The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

For what it's worth, The Tree of Life has one of the 5 lowest IMDb scores of the countdown so far...

The Witch - 6.9
The Tree of Life - 6.8
It Follows - 6.8
Under the Skin - 6.3
Spring Breakers - 5.3
Two of these made my list!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

For what it's worth, The Tree of Life has one of the 5 lowest IMDb scores of the countdown so far...

The Witch - 6.9
The Tree of Life - 6.8
It Follows - 6.8
Under the Skin - 6.3
Spring Breakers - 5.3
All very good to great films. Under the Skin was on my ballot as well.

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Chastain, Leonardo DiCaprio, Chris Evans

Jeremy Renner, Oscar Isaac, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Ruffalo, Shea Whigham, Sebastian Stan, Domhnall Gleeson

Emma Stone, Brie Larson, Willem Dafoe, Lakeith Stanfield, Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper, Michael Shannon, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Michael Keaton, Richard Jenkins, Taika Waititi, Tom Hiddleston, Josh Brolin, Maximiliano Hernandez, Lucas Hedges, Kyle Chandler

*Powered by @Thief

Side note: I have Miss Sloane @ #176 of the decade.

Also, assuming the four that voted for the short meant to vote for the feature, and that I believe we still use number of lists as the tie breaker, It's a Beautiful Day would have been in the top 10 and The Tree of Life bumped to #11, correct?

The Tree of Life didn't make my list as I haven't seen it yet.

My List as of Now considering the odds of future entries from it are at zero percent:

My List  

Today, I'll reveal the honorable mentions that didn't get revealed. Already talked about Gravity, Moonlight, Midnight in Paris and Silence

The Lego Movie had a nice sense of adventure about it as well as an interesting conversation of chaos versus order. Lots of good laughs and it totally deserved that Oscar nomination for 2014 which it was denied.

It Comes at Night is another horror film dealing with atmosphere. Although its plot might hit a bit close to home considering the events of the last few years, it still works as a first class thriller as a safe family reluctantly takes on another family as they try to protect themselves from a contagious disease.

Zootopia comes in with a different set of skills. But it still manages to wow in its depiction of its huge world (Try Everything) as a rabbit is determined to become a cop despite the odds. She reluctantly becomes allies with a shifty fox who might help her solve her first big case. It goes for laughs less than the Lego Movie, but it hits the heart more and I guess it's a draw?

Allow it, I had Attack the Block as an honorable mention. It does a good job of setting up its atmosphere in working class London and in placing gang leader Moses (John Boyega) and nurse trainee Samantha (Jodie Whitaker) through the wringer as they go from Moses and his gang robbing Sam to working together to fight an alien invasion. The film manages to mix the horror and comedy elements well, I thought.

And last but not least, Beasts of the Southern Wild was my final unrevealed honorable mention. They create a distinctive world known as the Bathtub where Hushpuppy (Quvenzhane Wallis) and her father survive. It's a modest standard of living, but they seem to enjoy it fine. It's a story of survival and adapting to the changing whims of nature and circumstance. Her performance is a standout.

Welcome to the human race...
I guess if we're going through our picks that we think definitely didn't make it...

The World's End was my #4. While this has a reputation for being one of Edgar Wright's weaker films due to how it recycles certain tropes and themes from his earlier films - the body-snatching aliens are arguably a hybrid of Shaun of the Dead's zombies and Hot Fuzz's eerie villagers - I think this illustrates how it best serves as a proper summation of the "Cornetto trilogy" and how, regardless of how much hyperkinetic hipster gamer fun can be had with Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, it still rings a little hollow next to the middle-aged regrets and ravages of addiction that infuse this booze-soaked odyssey and help it stand out more and more as Wright's subsequent work starts to get shallower and shallower.

First Reformed was my #9. For a long time I only really knew Paul Schrader as a screenwriter on some of Scorsese's best films such as Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and The Last Temptation of Christ. However, in recent years I've finally started getting into his directorial filmography and he's definitely started to turn into one of my favourite filmmakers. Taking inspiration from the likes of Bresson and Bergman, First Reformed became a surprise hit - even earning Schrader his first Oscar nomination decades into his career - and its tale of faith in crisis as a priest on the edge is made to confront the impending realities of climate change and how the world around him is (or more likely isn't) preparing to deal with it seems like the film he's been building towards for his entire iconoclastic career, a raw and despairing cry into the void (but one that still carries a sliver of hope).

John Wick: Chapter 2 was my #10. Much like The Raid 2, this follows up a lean, no-nonsense action classic with a bloated, overly intricate expansion of the crime-riddled world hinted at in the corners of its predecessor. Unlike The Raid 2, I actually enjoy this one.

Labyrinth of Cinema was my #15. It sucks to realise that, if I'd put Nobuhiko Obayashi's Hanagatami in this position, it would've earned enough points to get onto the final list. Unfortunately, this was the Obayashi I voted for instead, but can you blame me? The man's ultimate swansong may look like another movie about The Magic Of The Movies, but there's more than enough creativity to make it stand out and maintain a remarkable pace across its considerable runtime. In tracing the history of cinema (Japanese and international, especially when the two intertwine in ways both historical and fantastic), he crafts as grand a testament to the medium's power as anything as its vastly different leads are sucked from movie to movie and creates something that's admittedly rather melancholy but ultimately a worthy celebration of the form we love so much.

Embrace of the Serpent was my #17. There are shades of Herzog and Tarkovsky to this tale of a shaman undertaking two separate but similar journeys along the Amazon in order to guide white explorers in search of a rare plant, coming face to face with the grim realities of colonisation as it corrodes the continent from within. The end result is a worthy heir to the aforementioned directors as the film sculpts in time - the voyages take place decades apart and the consequences of one are drastically felt during the other - while capturing proceedings in evocative monochrome.

Everybody Wants Some!! was my #20. Linklater's follow-up to his years-in-the-making Boyhood is a spiritual successor not only to that film's coming-of-age narrative but to his cult high-school classic Dazed and Confused - a simple return to familiar ground, perhaps, but he does it so well that it doesn't matter.

Welcome to the human race...
Anyway, I didn't vote for The Tree of Life. It's a good film and I've seen it at least two or three times, but Malick is another one of those directors where I keep meaning to rewatch all his films so I can figure out a ranking. Still, this and Badlands are the only ones I've rewatched so far so that makes them tied for my favourite.

Two of these made my list!
All very good to great films. Under the Skin was on my ballot as well.
Yeah, Under the Skin and The Witch almost made mine, and I really liked It Follows and The Tree of Life.

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Chastain, Leonardo DiCaprio, Chris Evans

Jeremy Renner, Oscar Isaac, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Ruffalo, Shea Whigham, Sebastian Stan, Domhnall Gleeson

Emma Stone, Brie Larson, Willem Dafoe, Lakeith Stanfield, Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper, Michael Shannon, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Michael Keaton, Richard Jenkins, Taika Waititi, Tom Hiddleston, Josh Brolin, Maximiliano Hernandez, Lucas Hedges, Kyle Chandler