The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Maybe Grand Budapest Hotel doesn't make it and Her does?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Top 10 prediction in order of how certain I am they will appear (nothing is certain in this list):

1. Mad Max Fury Road
2. Parasite
3. Tree of Life
4. Blade Runner 2049
5. The Social Network
6. Whiplash
7. Grand Budapest Hotel
8. La La Land
9. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
10. Her

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

I will be surprised if Grand Budapest Hotel doesn't make it when Moonrise Kingdom did. But who knows. I'm also surprised Endgame beat Infinity War. (Unless it didn't...)

Neither made my list, but Wolf of Wall Street is a film I really enjoy. I think it’s great. But there was a close race for the top 25. It would probably make a top 50.

Arrival I liked, but something about it made me not love it. I want to see it again though.

I will be surprised if Grand Budapest Hotel doesn't make it when Moonrise Kingdom did. But who knows. I'm also surprised Endgame beat Infinity War. (Unless it didn't...)
Grand Budapest Hotel, Blade Runner 2049, and Infinity War are the ones I'm more iffy from my predictions, but I know they are all loved by their respective fanbases. I see more possibility in them than in, say, Her or Call Me By Your Name, which are two that have been mentioned.

Arrival just missed out on my ballot (I had it at #29). It is such a lovely film. I think that it's a perfect synthesis of sci-fi and character drama, and the way that the science of the film informs the character growth is really splendid. I happened to just listen to the Ted Chiang short story on which it's based, and I think they did a fantastic job expanding a (great) short story into a feature film.

I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street, even though it was on my list of movies I was trying to see before the countdown. Generally speaking, movies about rich people being terrible only interest me if at some point someone stabs them in the face.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
  2. The Tree Of Life
  3. Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood
  4. Whiplash
  5. The Social Network
  6. Parasite
  7. Her
  8. Blade Runner 2049
  9. La La Land
  10. The Grand Budapest Hotel

I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street, even though it was on my list of movies I was trying to see before the countdown. Generally speaking, movies about rich people being terrible only interest me if at some point someone stabs them in the face.

Well he does not start out rich. And he practically runs himself over, so its got that going for it.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
• #11. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - Saw it when it came out. It is a well shot attractive movie but considerably overcooked here and there, that's why, it was not into consideration for my ballot at all. Anyway, it is definitely one of the top 100 of the decade, I just would put it at #75 or something.
- (69/100)

---

• #12. Arrival (2016) - I've finally decided to see this film about a year ago. Well, as I've expected, it was nothing. Just well designed instrument for selling something to the crowd, banally exploiting Amy Adams' cute mug.
(40/100)

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  2. Parasite
  3. Blade Runner: 2049
  4. Mad Max: Fury Road
  5. The Social Network
  6. La La Land

Roma
The Tree Of Life
Her
Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood
Whiplash

^ One of these didn't make the 100 I think.

Paddington 2?

*hard stare

Near Misses (#101 - #110)

101. Frances Ha
102. Call Me By Your Name
103. The Nice Guys
104. Moneyball
105. I Am Not Your Negro
106. I Saw the Devil
107. American Hustle
108. Lady Bird
109. Mommy
110. Predestination

I've seen Frances Ha, Call Me By Your Name, I Am Not Your Negro, and Lady Bird. I like all of them well enough, but none of them made my ballot.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

101. Frances Ha
103. The Nice Guys
104. Moneyball
105. I Am Not Your Negro
106. I Saw the Devil
107. American Hustle
108. Lady Bird
109. Mommy
110. Predestination
Wow, I've hoped we to see 101-120...

101. Frances Ha
103. The Nice Guys
104. Moneyball
105. I Am Not Your Negro
106. I Saw the Devil
107. American Hustle
108. Lady Bird
109. Mommy
110. Predestination
I've seen all of these, except for I Saw the Devil. I liked them all, but Lady Bird was the only one of them that made my ballot at #12.

I don't know what the whole top ten will be like, but I'll eat my shoes if Annihilation is not in the top three.