The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

not sure if it's still on Netflix, but I kept eyeballing it and never took the leap. Really need to.

It is, apparently (in the US). https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/mollys-game

Bridge of Spies is not, unfortunately.

Victim of The Night
Yay! another Tinker Tailor lover! It was my #10.
Cheers!
Yeah, when I think of what movie I would have a male actor watch (since almost all of the principals are men) to learn how to act, this immediately jumps to mind.
And just my sort of slow-burn, 70s call-back thriller.

Victim of The Night

I think of the films not showing up "The Nice Guys" and "The Death of Stalin" were really deserving of a place. The Nice Guys is such a fantastic comedy.
I really do like it and did consider it.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

21. Irrational Man (Woody Allen, 2015) #684
Wow, nice to see this title supported by someone! If I knew it, I'd put some points on it too, to bring it from #684 into top 600.

not sure if it's still on Netflix, but I kept eyeballing it and never took the leap. Really need to.
I had been looking forward to Molly's Game but found it a bit underwhelming. I'd still say it's worth a watch and some people really seem to dig it.

I had been looking forward to Molly's Game but found it a bit underwhelming. I'd still say it's worth a watch and some people really seem to dig it.
Same. Sorkin, Chastain, Elba in a gambling flick. I was all in. It was fine but definitely wasn’t the entertainment I was hoping for.

I found the narration in Molly's Game irritating at times, still rated it as fairly enjoyable as a whole though.

I mean, Cosmatos loves his kitsch. The dude obliterating Venom listeners is funny & just Cosmatos sprinkling his film with some pulp!
I didn't like Mandy and have pushed Black Rainbow out of my immediate watchlist because of that, but it really does have Venom on the soundtrack I may have to reconsider.

Well, I'm definitely going to have to watch YOUR list because even at the end of this I don't feel like there's much in our consensus here that really goes toe to toe with some other decades. I think the stats that were presented about how few votes compared to other lists some of these films pretty high up were getting may speak to recency but it may also speak to the films themselves.
But that is really just my feelings.

There is less consensus because this decade only just ended. With a few exceptions, there hasn't been enough time for all of the eventual classics to be canonized. There is also way more movies being made these days, with way more access to films made from different countries, diffusing our votes. So there is really zero mystery why you aren't seeing 100 bonafide films for the ages here that everyone is just silently nodding along to an agreeing upon. That takes decades.

Also, I don't know why you would think during a time where it has become cheaper and more accessible for people to make films, that suddenly there would be less great films than ever before? And not only are more people making films, they now have a deeper wealth of film history to influence them, meaning you will have more and more stylistically and narratively diverse movies being made. Are the great ones maybe harder to find now that so many are being made? Possibly (but also, not really, as the internet is an invaluable tool to do research on what is happening under the surface of cinema). And is it also possible that the giant black blotting sun of superhero films is keeping more esoteric fare from reaching the masses. Likely, but this is also a situation where doing a little legwork can quickly produce miraculous results. Or one can just get a Mubi subscription.

There are an awful lot of posters here who have watched an awful lot from this decade to find what it offers, and it seems to me all those that are truly doing significant digging, are all saying point blank "great movies are everywhere". That is what should be taken away from a list like this, not statistics that aren't showing us a trustworthy enough consensus.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I didn't like Mandy and have pushed Black Rainbow out of my immediate watchlist because of that, but it really does have Venom on the soundtrack I may have to reconsider.
The Venom song plays for like 30 seconds in the background just as Venom fans are being murdered. I bet Cosmatos loves Venom but I like to think this is Cosmatos' statement about that band's music. Well, I sure as hell ain't a fan!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
You had 6 in the top 100, 5 in the top 50, 3 in the top 25, and 2 in the top ten.
Your highest ranked film was ranked #1 (Parasite), and your lowest ranked film was #798 (Ága).

I've seen 56/100

mrblond's Ballot

1. Amour (2012)
  2. Still Life (2013)
  3. Nebraska (2013)
  4. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010)
  5. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

6. Wild Tales (2014)
  7. The Great Beauty (2013)
  8. A Rainy Day in New York (2019)
  9. Albert Nobbs (2011)
  10. 45 Years (2015)

11. To Rome with Love (2012)
  12. Tangerines (2013)
  13. A Better Life (2011)
  14. Ida (2013)
  15. Midnight in Paris (2011)

16. Phantom Thread (2017)
  17. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
  18. Blue Jasmine (2013)
  19. In the Aisles (2018)
  20. Virgin Mountain (2015)

21. A Man Called Ove (2015)
  22. Youth (2015)
  23. All Is Lost (2013)
  24. Parasite (2019)
  25. Ága (2018)

Best remedy for this is discussing what the next one should be. Where's that poll at?
Yoda said he would be making a thread to discuss what should be on the poll thread, this coming Monday.

So far Musicals, Noir & War seems popular.

16. Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)

Psychedelic, enigmatic, orgone-oozing, metaphysical, with great cinematography and music. This is cinema understood as a sensory experience. And so it wonderfully delivers on the promise. Pointless are whiners' retorts about it being pointless, narrationless, plotless, and so on. Cosmatos indeed meant for the film to be a much more traditional outing at first. But when he sat down in the editing room, he decided to go all atmosphere. He's the son of an 80s director, so perhaps at this point, he understood how the films from the 80s, though having the trademark style and feel, always had to revert back to their plot, hark back to conventional filmmaking, and boring resolutions. And maybe at that point, he decided to go full orgone mode. Just speculating, but regardless of why he went about it, I'm glad that the final outcome is what it is. It's one of those films that can transport me into another dimension, full of transcendental miasma.
Love to see this mentioned, and it pains me that I didn't find space for it on my ballot. It was deserving. Like you said, an absolute sensory experience.

Blue Jasmine has one of the best performances I've seen in Cate Blanchett's. Good to see it mentioned.

Been out of town for a few days, so catching up with the finals.

First off, would like to thank Spelling Errer for hosting this countdown (see what I did there). Also, a huge applause for the little people behind the scenes for which this countdown would be all for naught. I have added over a dozen films to my watch list because of this latest event and hidden recommendations found within.

A huge success!

My Ballot:
1. Boyhood (2014) (#32)
2. Parasite (2019) (#1)
3. The Descendants (2011) (#98)
4. 50 / 50 (2011) (DNP)
5. Whiplash (2014) (#4)
6. I, Tonya (2017) (DNP)
7. The Florida Project (2017) (#14)
8. Shoplifters (2018) (#18)
9. Eighth Grade (2018) (DNP)
10. The Death of Stalin (2017) (DNP)
11. Vice (2018) (DNP)
12. Four Lions (2010) (DNP)
13. Room (2015) (#97)
14. Logan Lucky (2017)
15. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) (#58)
16. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) (#2)
17. Deadpool (2016) (#85)
18. BlacKkKlansman (2018)
19. The Way, Way Back (2013)
20. Straight Outta Compton (2015)
21. The Founder (2016)
22. Deepwater Horizon (2016)
23. Ex Machina (2015)(#49)
24. Bad Education (2019) (DNP)
25. God Bless America (2019) (DNP - 1 ptr)

Sigh. My third attempt to respond to this, I have already deleted the first two.
I don't know why you react so negatively to my opinion on this but I have decided that my negative reaction to your negative reaction isn't going to help.
I don't think these movies are as good and that is my opinion as a film-watcher. I don't think our Top-10 ever makes a major dent in an all-time list, not in 10 years not in 20. That is my opinion regardless of whether you personally feel I have "done the work" to have that opinion. But I will keep it to myself going forward just to avoid being admonished for having an opinion.

My 'negativity' comes from you trying to draw a line between some stats compiled from this list, and your repeated claims that there isn't enough good movies being made for a top 100 list for this decade. There is a vast world of difference between saying you aren't finding the same quality of films now as you did in previous decades and trying to use rando stats to bolster that claim.

I'm also basically trying to keep you from further reinforcing some seriously flawed logic, which is only going to lead you towards more dead ends of discovery. You already seem jaded enough about this decade as is, dont try and convince yourself that statistics regarding consensus have the slightest bit of meaning.

And terribly sorry if you think me pointing out the distinct possibility that maybe you are looking in the wrong places is the main cause of your disappontment here. I of course can't speak to how you react to what you actually have seen, and no one is saying this decade should somehow beat out whatever ones you prefer, but it might be something for you to consider when you keep shrugging your shoulders in indifference and the rest of us keep managing to find all sorts of wonderful films. We aren't doing it by magic. And our standards aren't somehow markedly different from yours.

But if you really want to keep feeling this way, and you don't want anyone to challenge the notion that hoping for consensus at this point is virtually meaningless, and that maybe you can start looking elsewhere for your movie fixes, don't worry about it. I'll leave you alone to keep being unsatisfied with whatever methods you are currently using to choose what you watch. Maybe in about thirty years you might find some better stats to rescue you and you can have the last laugh at crusty old crumbsroom

I think of the films not showing up "The Nice Guys" and "The Death of Stalin" were really deserving of a place. The Nice Guys is such a fantastic comedy.
The Nice Guys, like Four Lions, is another one I strongly considered, but since I had already put it on my Comedy Countdown List, decided to put the spotlight on other films.