Documentaries

Tools    

Elephant Whisperers (2022)

I like to give the Oscar documentaries a look if I can, and this one was very calming and pleasant to watch. Nothing extraordinary (though I'm not really sure where the bar is for 40 minute documentaries), but it does give a delightful glimpse into a simpler life of elephant caretakers.

Elephant Whisperers (2022)

I like to give the Oscar documentaries a look if I can, and this one was very calming and pleasant to watch. Nothing extraordinary (though I'm not really sure where the bar is for 40 minute documentaries), but it does give a delightful glimpse into a simpler life of elephant caretakers.
I am so going to watch this on Netflix. Sure do hope it doesn’t make me cry though since there is nothing I like more than elephants.

Loved this. Two young “cowgirls” hire themselves out on a seasonal basis as cattle herders. They travel around, but the documentary is set in Idaho. They are two brave chicks who don’t seem bothered at all by their rough life. Amazing to see one of them fairly easily breaking in a horse.

I am so going to watch this on Netflix. Sure do hope it doesn’t make me cry though since there is nothing I like more than elephants.
Loved this so much I watched it twice on consecutive days.

The Pez Outlaw (2022)

This is a highly enjoyable, very well done, and stranger than fiction documentary directed by Bryan and Amy Storkel.

Steve Glew is an old Hippie dropout living in the country, when he stumbles of the idea of acquiring valuable Pez candy dispensers and getting involved in selling to the Pez collector community.

He discovers a way to obtain loads of rare ones from a factory in Europe, which allows him to make huge profits for he and his wife.

Things go great until a Pez corporate officer decides to fight Steve Glew. You won't believe how this story unfolds.

Available on Netflix and presumably other streaming sources.

Doc's rating: 8/10

No fan of standup comedy, but re-watched this documentary about her life & birth of her son. She’s very likeable.

Sweet unusual documentary from Delhi, India. Two brothers rescue injured birds & treat them in their bird hospital. Huge raptors falling from the sky because of extreme pollution in the air of India.

Interesting documentary about two French men seeking the elusive snow leopard of Tibet. (They were successful in finding him.)

They really seem to like wildlife, but nobody mentioned the poor little dog probably chained 24/7 in all weathers outside a local herder’s dwelling.

This is so good I watched it twice.

Eastern Ukraine shelter for children from broken homes. (Alcoholism seems to be the main culprit of the “parents”.) Kids can stay for 9 months while their case goes through the custody courts. If the parents retain parental rights their kids are returned to them. If not kids must go to an orphanage.

I could not believe how many of the children have been abandoned by their parents. One woman has 3 lovely children, including a most delightful little girl, but she never visits or calls.

I think the shelter has been moved now to Western Ukraine for some measure of safety during the war.

Never heard of this former Italian model. Moderately interesting.

Anne Dagg was the first person to ever do research in Africa on giraffes. She’s still alive & is a most fascinating woman.

Strange choice from Andrea Arnold to direct this documentary. A dairy farm in Kent, England is featured. In particular a cow named Luma whom we follow for 4 years. Interesting, but so glad I don’t have eating meat on my conscience. If they sold vegan milk in small bottles like regular milk does, I would gladly eliminate milk from my diet.

Strange choice from Andrea Arnold to direct this documentary. A dairy farm in Kent, England is featured. In particular a cow named Luma whom we follow for 4 years. Interesting, but so glad I don’t have eating meat on my conscience. If they sold vegan milk in small bottles like regular milk does, I would gladly eliminate milk from my diet.
Have you tried almond milk?

Have you tried almond milk?
Yes, at DNKN. Too sweet. My favorite is oatmilk. It’s delicious, but only sold in large cartons. I need milk once a day for my morning cuppa tea so a huge carton will, presumably, go bad before I finish it. I buy the regular milk in small bottles.

If I could eliminate eggs, cheese & milk from my diet I would be proud to say I’m vegan. But it’s hard where I live to get vegan stuff without making a trip to Whole Foods or Big Y. Even then, I don’t know what would be nutritious substitutes.

Yes, at DNKN. Too sweet. My favorite is oatmilk. It’s delicious, but only sold in large cartons. I need milk once a day for my morning cuppa tea so a huge carton will, presumably, go bad before I finish it. I buy the regular milk in small bottles.

If I could eliminate eggs, cheese & milk from my diet I would be proud to say I’m vegan. But it’s hard where I live to get vegan stuff without making a trip to Whole Foods or Big Y. Even then, I don’t know what would be nutritious substitutes.
I don't know about the east coast but here they sell almond milk with different levels of sugar, i.e. calories per cup. There's even unsweetened almond milk as well as 40-50 calories per cup milk. Have you tried any of that?

I don't know about the east coast but here they sell almond milk with different levels of sugar, i.e. calories per cup. There's even unsweetened almond milk as well as 40-50 calories per cup milk. Have you tried any of that?
No, I haven’t. The almond milk I’ve had was in DNKN coffee. Do they sell almond milk in small bottles out there?