans of the genre.

6/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=13825265

Nicotina - (2003)

This low budget Mexican film takes a lot of inspiration from Guy Ritchie's gangster films and Quentin Tarantino amongst others. You notice this when there are scenes featuring highlighted trivial banter - and when serious can suddenly become slapstick and then change back moment by moment. I was put off a little by how cheap it was at first, but this won 6 Ariels (Mexican Film Awards) for a reason - it's a nice little tangle of fate and circumstance and entertains, with a young Diego Luna featuring as a peeping tom who gets discovered, has his bank-stealing information swapped and thus gets into big trouble with Russian gangsters - leading to a chaotic game of cat and mouse. I liked this.

6/10

By Derived from a digital capture (photo/scan) of the Film Poster/ VHS or DVD Cover Copyright held by the film company or the artist. Claimed as fair use regardless., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=36454339

The Forgiveness of Blood - (2011)

Albanian film (I don't see many of those) The Forgiveness of Blood gives you something of an education as to how their society still follows along codes which dictate how a family should behave when a serious crime has been committed - quite separate to the legal ramifications. Nik (Tristan Halilaj) has a father who has stabbed and murdered his neighbour - who he has been feuding with. This means that all the male members of the family must stay in their house, for there's a blood debt now and there are almost religiously guided rules and regulations as to how things should be mediated and negotiated. This can take years - and poor Nik is 17, on the verge of having his first serious girlfriend. The fact that he's housebound leads to conflict with his own family, and desperate attempts to solve the impasse. This film was a little slow, but interesting in how you get a sense of Albanian culture and their unique lifestyle.

6/10

Carmen Jones (1954) -

I've enjoyed what I've seen from Preminger so far, but after watching this film, I'm not sure that musicals are his strong suit. While I enjoyed the songs in this film quite a bit and appreciated the contrast between the classical melodies from the opera and the updated 50's dialogue, the camerawork for the musical numbers really sinks their potential like a rock. With so many of them shot with a static close-up shot (not to mention the dubbing, even if I wasn't as bothered by it as some people were), the musical numbers come off as rigid and lacking in the energy which my favorite musicals have in spades. Fortunately, the rest of the film contains enough potential to make up for this. With an entirely black cast and a depiction of a strong, sexually liberated female lead, this film broke boundaries when it was released and it contains enough content atypical of the era which makes it an essential watch. While both Joe and Carmen aren't always likable, the film refuses to outright demonize one of them and at least sympathizes with both of them to a certain extent. For instance, while Carmen undoubtedly acts as a tramp, her character is also developed enough so that you can at least understand her desire to be around the various characters in the film. While most other directors I'm familiar with from the era likely would've looked down upon her if they were handed this film, Preminger shows a clear respect for her freedom. With Joe, while he's the butt of her behavior and later attempts to thwart her efforts, his mental state throughout the film is made as clear as day. Just as you can understand Carmen's desire of sexual freedom, you can simultaneously understand Joe's wish to remain by her side. As a result, a sense of fatalism runs throughout their relationship and slowly pushes them both towards an inevitable outcome. Overall, the boldness of its themes is its main selling point and, though it has its flaws, it still remains as one of the essential musicals of the 50's.

What is the title of this movie?
Pride & Prejudice 2005

Bailed out of this first time around, but managed to finish it today. Himish Patel very talented. Sweet movie. Loved the songs. Natch.

Very good Danish movie that I watched twice. Only annoyance was the pivotal rape scene (some of which is un-simulated) has been expurgated wherever one looks for it. Nobody should have the right to expurgate scenes from a movie without the director’s permission.

Ech! Sounds like he was a creep. Shouldn't have been teaching.
I doubt he could do anything else. Hair trigger temper & all that. Particularly vicious to one or two of the boys who, shall we say, were not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Chris Rock: Tambourine - 6.5/10
I actually watched another one by accident which was alright, too. It has it's moments, but also down-times, including re-telling of exact jokes from the previous special.

?list=PL6CVc_WDKyAlLHDqVpAWBHaF3b3hD5o2N

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=48587032

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films - (2014)

Finally watched this - and I'll never be able to watch a Cannon film the same way again. If focuses on Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus, who came from Israel to Hollywood after dominating the movie scene over in the former. Their ideas sometimes translated strangely, and they had such a leading role in the films they produced that many of them were a little strange. Their crazy business practices led to the studio (who kept churning out bomb after bomb) going bust in the early 90s. Tons of recognizable films, and many top directors and stars are interviewed. The format from Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! is followed so closely this simply felt like a repeat of that documentary - but the subject matter is very interesting to me.

7/10

By http://www.moviexclusive.com/review/...les/poster.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=20131853

The Incredibles - (2004)

Saw this at the movies when it came out - how time flies! It's fine as entertainment and an enjoyable diversion. Animated films have never been able to compete with live action in my heart, so they all have a certain disadvantage - but this one doesn't rely on humour or cuteness, and instead has some rather well-worked action while spoofing both the superhero genre and also the Bond films a little score-wise. I'll have to look up the second.

7/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=52001253

Nerve - (2016)

I'm sorry, but the ending to Nerve completely wrecked what had been a promising movie up to that point. It was the kind of eye-rolling ridiculous that had me searching Letterboxd reviews (all of them praising the film) until I finally found one that agreed with my inner critic and gave me a little catharsis. An online game dares those who play to perform riskier and riskier stunts until one winner remains standing. Emma Roberts and Dave Franco play a couple of Nerve competitors driven to continue to extremes for different reasons. This all ends in an absolutely dumb fashion - and I won't include spoilers. You'll just have to trust me on that.

4/10