The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Trivia

Whiplash - For the slapping scene, J.K. Simmons and Miles Teller filmed several takes with Simmons only miming the slap. For the final take, Simmons and Teller decided to film the scene with a real, genuine slap. This is the take that is in the film.

Yeah, as I mentioned, Whiplash was not for me...

But cool to see that my only film left (my number 3) is in the top three. It's a film I predicted would have a chance of winning early on in this thread I think, even though it'll probably come up just short. 82/97 seen.

MoFo Reviewer

Whiplash is one of the most intense and thrilling films I’ve seen in a long time. I was on the edge of my seat for basically the whole movie, and never wanted to take my eyes off of the screen. I found myself cringing and tensing up when Andrew would hit a wrong note or play at the wrong tempo. As someone who plays the drums, this film was especially intense and nerve-wracking. I could tell when Andrew was off tempo before Fletcher made the whole band stop, and it made the film that much more realistic, and intense. I knew in advance when Fletcher was going to go off, and it had me looking away and cringing. One of the things that the film does really well is capture that feeling you get in the classroom when you know someone is going to get yelled at. You get that instant feeling of dread and that feeling where you want to duck beneath your seat so you don’t get yelled at too. They made it so that it seemed as if J.K. Simmons was yelling at YOU the audience member. It made Andrew’s pressure and stress that much more personal and relatable. Every time that Andrew starts drumming in front of Fletcher, I tensed up, hoping that he would hit every note perfectly, hoping that he wouldn’t do anything wrong, so that he could avoid Fletcher’s wrath, and not be the one in the wrong. I had such a strong desire for Andrew not to mess up, that I began to think that I was Andrew. I began to feel that if Andrew messed up, I had messed up, and began to feel the dread of Fletcher walking over and yelling in my face. I felt myself going with the music and feeling it, as if I was the one playing it, hoping that I wouldn’t make a mistake. It really is amazing how well they created a fear of mistakes in this film. Ok, I think I’ve rambled about the story enough, it’s time to move on to acting.
Read the full review here.

A system of cells interlinked
Whiplash was another that I didn't get in before the ballot submission, but I don't think it would have made my final count. Probably more like Top 50 for me. Loved all the performances of the actors and all the music numbers, and I like that the film had a surprise or two in its narrative motion. Really good, but no vote from me.

mark f

Whiplash (Damien Chazelle, 2014)

Bullying conductor/teacher J.K. Simmons tries to get a reaction from young drummer Miles Teller. Is it to make him stronger or tear him down?
Whiplash didn't make mark f's ballot.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Two Chazelles in a row!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

This is the first time Whiplash has appeared on an official MoFo List. And it is neither rushing nor dragging, on the four is exactly when it was supposed to come in.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Whiplash was a decent enough watch that did make it onto my long list but was a fairly early (and easy) cut for me as thus far I've never felt the slightest desire to rewatch it.

Very decent film. Gripping in places and well written, remarkably so for someone as young as Chazelle at the time.

Fun Fact: Andrew's shirts go from light colour in earlier scenes, gradually to darker shirts in later scenes, culminating in a black shirt just like his teacher's in the final live on stage performance.

The film was not on my list though.

Two Chazelle films back to back.

Whiplash was almost booted off my ballot, but it barely made it on at #25. Since watching it, I've seen other films since then which have stuck with me much more (if I had submitted my ballot a year after this countdown started, it might've been booted off altogether), but I still like it quite a bit It's stylistically incredible, its contains a ton of tension, the ending is great, and the more you think about the film, the more tragic it gets. Granted, number 4 seems a bit high for it, but it wasn't a surprise to see it receive this much votes.

Updated ballot:

1. The Tree of Life (#10)
2. Holy Motors (#51)
4. Moonlight (#62)
5. The Florida Project (#14)
6. Inside Llewyn Davis (#22)
8. Arrival (#12)
10. Burning (#35)
11. A Ghost Story (near miss #119)
12. Take Shelter (#67)
13. Certified Copy (#84)
14. Under the Skin (#54)
17. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (#7)
19. The Social Network (#6)
20. A Separation (#90)
21. It's Such a Beautiful Day (#16)
23. Hereditary (#96)
25. Whiplash (#4)

I've seen Whiplash twice and I've liked it twice - well, I've liked J.K. Simmons in it twice - but I've never come close to loving it so it was never a contender for my ballot. As an aside, after what happened with It's Such A Beautiful Day, I'm curious if anyone mistakenly voted for Whiplash the short from 2013?

Seen: 58/97
My Ballot:
1. Her (#9)
6. The Skin I Live In (#127, Near Miss)
7. Joker (#60)
8. Django Unchained (#27)
9. The Wolf of Wall Street (#11)
10. You Were Never Really Here (#120, Near Miss)
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
14. Inside Out (#59)
20. Jojo Rabbit (#89)
24. Call Me By Your Name (#102, Near Miss)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My Most Recent Review for Whiplash:

Whiplash (Damien Chazelle, 2014)
(Rewatch)

This is not a movie that I thought I'd ever watch again. I don't like jazz music, I don't give a crap about the drums, and I generally don't like movies about shitty people doing shitty things to each other. But I thought I'd give it another shot since I fully expect it to make the countdown.

As expected, my experience with it is much the same as it was last time and I come away with mixed feelings. On one hand, Andrew Neiman, the film's protagonist, is deeply unlikable. I don't know, maybe I'm meant to admire his drive and dedication, but mostly I just think he's a prick so it's hard to care when bad things happen to him and I find that rather off-putting. But on the other hand, what more than balances that out and totally makes the movie is J.K. Simmons as Fletcher - an even bigger prick who is so unlikable that he's almost likable. He is absolutely mesmerizing to watch and he completely chews up the screen. If I were to rate the movie on Simmons alone, it'd be a 5/5 but like some of the other performance showcases I've watched for this, the rest of the film just feels okay to me.

Looking back through 10 to 4...the only one of those I've seen was The Social Network. I liked it, but not enough to put it on my list. And I'm not sure how well it would hold up for me if I watched it now.

The truth is in here
Seems like I got just about lucky enough for my favorite Chazelle to rank higher.

Whiplash was #24 on my list. That makes it the lowest-ranking movie on here not to be a one-pointer, but doesn't take away from the many fine qualities of the film. Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons both give phenomenal performances. Teller sells the dangerous devotion and sacrifice Andrew puts himself through 100%. Even when he starts behaving in an incredibly selfish towards those around him, his psyche is so far gone at that point that it's just tragic. How much is giving up all of life's joys and pleasures to reach one single goal really worth it?
Fletch is of a similar nature, but on the opposite side of the spectrum. Instead of pushing himself as hard as he can, he's torturing Andrew out of some ****ed up ends-justifying-the-means philosophy. He goes far beyond what anyone could classify as "tough love" to relenntless psychological bullying. His methods do get results, but there's no question about how morally objectionable they are. J.K.'s performance makes Fletch rank up there with Schillinger in Oz as one of the best villains ever put to screen.

To my surprise as well, there is a great deal of humor in Schillinger's interactions with Andrew as well as the other students. His taunting is so absurd and over-the-top in nature that you can't stop yourself from laughing at it. You simply can't believe how insane this guy is. I know this is obviously a straight drama, but it's one of the funniest in that genre I've watched.

Now make sure you read my post in the right tempo, or your drumset will end up looking like Slayer's Raining Blood by the time I'm done with you.

Fun Fact: Andrew's shirts go from light colour in earlier scenes, gradually to darker shirts in later scenes, culminating in a black shirt just like his teacher's in the final live on stage performance.
Eh, not sure if that's actually to the film's benefit, to be honest.

I know next to nothing about jazz, but even I can recognize a phony when I see it.

Like Florida Project, Whiplash is a movie that probably should be on my list. I think about it and rewatch it as much as any other movie of the decade. Simmons is fantastic, and this movie gave me respect for Teller, who was an actor I actively disliked until this point in his career. Great script of course. Surprised to see it this high, but it’s good with me.