The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It's set in stone as far as what makes it. The order will be super interesting though:

Mad Max Fury Road
Blade Runner 2049
Parasite
La La Land
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Arrival
Her
Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
Tree of Life
Social Network
Whiplash
I'd sub 12 Years a Slave for Social Network and that feels right to me.

How did you guys enjoy the hints, btw? I was trying to be creative for several of them.

It's been fun. Like playing... I can't remember the name of the game. It's like codenames, but uses the artwork from Dixit. Or something in that variety.

I know you said there wouldn't be hints for the top 10, but maybe there's a Rorschach generator out there that could generate 10 random ink blots, and you could arrange them trying to match them with movie they make you think of the most, and then those would be the hints?

I did not participate, but there are 12 films left, wonder if i can guess all 12 for shits and gigs

1. The Intouchables
2. Parasite
3. Shoplifters
4. Mad Max Fury Road
5. 1917
6. The Social Network
7. Grand Budapest Hotel
8. Hereditary
9. Call Me By Your Name
10. Whiplash
11. Arrival
12. The Wind Rises

1. The Intouchables
2. Parasite
3. Shoplifters
4. Mad Max Fury Road
5. 1917
6. The Social Network
7. Grand Budapest Hotel
8. Hereditary
9. Call Me By Your Name
10. Whiplash
11. Arrival
12. The Wind Rises
These three already appeared.

96. Hereditary
86. 1917
18. Shoplifters

How did you guys enjoy the hints, btw? I was trying to be creative for several of them.
I thought they were great.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Florida Project for this countdown, but I didn't like it. I pretty much hated all of the characters except for Willem Dafoe's character, and I didn't care what happened to any of them, even the kids.

I watched The Master for a Movie Tournament here years ago, but pretty much the only thing that I remember about it is that I didn't like the movie. I didn't rewatch it for this countdown because I read the synopsis to try to remember more about it, but that only made me think that I didn't expect my feelings to change about the movie.

The hints were great. The only problem with them was the timing of them.

The people who were here when the hints were posted got to have fun guessing, but by the time the rest of us came online and saw the hints, most of the time there were so many replies already posted that there was no reason to even bother trying to figure them out.

I forgot the opening line.
Two from my ballot, and including #15, that makes three in a row.

14. The Florida Project - Imagine a film about all the absolute worst that's lurking amongst the lower economic scale, from the point of view of children, and how they perceive the world during that brief stage of complete innocence. It took me a while to get on board, but after a while this novel vantage point really got under my skin and I found The Florida Project to be one of the absolute best films of the 21st Century so far. “You know why this is my favorite tree? Because it tipped over, and it’s still growing.” - a quote like that from a small child, and I'm thinking "that's one of the best movie quotes I've heard - one to remember." This film is full of moments to remember, and the ever-present presence of Willem Dafoe adds that special counter-point to our pint-sized misfits. Clever and unique, it's a film that also makes us more aware of the lasting impact our harmful behaviour has on our children and the next generation of hopeless drug addicts and hustlers - heavy stuff, but delivered in an energy-packed narrative with a child's optimism, so you come away from the film inspired instead of depressed. The Florida Project was my #7.

13. The Master - I miss Philip Seymour Hoffman more than any other actor who has passed away in recent memory. Together with Joaquin Phoenix in this, their characters forming a kind of homoerotic bond between pseudointellectual and easily influenced, an acting masterclass is formed and I'm just carried away watching both of them in this film. After a while it becomes obvious this is all about L. Ron Hubbard, and I really enjoy the way this film just exposes his vanity, and his intellectual limits, while also giving us an example of the kind of person who falls for this fake mystic persona. The Master makes me think that perhaps Paul Thomas Anderson is the best mainstream filmmaker of the early 21st Century, for he has so many great works to add to it - for anyone else, this would be their masterpiece. I have to mention Amy Adams as well, who does an absolutely fine job - but without Anderson I don't think the three actors could have been pushed to these heights. I am long, long overdue for a rewatch when it comes to The Master. It was my #10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen 79/88

Films on my radar : 4
Films I've never even heard about : 5

Films from my list : 13

#13 - My #10 - The Master (2012)
#14 - My #7 - The Florida Project (2017)
#15 - My #6 - Phantom Thread (2017)
#19 - My #21 - Get Out (2017)
#21 - My #3 - Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
#25 - My #20 - Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
#41 - My #16 - Melancholia (2011)
#54 - My #11 - Under the Skin (2013)
#60 - My #4 - Joker (2019)
#64 - My #8 - Manchester by the Sea (2016)
#71 - My #12 - Ida (2013)
#93 - My #15 - It Follows (2014)
#96 - My #1 - Hereditary (2018)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The hints were great. The only problem with them was the timing of them.

The people who were here when the hints were posted got to have fun guessing, but by the time the rest of us came online and saw the hints, most of the time there were so many replies already posted that there was no reason to even bother trying to figure them out.
Unfortunately, there's no specific time I can post the hints where everyone will see them at the same time. Since we have posters from all around the world (not to mention people who work late night shifts and early morning shifts), it will always be the case that some users will be online while others won't.

Unfortunately, there's no specific time I can post the hints where everyone will see them at the same time. Since we have posters from all around the world (not to mention people who work late night shifts and early morning shifts), it will always be the case that some users will be online while others won't.

I understand that, but you posted the hint at around the same time every day, and also made the rule that only the first person to guess the hint correctly got a point. That had everybody rushing to be the first to reply, and everyone else who came online later with no chance. It just kind of took the fun out of trying to guess it.

Personally, I wasn't trying for the points anyway, so I didn't care about the points, but it just felt like a rigged game. (I'm not saying that it was actually rigged. I'm sure there's a better word for it, but I just can't think of one right now.)

I understand that, but you posted the hint at around the same time every day, and also made the rule that only the first person to guess the hint correctly got a point. That had everybody rushing to be the first to reply, and everyone else who came online later with no chance. It just kind of took the fun out of trying to guess it.

Personally, I wasn't trying for the points anyway, so I didn't care about the points, but it just felt like a rigged game. (I'm not saying that it was actually rigged. I'm sure there's a better word for it, but I just can't think of one right now.)
To be fair, part of my goal with the 'only the first person to guess correctly gets a point' rule was to make it harder than usual. Not make it easier to earn points. Also, the evening is generally when I have the most free time to think of good hints.

Somebody mentioned having users DM the host with their guesses, which would probably be the most fair way to conduct it since more than one person can receive a point, but I didn't want to be receiving 10-15 DMs every day and I was also pretty far along into the countdown when it was suggested, so I didn't want to change the format. If someone else wants to do that for future countdowns though, they're more than welcome to.

As an aside, there were a number of instances where it took several hours for someone to provide a correct guess.

To be fair, part of my goal with the 'only the first person to guess correctly gets a point' rule was to make it harder than usual. Not make it easier to earn points. Also, the evening is generally when I have the most free time to think of good hints.

Somebody mentioned having users DM the host with their guesses, which would probably be the most fair way to conduct it since more than one person can receive a point, but I didn't want to be receiving 10-15 DMs every day and I was also pretty far along into the countdown when it was suggested, so I didn't want to change the format. If someone else wants to do that for future countdowns though, they're more than welcome to.

As an aside, there were a number of instances where it took several hours for someone to provide a correct guess.

I understand all the problems with finding a way to do the hints so that everyone would have a chance to guess, and I'm not saying that you did anything wrong.

DMing the host would just cause more problems, and I doubt we could trust that everyone would use spoiler tags to hide their guesses, so there might not even be a feasible solution. I only mentioned it because you asked about the hints, and it was something that was on my mind for a while.

These three already appeared.

96. Hereditary
86. 1917
18. Shoplifters

haha, im gonna go hide under a rock now

Take 2, Action

1. The Intouchables
2. Parasite
3. blade runner 2049
4. Mad Max Fury Road
5. the tree of life
6. The Social Network
7. Grand Budapest Hotel
8. 12 years a slave
9. Call Me By Your Name
10. Whiplash
11. Arrival
12. The Wind Rises

They were great. Very clever.

I understand all the problems with finding a way to do the hints so that everyone would have a chance to guess, and I'm not saying that you did anything wrong.

DMing the host would just cause more problems, and I doubt we could trust that everyone would use spoiler tags to hide their guesses, so there might not even be a feasible solution. I only mentioned it because you asked about the hints, and it was something that was on my mind for a while.
Aye, gotcha. For what it's worth, I appreciate all feedback

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
12 Arrival
11 Annihilation

Besides The Lighthouse I think these two have been guessed the most. I'm starting to think it will be like Inception in the all-time list and they won't appear at all. I can't imagine Annihilation this high.

12. The Social Network
11. La La Land

@SpelingError, have you posted hints for #12 and #11? I see some guesses here, but I've been back and forth since the last reveal and I haven't seen one. I know you're talking about no more hints from #10 on down but...?