Noir
35.09%
20 votes
Musicals
22.81%
13 votes
Romance
57 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Re: artwork. Yeah, that's one part that's changed/varied a lot. In the early days it was 100% on the host. When I hosted, I got into the code so we could dramatically alter the post layouts, which really expanded the possibilities (otherwise whatever was posted still had to sit "inside" the little white talk bubble containers). After that, some hosts have given me a lot of guidance/examples/specific colors to use for the reveal posts, and some have just given me an example image or two to express the feeling they wanted, and I ended up doing most of the actual design.

Both are fine with me, though obviously work-wise the host being more active in that design process is more helpful. But if someone wanted to do a throwback that was just their own stuff, posted "normally" in the normal post format, that'd be okay, too.

There is ONE thing I'd like to mention. What am I allowed and not allowed to do with the opening art for the preliminary thread? Are there any legal restrictions concerning logos or screenshots or whatever? I doubt there are, but just in case, I already have an idea sorted out.
I don't think so, no.

I don't think so, no.

I'll be working on it ASAP.

And in case I forget, there's one movie series in which I would like to emphasize the "nominate in individual films" rule: the 60's War and Peace series.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I will be very busy on Friday, as I will be working the morning shift at Dunkin, and then going to the theaters to see Scream VI. They're having a showing just a half-hour after I get off of work. So I might not be able to answer back until the afternoon on my end.

On Saturday, I'll have much more free time, but there's a solid chance my brother and I will finish watching The Godfather that day. Now that I ended up with two copies of the whole trilogy, we're gonna get through them all eventually.

I'm now up to 187 war films rated on imdb, ranging from a 10/10 (11 films) to a 4/10 (3 films). The oldest war film I have seen is from 1920 and the newest is from 2022.

There's about 61 films in contention for my ballot right now and still a lot to see.

Rateyourmusic has a good top war movies chart. I'll be taking future recommendations from this.

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top...ll-time/g:war/

I mean it's not going to be mostly films that have been on other lists at all. That's my prediction.

I do have a heap of questions about what is eligible though, and it being War now means I have a few 3 hour films to watch, one 5 hour film to watch and a 9 hour trilogy to watch. Which is a good thing as this will finally spur me on to get started on them.

The Human Condition trilogy? Or is it something else? What's the five hour one?

And yeah, I'm kind of wondering how Holocaust and prisoner of war movies will factor into my ballot (era: also, life during wartime and life under war-occupied rule). And then, based off of very vague recollections, something like Night and Fog (which, apart from being a documentary, isn't what I think most people mean when they say, "war movie." Though, I don't know how many of those conventional war movies are actually my type of movie).

I should know this by now and it might have already been mentioned in the thread, but when do we think ballots will be due by?

The Human Condition trilogy?
Yup. Bought the Blu Ray 5 years ago, never started it!

What's the five hour one?
Well, I have a copy of 'Shoah', that is nearly 5 hours. But I've now read that the whole thing is close to 10 hours!! So I think I only have part 1

And yeah, I'm kind of wondering how Holocaust and prisoner of war movies will factor into my ballot. And then, based off of very vague recollections, something like Night and Fog (which, apart from being a documentary, isn't what I think most people mean when they say, "war movie." Though, I don't know how many of those conventional war movies are actually my type of movie).
Night and Fog is amazing, it will be a strong contender for my list.

I mean it's not going to be mostly films that have been on other lists at all. That's my prediction.

I do have a heap of questions about what is eligible though, and it being War now means I have a few 3 hour films to watch, one 5 hour film to watch and a 9 hour trilogy to watch. Which is a good thing as this will finally spur me on to get started on them.
I have a lot of questions also, but I suppose that once Keyser starts the official preliminary thread, we'll get to the eligibility questions and suggestions.

Yup. Bought the Blu Ray 5 years ago, never started it!

Well, I have a copy of 'Shoah', that is nearly 5 hours. But I've now read that the whole thing is close to 10 hours!! So I think I only have part 1

Night and Fog is amazing, it will be a strong contender for my list.

I've watched my criterion blu-ray set of Shoah twice now, and if I were to guess the runtime without looking, I'd have said 7.5 hours. Maybe 6.5?
Guessing based on recollection, three discs, first two are about 2.5 each? Last one might be 1.5 to 2?
I guess I'll finally get to watching my copy of The Sorrow and the Pity (actually, I was slating that for soon coincidentally. Likewise just started The Human Condition trilogy myself (spoiler, part I, very good), due to a mixture of watching Harakiri recently, Minio's repeated stated love of it, and it being on the criterion channel (I know that last one isn't relevant for you. As of right now, I'll probably pick up the Blu-rays during the next criterion 50% off sale)).
The recent All Quiet has also caused me to slate in a much needed rewatch of the 1930 version and Come and See. I think I had both Night and Fog and Night and Fog in Japan slated for rewatch/watch next month as well.

I wasn't planning to do anything for this poll (and honestly if it had been one of the other options, I might not have been able to participate), but it's looking like I'm just coincidentally sliding into doing a lot watches that will behoove my ballot for this (if we're going expanded definition, though IDK how people would feel if this became more of a list of holocaust films).

Apparently Michael Powell made quite a few war movies, so I'm looking forward to those considering that I've only seen two Powell's so far.

I've only seen two Powell's myself (Peeping Tom and Black Narcissus), but I'd love to check up on more of his stuff.

Apparently Michael Powell made quite a few war movies, so I'm looking forward to those considering that I've only seen two Powell's so far.
I've seen some of his war films...this one is a lock on my ballot 49th Parallel (1941). It's well done and a very different war story as it's told from the perspective of a German WW II U-boat crew who end up getting stranded in north eastern Canada. Then they have to make their way to the U.S. border while evading capture... as the U.S. at the time the movie was made was still neutral. Good film!

I've only seen two Powell's myself (Peeping Tom and Black Narcissus), but I'd love to check up on more of his stuff.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death would probably both be relevant for this countdown. The former more-so (IMO) and the latter (though possibly both) would probably be something @gbgoodies should check out, if she hasn't already seen them.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death would probably both be relevant for this countdown. The former more-so (IMO) and the latter (though possibly both) would probably be something @gbgoodies should check out, if she hasn't already seen them.
Thanks. Both have been recommended to me a couple of times, but I just haven't gotten around to them. Guess now it's the time.