30th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Starting To Live and Die in L.A. right now.

I also owe my review of Fat Girl, which I might get to this weekend.

If I'm too swamped, I think I might write something on Candyman. I saw it a couple of years ago, but I still would like to rewatch it.

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985) -

Friedkin is now two for two with memorable car chases.

I might be rating this film too high, but since its best elements have stuck with me to a significant degree since watching it, my better judgment says my rating for it is fair. On the surface level, it has some strong acting across the board (Willem Dafoe, in particular) and some well-executed action scenes (including a car chase scene whose choreography and sense of thrills rivals that in The French Connection). It also has some memorable music choices. Beyond all the gloss though, it's also a compelling story which examines the personality and morality of the two main officers in the film. Chance is reckless and corrupt, while Vukovich is more level-headed and follows the rules. Watching the two of them carry out the investigation in their own distinct ways and observing the impact it has on them is where the film shines. For instance, while the aforementioned car chase is great, the aftermath of it comes with its own set of teeth since Vukovich is crippled by guilt for his involvement in it, while Chance remains unfazed throughout it. I wasn't a fan of the culmination of Vukovich's arc since his actions were too rushed for me to buy them, but this is a minor flaw in the grand scheme of everything else. For the most part, the film handles the characters very well and does a fine job at exploring the ways their shaped by their surroundings.

Next Up (or probably last up): Valley of the Dolls

I forgot the opening line.

To Live and Die in L.A. - 1985

Directed by William Friedkin

Written by William Friedkin & Gerald Petievich
Based on a novel by Gerald Petievich

Starring William Petersen, Willem Dafoe, John Pankow, Debra Feuer
John Turturro, Darlanne Fluegel & Dean Stockwell

A counterfeit world. Counterfeit people. Lawless, with a desperate need to court death and feel adrenaline coursing through their veins. William Friedkin's crime thriller To Live and Die in L.A. feels a little dirty, and the people in it corrosive and unpleasant. This isn't a film with "good guys" in it, but it does have it's fair share of "bad guys", and you'd probably put anti-hero Secret Service Agent Richard Chance (William Petersen) in with the criminal element when you get towards the end of the story and find out that nothing matters to him other than the rush and bringing down Eric "Rick" Masters (Willem Dafoe) - artist and counterfeiter supreme. For writer/director Friedkin, the 1980s had proved to be a difficult decade to date, so for this film he sought out no-name actors new to cinema, and set out to make something more satisfying to his sensibilities and less commercial. Something more stylish - and as always cutting edge. It continues to build an audience and reputation as decades pass.

Chance's partner Jimmy Hart (Michael Greene) has been killed - three days out from retirement (a terribly perilous few days for a fictional Agent.) Masters is to blame, so with the help of informant Ruth (Darlanne Fluegel), snitch Carl Cody (John Turturro) and new partner John Vukovich (John Pankow) he aims to take Masters down. This would all be fine, but it's the manner in which Chance does this that's cause for concern. He might be getting good information from Ruth, but he's also forcing her to have sex with him by way of extortion. He might learn a thing or two from Cody, but he thoughtlessly lets the convict get the upper hand and lets him get away. He might have a new partner in Vukovich, but he's leading the Agent down a dark path involving dangerous car chases involving unknown forces, robbery, stealing evidence and unsanctioned law-breaking practices. Chance is a thrill-seeker, and seems to have the need to frequently risk his own life - finding that an addictive rush that fulfills him in a way that nothing else can. His future is mapped, and Chance is less an agent than a death-defying adrenaline junkie.

To Live and Die in L.A. is a remarkable motion picture in a variety of different ways. First of all, one of it's crowning glories is a car chase that rivals the one Friedkin created for The French Connection - a famous landmark by itself. Secondly it provides the great Willem Dafoe with his first really solid and substantial role in a big film - a challenge he rose to in a big way, playing the very "Zen" and calm artist Masters, who obviously has a fire raging inside of him. Thirdly, it builds to a conclusion that no other mainstream film would dare to end with - even if Friedkin was forced to shoot an alternate ending to pacify nervous producers. Lastly, there's the well edited and shot counterfeiting scene which was actually guided by a real once-incarcerated counterfeiter that stuck to the real process, and gave the film an authenticity that's compelling, and makes the film feel genuine. That's before we get to the various talented people who contributed to making the film we see before us today.

Wang Chung were a huge part of it - providing music which feels emblematic of the 1980s crime thriller genre. I can't listen to Dance Hall Days without thinking of Grand Theft Auto, and various parts fill To Live and Die in L.A. - but also very iconic is the opening credits song which shares the film's title. There's a certain dramatic excitement to the music, which gives a harder edge to the film. Cinematographer Robby Müller came to Friedkin's attention by being director of photography on many of Wim Wenders' films, and he'd become a regular of Jim Jarmusch as well - he had the ability to capture what was exciting about a scene, and do it quickly and efficiently. Müller is generally known as one of the greats. Important as well, to bringing this off, was stunt coordinator Buddy Joe Hooker, who planned the famous car chase scene in meticulous fashion and helped with what was a weeks-long process of successfully staging each shot needed, at times in command of 900 different vehicles as the lanes usually driven in were inverted.

I want to like To Live and Die in L.A. more than I do, and it's a real struggle for me to understand why it is I feel fairly ambivalent about it. I don't dislike it, and if I judge it objectively I think it's brilliant, but something about it just doesn't fit my personal criteria for loving a film. Car chases have never been my thing, cinematically speaking. I enjoy listening to Wang Chung in context with the film, but they're not a band I'd ever listen to outside of that. The only actor I really hold close to my heart amongst the cast is Willem Dafoe (I like John Turturro as well, but he only has a small part in this) - and he's purposely at odds with the audience in this. The neo-noir and crime/action genres are not my favourites either. It's like a perfect storm of alienating factors which have turned a film I'd normally enjoy into one that I don't quite connect with. When that happens, it combines with the downer "there are no heroes" atmosphere of the film which makes that feeling all the more pronounced.

I have a friend who describes this film as having the same "no rules" cop/agent that we normally see in movies, but for the world he comes up against to be unusually less forgiving and more real. It's refreshing that there are consequences to so much of what the characters do in this film, but we can by no means find much to soothe our souls with. You can't spend too much time with these people without having to wade through the same cesspool as them, but it illustrates very clearly why ethics is such an important component of being a professional and doing your job well. It might pay off to cut a corner, or bend a rule (for example, the way a certain library list is obtained in Se7en), but to be a no-holds-barred all-out bastard and take advantage of your position to sexually exploit people, and actually commit robberies to help corner the target of your investigation, will eventually get you killed and will always help criminals in the courtroom. Nothing is ever done really well by going to absolute extremes - and there's no justice in all-out murder.

To Live and Die in L.A. was a real return for William Friedkin to the kind of filmmaking that produces memorable and lasting cinematic treasures. It's not quite suited for my tastes, but it's obviously a well-made and exciting movie that has refreshing sensibilities that challenge the viewer and often surprises with it's narrative choices. Watching it feels like seeing a cinematic version of a Grand Theft Auto game, with the same moral ambiguity, and rough action. You're constantly reminded of why siding with one particular character might be troubling at certain times - even the absolute best of them. It's the world these agents live in, with counterfeit money on the streets, and counterfeit personalities and niceties fronting criminals with deadly ambitions, and counterfeit agents breaking the laws they hope to uphold - killing each other if necessary. Enhanced by Robby Müller's exciting work behind the camera and Wang Chung's music, it helps to give yourself up to the danger and spectacle - there aren't many places like L.A. and there aren't many crime thrillers like this either - it's the real deal.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

DEAD MAN'S LETTERS
(1986, Lopushansky)

" 'Look, o you shall see a star'. But there were no stars in the sky for the darkness took over the world."

This line, delivered towards the end of this bleak, post-apocalyptic drama from the Soviet Union, highlights what I think is the main line of thought of the film; the idea of transmitting hope in spite of everything against it. Set in this post-nuclear wasteland, Dead Man's Letters follows Larsen (Rolan Bykov), a professor determined to find hope somewhere, anywhere.

But how can we find hope when everything around us is in ruins? When everybody is telling us it is futile? When all our loved ones are gone? The film presents us a world that seems completely beyond hope, as people are forced to live underground, while wearing protective clothing and gas masks outside to keep them safe from the polluted air, the dirty water, and the scattered carcasses.

Although the slim hopes of most people rely on the existence of a "central bunker", Larsen is sure that there has to be more outside of that. Released towards the end of the Cold War, this seems like a very clear analogy of the centralized aspect of communism in the Soviet country; something that results in fewer resources, and therefore fewer chances to "survive" outside of this "centralized" system.

I do wish that the character of Larsen would feel more real, more relatable. The film goes for a bit of a more cold and distant approach that keeps its characters at a distance. And even though the despair and hopelessness of the situation does come through, I feel that a more emotional and character-driven approach could've been more powerful.

At several points, Larsen interacts with a group of orphaned children that have been discarded and pretty much left to die. It is in them that Larsen sees the hope of a future in this world, and it is to them that he shares the above story about "a star". Maybe he saw it, maybe not, but when darkness takes over, sometimes we have to hold on to the hope that that star is there.

Grade:

The Uninvited is optional for now, since MovieGal has been M.I.A. for a while

The Uninvited is optional for now, since MovieGal has been M.I.A. for a while
Neither are technically correct No one has dropped out...and...MovieGal's nom The Uninvited has been optional to watch since the start of this HoF.

From the Rules of Participation on the 1st post:
Past HoF Dropouts: Are welcomed but if they haven't completed an HoF since last dropping out they will need to watch all the movies, write the reviews and send in a voting list before their movie is officially listed and required to be watched.

Neither are technically correct No one has dropped out...and...MovieGal's nom The Uninvited has been optional to watch since the start of this HoF.

From the Rules of Participation on the 1st post:

FAT GIRL
(2001, Breillat)

"No one would think we're sisters. lt's true. We don't take after anyone. It's like we're born of ourseIves."

Fat Girl follows the relationship of sisters, Anaïs and Elena (Anaïs Pingot and Roxanne Mesquida) as they each face their respective coming-of-age issues and sexual awakening in very different ways. The contrast between both is the central focus of this drama from Catherine Breillat.

As Elena herself says in the above quote, they are very much different. Anaïs is 12-year old, "chubby", and leaning more to the shy/introvert side albeit with a bitter cynicism to her, while Elena is 15-year old, skinny, and bolder in her approach to men, with a certain dose of wickedness. But as "daring" as Elena presents herself, she is actually waiting for the right man to lose her virginity. Anaïs, on the other hand, says she wants her first time to be "with nobody. I don't want a guy bragging he had me first."

The film extends that juxtaposition also to how supporting characters approach and treat the sisters. From Elena's new "boyfriend" (Liberto de Rienzo) to a key character in the last act, we are left to wonder on the differences and similarities between both treatments, and how much lies, deceit, and violence play into the "game".

It is the last act what might separate the film from being a masterpiece to some or a disappointment to others; the ones that love it from those that might hate it. It is most definitely one that's filled of unexpected tension, and a twist that feels completely out of left field (but is it?). Regardless of where you fall, I give Breillat heavy props for unapologetically throwing it out and just let the chips fall where they may.

Grade:

Let the night air cool you off
I am going to go ahead and do what I don't want to do, but probably should do: bow out. The way I am watching these films is negatively affecting how much I enjoy them, which isn't fair to the films or the people who nominated them. And it has nothing to do with film quality, most of these films are already on my big imdb watchlist. I've been trying for at least two weeks to get through Valley of the Dolls, I fell asleep within the first ten minutes of both Ida and Fat Girl. I do have problems in other areas of my life with this as well, but after a day at work, it's very, very hard to focus on something if it is not exactly what I want to focus on. And even then it's just a matter of how long I can do it. I have a sleep study scheduled March 2nd, and from there I can only hope they prescribe me one of those Darth Vader machines that helps me breathe at night so I can get passed this. Sorry for the woe is me, sorry if you watched my nom, sorry if I didn't watch yours. I don't imagine I'd be ready to roll by the 31st, but hopefully by the 32nd I'll be back in commission.

I am going to go ahead and do what I don't want to do, but probably should do: bow out. The way I am watching these films is negatively affecting how much I enjoy them, which isn't fair to the films or the people who nominated them. And it has nothing to do with film quality, most of these films are already on my big imdb watchlist. I've been trying for at least two weeks to get through Valley of the Dolls, I fell asleep within the first ten minutes of both Ida and Fat Girl. I do have problems in other areas of my life with this as well, but after a day at work, it's very, very hard to focus on something if it is not exactly what I want to focus on. And even then it's just a matter of how long I can do it. I have a sleep study scheduled March 2nd, and from there I can only hope they prescribe me one of those Darth Vader machines that helps me breathe at night so I can get passed this. Sorry for the woe is me, sorry if you watched my nom, sorry if I didn't watch yours. I don't imagine I'd be ready to roll by the 31st, but hopefully by the 32nd I'll be back in commission.
You do what's best for you, JJ. I hope the study goes well, and if you get the machine, just remember that it's for your benefit. My wife uses hers and she was surprised by how fast she got used to it.

Candyman is no longer in the HoF and if you haven't already watched it you don't have to.

Looks like you guys haven't watched Candyman. @edarsenal @rauldc14 @Thief @PHOENIX74

Candyman is no longer in the HoF and if you haven't already watched it you don't have to.

Looks like you guys haven't watched Candyman. @edarsenal @phoenix11 @rauldc14 @Thief
I had seen it recently, so I had it on the bubble.