The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Love The Wolf of Wall Street. When I first saw it I thought it was pretty good and all but only on a random rewatch did my appreciation soar leading to more and more rewatches. To excess!

Arrival is good too but I didn't love it. I think the ending bugged me. Surprise surprise, Denis. Maybe I'll watch it again. I often give more leeway and rewatches to sci-fi.

3. The Act of Killing (2012)
4. Holy Motors (2012)
6. Shoplifters (2018)
8. Under the Skin (2014)
9. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
11. The Master (2012)
12. Joker (2019)
14. The Turin Horse (2011)
16. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
17. Birdman (2014)
18. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
19. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
22. Moonlight (2016)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

And here is my final top ten prediction:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Parasite
3. Whiplash
4. The Tree of Life
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. The Social Network
7. Blade Runner 2049
8. Infinity War
9. La La Land
10. The Grand Budapest Hotel

A system of cells interlinked
Fingers crossed!

that it doesn't make it

My rating would've been like a
for Arrival if the military sub plot had been left out. It wasn't needed either as there was enough drama without that sub plot. What was you major complaint or concern about Arrival? Or was it just not your thing?
I see what you did there

My rating would've been like a
for Arrival if the military sub plot had been left out. It wasn't needed either as there was enough drama without that sub plot. What was you major complaint or concern about Arrival? Or was it just not your thing?
Here is the link to my review on Letterboxd, where I mentioned an external issue which might've affected my involvement with the film. But in addition, if I remember correctly, I think I kinda figured out the twist halfway through which I think might've lessened the impact of the last act.

A system of cells interlinked
Here is the link to my review on Letterboxd, where I mentioned an external issue which might've affected my involvement with the film. But in addition, if I remember correctly, I think I kinda figured out the twist halfway through which I think might've lessened the impact of the last act.
For the record, I started to figure it out, at least to some extent, once the flashes of Hannah started about 2/3 of the way through the film. To me, that doesn't lessen the impact of the main thrust of the reveal, which is Louise's ultimate decision to carry on and see things through. As I mentioned before, it's not so much a sudden Aha! moment, but more of a door slowly opening that reveals the time element to the viewer at the exact same speed as it is revealed to Louise. Sort of a slow-motion twist reveal, if you will. I think this is crucial for the implications to sink in while you are still watching the film, and not afterward on the drive home. This makes that final scene with the music so much more impactful for me.

Maybe give it a watch again, this time with knowledge of the twist already known, and hopefully an uninterrupted viewing. Also really pay attention to the unique sound production and the score. One aspect of the score is, instead of a synth, as I initially surmised, someone with a unique vocal talent singing!

Sadly, the score was disqualified from the Oscars that year, due to the use of some Max Richter's piece, and damned if I can't find the blu ray extra about the making of the score on YouTube (I can find other Arrival extras). The sound design and score for the film are exceptional.

Lasty: Citizen Rules has been banned for his exceptionally poor taste in film.

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Chris Evans

Jessica Chastain, Jeremy Renner, Oscar Isaac, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Ruffalo, Shea Whigham, Sebastian Stan, Domhnall Gleeson

Emma Stone, Brie Larson, Willem Dafoe, Lakeith Stanfield, Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper, Michael Shannon, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Michael Keaton, Richard Jenkins, Taika Waititi, Tom Hiddleston, Josh Brolin, Maximiliano Hernandez, Lucas Hedges, Kyle Chandler

Maybe give it a watch again, this time with knowledge of the twist already known, and hopefully an uninterrupted viewing. Also really pay attention to the unique sound production and the score. One aspect of the score is, instead of a synth, as I initially surmised, someone with a unique vocal talent singing!
Yeah, it's definitely one that I'm looking forward to rewatch.

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Chris Evans

Jessica Chastain, Jeremy Renner, Oscar Isaac, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Ruffalo, Shea Whigham, Sebastian Stan, Domhnall Gleeson

Emma Stone, Brie Larson, Willem Dafoe, Lakeith Stanfield, Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper, Michael Shannon, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Michael Keaton, Richard Jenkins, Taika Waititi, Tom Hiddleston, Josh Brolin, Maximiliano Hernandez, Lucas Hedges
One more that I found out: Kyle Chandler has 3 (Wolf of Wall Street, Zero Dark Thirty, Manchester by the Sea)

Wolf of Wall Street was a very enjoyable film watching experience, but one I've never felt like I had to return to. It's very rare that I say this about a film that I gave an admirable rating (
++ ) but I do find it a little overrated. You can tell a lot about a person by how they view the characters of this film & why they like it. Following a similar audience to American Pyscho, Joker, & Tony Soprano.

That maybe a discussion for another day- anyways it's a good movie and would make a top 50 of mine

Haven't seen Arrival & feel like I really need to catch up on Villeneuve filmography

Arrival was my #17. I really like Villeneuve movies and Arrival is one the best science fiction movies that I've ever seen. Actually, also it is a really important movie about philology, communication, patience and time of course. It really reminded me how language is one of the most important things in the world. And also again it is one of the first movies that put the circular time idea to my mind and I really liked the way that it tells.

I haven't seen any of the movies since Get Out in the list. I've heard them a lot, but didn't have the chance. I've seen Wolf Of Wall Street and like the movie. I think it is really a successful movie, but it didn't make my ballot.

Now, my ballot is like:

2)A Separation
3)Burning
5)Boyhood
6)Room
8)The Favourite
9)Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
12)Black Swan
14)Toy Story 3
16)Get Out
17)Arrival
19)Interstellar
23)The Revenant
25)Inception

10/90 on the list
51/90 seen

Here's my prediction for what will show on my ballot

1. Silver Lining's Playbook (2012)
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
3. Birdman (2014)
4. highly unlikely
5. no way in h ll
6. highly likely
7. doubt it
8. probably not
9. don't think so
10. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) I wasn't sure about this one but was hoping.
11. maybe The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
12. don't know
13. probably
14. should but won't
15. probably not
16. The Descendants (2011)
17. probably not
18. it should but won't
19. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
20. Get Out (2017)
21. Spotlight (2015)
22. probably not
23. Boyhood (2014)
24. probably not
25. don't think so

I have seen both Arrival and The Wolf of Wall Street. The Wolf of Wall Street was a great thrill ride and that is why it is on my list. I liked Arrival a lot. Denis Villaneuve explores things in a very measured and quiet way. I guess that is why I like him but do not love him.
I figure two more on my list will show. Anything else will be a surprise.

Wolf of Wall Street ...You can tell a lot about a person by how they view the characters of this film & why they like it. Following a similar audience to American Pyscho, Joker, & Tony Soprano.

That maybe a discussion for another day- anyways it's a good movie and would make a top 50 of mine

Dude, you should definitely start this thread? It will be an interesting conversation.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they view the characters of this film & why they like it. Following a similar audience to American Pyscho, Joker, & Tony Soprano.
We are some cool dudes.

Arrival is NOT my favorite Villeneuve, but I admit that it's a great movie. Very interesting story, mostly good handling of the slow cinema undertones, used its unique plot well, kept itself from being an SFX romp, etc. However, Wolf was not a very unique biopic. It basically felt like a well-filmed Goodfellas knockoff. It was a rise and fall story like Goodfellas, and a bit predictable because of that.

Genre Breakdown
  • Action = 13
  • Romantic comedy = 3
  • Romantic drama = 2
  • Thriller = 12
  • Crime = 6
  • Comedy mystery = 1
  • Science fiction = 9
  • Comedy drama = 11
  • Horror comedy = 2
  • Drama = 17
  • Horror = 4
  • Western = 4
  • Fantasy = 3
  • Documentary = 1
  • Experimental = 1

Damn, and me sitting with four mockumentaries on my ballot. Really shocked at a couple of them not showing up, because of thinking they were loved here.

Here is my feeble attempt at predicting the Top 10 ranking...

1. Mad Max Fury Road
2. Parasite
3. La La Land
4. Whiplash
5. Avengers: Infinity War
6. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
7. The Social Network
8. The Tree of Life
9. Blade Runner 2049
10. Grand Budapest Hotel

There's one in there that doesn't feel right, but well...

Damn, and me sitting with four mockumentaries on my ballot. Really shocked at a couple of them not showing up, because of thinking they were loved here.
Well, there was What We Do in the Shadows, which I think I counted under "Horror comedy". It's very hard to pinpoint a specific genre in some of these, so I more or less went by how Wikipedia and/or IMDb describes them, but it's not always that easy.