The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

My room mate nearly walked out of Hateful Eight. He hated pretty much every second of it. I didn't mind sitting through the film, but it certainly felt tedious at times. I don't remember many of the details now, and would consider revisiting it if it wasn't for that runtime.

I remember seeing the very first trailer for Get Out, and not being sure whether or not it was a joke. I'd seen a number of Key & Peele sketches, so it took some convincing for me to realize it was a real movie. I'm glad I gave it a chance though, because I really enjoyed it. It was on my list at #16.

Seen: 58/82

My List: 12
01. Dredd (2012) - #42
03. The Raid (2011) - #100
04. John Wick (2014) - #48
05. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - #39
06. The Hunt (2012) - #57
09. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #68
10. The Raid 2 (2014) - #75
14. The Martian (2015) - #82
15. Hereditary (2018) - #96
16. Get Out (2017) - #19
18. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #56
20. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #88

Welcome to the human race...
One vote.

The Hateful Eight was my #7. These days, I mainly appreciate this as an example of Tarantino doing self-reflection, creating a much more vicious and amoral counterpoint to the shallow righteousness of Django Unchained that has made that film quite underwhelming on repeat viewings. Eight still holds up for me, a bit of a return to the paranoid ensemble drama of Reservoir Dogs but filtered through decades of growth (and maybe some regression) as an artist that is strangely keyed into matters of social justice as rendered by its post-Civil War setting and characters who are all at each other's throats not so much because of the trials of bounty hunting and outlaw lifestyles but because of prejudices that seem to transcend (or inform) each character's concept of law and order. That it's bolstered by strong individual elements - eclectic cast, sinister score, rich cinematography that makes 70mm work even in a film that's at least 80% confined to a single one-room cabin - only makes it another of Tarantino's masterpieces.

Get Out is really good, but I haven't seen it since theatres. I really need to get around to revisiting it given its heavy rep and how well I've liked Peele's subsequent work.

I'm honored my review of Get Out got a mention. That being said, the fact that it made it this far is kinda shocking and a bit absurd. I mean, where the hell was The Babadook, The Conjuring or Don't Breathe? Far more shining examples of 2010's horror if you ask me.
How is it surprising? Get Out has been the horror film ever since it came out (almost to a fault). The only horror film to crack the Sight and Sound 100 (and one of four 2010s films as well), plus it won an Oscar. More importantly, audiences like it as well. It's a genuinely transcendent piece of work compared to stuff like The Conjuring or Don't Breathe.

Wow Hateful Eight?! I thought everyone hated that movie. Nobody ever says anything good about it. I’ve seen it at least twice, once at a 70mm screening. While it’s lower tier Tarantino for me I still like it a lot, but it’s not the QT movie I woulda gone with for this list.

Get Out was my #2! I’ve talked it about it to death on previous countdowns so here I’ll just give a shout-out to Bradley Whitford, who is always so damn good and doesn’t get the praise he deserves sometimes. I’ve been seeing him play villains since watching him in Billy Madison as a kid and lately he’s been knocking it outta the park with Get Out, Cabin in the Woods and The Handmaid’s Tale, the most recent season of which he had a meatier role that he killed.

20. The Hateful Eight (2015, Quentin Tarantino) 208 points
Very poor film. One of Tarantino's worst. If not THE worst. Self indulgent, laborious, hysterical.

19. Get Out (2017, Jordan Peele) 209 points
A really solid 7.5/10 horror comedy flick that is one of the most overrated films of the century.

No votes.

Wee!
The Hateful Eight was my, erm, #8.

1: Ex Machina (2015) - 49th
2: Dredd (2012) - 42nd
3: Interstellar (2014) - 33rd

4: Bloody well better had do
5: Joker (2019) - 60th
6: 100%
7: Prisoners (2013) - 69th
8: The Hateful Eight (2015) - 20th
9: The Shape of Water (2017) - 52nd
10: Django Unchained (2012) 27th
11: Shutter Island (2010) - 76th

12: 100%
13: Hopefully
14: Hopefully
15: Hopefully
16: Deadpool (2016) - 85th
17: Maybe
18: Logan (2017) - 46th
19: Probably
20: Avengers: Endgame (2019) - 79th
21: The Martian (2015) - 82nd

22: 100%
23: 100%
24: Maybe
25: Probably not

The Hateful Eight over Django?
It's a better movie.
Django is very stylised, and yes, it's a fantastic movie (my #10)... but 8 has that crafted screenplay that throws back to QT's older style of non-linear storytelling that adds to the unfolding of the plot points.
It also plays put like a stage play matinée with voice-overs and even the photography.

It's a better movie.
Django is very stylised, and yes, it's a fantastic movie (my #10)... but 8 has that crafted screenplay that throws back to QT's older style of non-linear storytelling that adds to the unfolding of the plot points.
It also plays put like a stage play matinée with voice-overs and even the photography.
I strongly disagree.

I truly dislike the script of The Hateful Eight. It’s one of his worst.

But indeed, it feels like Tarantino does everything he can to craft the best dialogue and script of his life… and in that eager attempt fails miserably.

Welcome to the human race...
Still beats the hell out of Django Unchained, though. Stuff like Calvin's phrenology monologue is a better example of overwritten/overacted Tarantino than anything in Hateful Eight.

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson
Chris Evans
Jessica Chastain
Samuel L. Jackson
Leonardo DiCaprio
Mark Ruffalo
Sebastian Stan
Domhnall Gleeson
Emma Stone, Brie Larson, Lakeith Stanfield, Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper, Michael Shannon, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Jeremy Renner, Michael Keaton, , Oscar Isaac, Richard Jenkins, Taika Waititi, Tom Hiddleston, Josh Brolin, Maximiliano Hernandez, Lucas Hedges, Shea Whigham

How is it surprising? Get Out has been the horror film ever since it came out (almost to a fault). The only horror film to crack the Sight and Sound 100 (and one of four 2010s films as well), plus it won an Oscar. More importantly, audiences like it as well. It's a genuinely transcendent piece of work compared to stuff like The Conjuring or Don't Breathe.
Wrt the S&S, unless you meant 2010's horror movies, factual correction that The Shining and Psycho both cracked the critics top 100. If you go over to the director's poll, Salo and Jaws were both in there, I believe.

Related to in terms of audiences connecting with, back when the subject of religious horror peaked with The Exorcist in the Poltergeist vs Exorcist thread (I think), the box office popularity of The Exorcist came up and how that reflected people's interest in the subject which they no longer seem to take seriously. It crossed my mind, but didn't think of saying, it is interesting that the most recent example of a horror movie getting that type of mass cultural appeal is Get Out, some of which feels like it was due just to when it came out (this can be true of a lot of blockbusters). Like, I wonder if it came out a year or two earlier how it would have fared box office-wise (which is a little interesting to think about since it was conceived and talking about that world, that existed only a couple of years earlier).

Or maybe my brain is way off on thinking about this counter-factual.

Neither were on my ballot. I found both enjoyable.
I actually like The Hateful Eight more than Django, but I was also pitched that it was basically Tarantino trying to do The Thing. It's no, The Thing, but I think I just generally enjoy that genre over spaghetti westerns more. Granted, this is from someone who is only mildly positive on Tarantino (don't hate him, but I'm probably not voting for any of his films when it comes to best of polls) and only bothered to watch either once. So, there is a legitimate, "my opinion doesn't really matter that much on the topic."

Still beats the hell out of Django Unchained, though. Stuff like Calvin's phrenology monologue is a better example of overwritten/overacted Tarantino than anything in Hateful Eight.
I continue to disagree, sadly.

I’m surprised you like it as much as you do I must say.

The trick is not minding
Seen The Hateful 8, and it’s slightly better than Django Unchained. Both are at the bottom of QT’s films, for me. Not surprised to see them appear.

I,um….still haven’t seen Get Out yet.
*runs away*

The trick is not minding
Wrt the S&S, unless you meant 2010's horror movies, factual correction that The Shining and Psycho both cracked the critics top 100. If you go over to the director's poll, Salo and Jaws were both in there, I believe.

Related to in terms of audiences connecting with, back when the subject of religious horror peaked with The Exorcist in the Poltergeist vs Exorcist thread (I think), the box office popularity of The Exorcist came up and how that reflected people's interest in the subject which they no longer seem to take seriously. It crossed my mind, but didn't think of saying, it is interesting that the most recent example of a horror movie getting that type of mass cultural appeal is Get Out, some of which feels like it was due just to when it came out (this can be true of a lot of blockbusters). Like, I wonder if it came out a year or two earlier how it would have fared box office-wise (which is a little interesting to think about since it was conceived and talking about that world, that existed only a couple of years earlier).

Or maybe my brain is way off on thinking about this counter-factual.
I think he did mean horror films from the previous decade.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Hateful Eight and Get Out are both fine. They're way too high, though. There are hundreds of films from the 2010s that deserve their spots much more.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
• #20. The Hateful Eight (2015) - Saw it when it came out. Colourful, eye catchy. First half an hour made me think this gonna reach Tarantino's of the 90's. Some issues appeared then that left me a bit annoyed.
Anyway, this was the Tarantino film I'd include in my ballot but cut it in the last minute at #27.
+ (83/100)

---

• Haven't seen Get Out (2017) and somehow I'm not attracted to search for it.

Top 100 seen 40/82.
(#441-458 • seen 2/18
one pointers • seen 4/35)

--
My list:
9. Albert Nobbs (2011) [#453.]
14. Ida (2013) [#71.]
15. Midnight in Paris (2011) [#45.]
17. Moonrise Kingdom (2012) [#37.]
25. Ága (2018) [one-pointer]

==============================
(my extended top 60)

27. The Hateful Eight (2015) [#20.]
28. Certified Copy (2010) [#84.]
29. Hell or High Water (2016) [#73.]
30. Jagten[The Hunt] (2012) [#57.]
31. Django Unchained (2012) [#27.]
34. Nightcrawler (2014) [#55.]
41. Boyhood (2014) [#32.]
44. The King's Speech (2010) [#78.]
45. Joker (2019) [#60.]
55. The Descendants (2011) [#98.]
56. 1917 (2019) [#86.]
57. The Revenant (2015) [#53.]
60. The Artist (2011) [#87.]

Get Out was decent but not sure what all the fuss was about. Its a film where the message is obvious and done in a decent way, but then succumbs to the usual narrative traps and runs out of steam. I preferred Us and Nope.

I love The Hateful Eight and it was appropriately 8th place on my ballot. I must have watched it four or five times when it first came out and I've seen it lots since. I actually rewatched it about a week ago.

Some things I've written about the film...

The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

So I was going to post this rating with half a star less, but I have seen it a few times now and I do think this is a masterpiece. I've talked to Cobpyth about this a few times and we both love it. When I first saw it I was unsure what to think of it in terms of where it would fit into my rankings of Tarantino's filmography, but it has to be right up there near the top, on every viewing I have thought more of it.

First viewing, more focused on plot. The first hour and a half is excellent in terms of character writing, all we know about what these characters is what they say, but we don't trust anyone. I honestly had no idea what on earth was going to happen, but I loved watching it. I won't go talk about the plot really because the less you know the better.

Performances are all superb, Kurt Russell and Michael Madsen are probably the most "standard", but they do their parts well. Tim Roth is f*cking hilarious (so is Mexican Bob) and if it was Waltz in the role he would have an Oscar coming his way again, he has so many great lines "It sure ain't Buster", "Good luck mate" etc., Jennifer Jason Leigh is perfect, her eyes are haunting, so ugly yet there's something hypnotic about her, she nails the psychopathic role without ever having to push it too far. Cobpyth mentioned to me about how good Dern is, at first I thought his performance was quiet a straightforward grumpy old man with not much to say, but repeat viewings and closer attention reveal to me some fantastic acting, the desperation and cutting-ness of his voice, the desperation in his eyes.

The Walton Goggins and Samuel L. Jackson relationship is great. Tarantino really knows how to create great relationships. There are so many moments that I think remind us of similar moments in his other films, we still have similar themes and ideas of different sides yet the moral structure that hold things together, justice, the law, honour, respect, etc.

The soundtrack, superb. Subtle at times, but always really effective, especially in some of the more claustrophobic and/or tense moments. The very final song as the credits it is a fantastic choice. The whole final scene is absolutely perfect, almost brought atears to my eyes all three times. I don't get the complaints about Tarantino being racist, sexist, whatever... to me his characters maybe, but the underlying message is one of progress and empowerment, but I don't want to get too involved in politics.

I could go on and on, there's a lot to talk about, but most of it would be ramblings and I don't want to discuss certain parts too much because of spoilers, but I've had some really great chats with Cobpyth about the film so far.

I can understand why people dislike this maybe. I think certain people go in to the film looking to come out disappointing, but I also think the films different in that there's no clear hero (like Django), it's very dark and nihilistic at times, perhaps has some of Tarantino's most shocking scenes, but I really think that these aren't weaknesses. Maybe he did make it more deliberately f*cked up and grim, maybe some of the scenes are a bit OTT, but I could have watched this for hours more, the writing is great, II think this might be one of Quentin Tarantino's most personal and political film, there's so much going on underneath, the whole thing feels maybe it's like he's trying to say "f*ck you America", I definitely think there's a lot of analysis going on in terms of law, race etc. definitely complex.

Anyway, ramblings over, I hope people enjoy the film. Maybe watch it a couple of times if you weren't sure about the first viewing, I think expectations can be misleading, especially in mysteries. I loved it the first time, enjoyed and appreciated even more on the next two viewings
It's 100% serious.

WARNING: "The Hateful Eight" spoilers below
When Chris Mannix reads the Lincoln letter I almost cried the first two times, and it gave me goosebumps all four.

It's beautiful, you have this letter that is fake, but so poetic, so full of life being read in a place full of so much violence. We have these two men who hated each other, fought on opposite sides of war mainly for reasons of colour, but at the end they're reduced to being just two dying men next to each other. Their friendship is beautifully handled, and when the Roy Orbison music hits I get goosebumps every time too, perfect.

I think the letter reinforces Tarantino's overall anti-racist message. He's one of the only director who accepts that racism is a part of everyday life and most people's vocabularies.

It's sad that this letter is fake, but has such as positive message. The part where he says you have done so much for your race, but there is still so much work to do. It's like a sign of hope, but it is not real. It's sad knowing that now such hatred and racism still exists, maybe that's why I found it so moving.

I think the Mannix and Warren relationship was brilliantly written, and having seen it four times, I still find it great how it changes so much in just a couple hours, truly great writing. It reminded me of Mr Orange and Mr White in Reservoir Dogs, both on opposite sides of the law and hated each other but by the end comforting each with some sort of respect for what they have both done. Humanism in a world of madness.

John Ruth's character is supposed to be liberal at the beginning, but even he succumbs to racial stereotypes and show his dark side when he finds he has been treated in real life. It's true of today, people claim not to be racist, but when they see a black person do something bad they'll often make a derogatory comment based on the colour of their skin. It's also heart breaking, when he finds out he's been lied to, I felt genuinely sorry for him.

I don't know if he was that likeable. I think the tale Mannix told about him burning all those people, and the general impression that he just signed up to war to kill white-folks meant that although being the entertaining and one of the characters we supported the most (also being the underdog in the whole situation because he's black), we could never like him too much. His disdain for white confederates and tales in the stagecoach about people coming to find him meant I thought the story fitted well, especially with what he was trying to achieve, Smithers was a despicable man too which meant we didn't have to feel too sorry for him.

WARNING: "The Hateful Eight" spoilers below
If he wasn't there, then the mystery would have been obvious. A Mexican running the place and only two other men, one being English, it would have been easy to assume that they were all working together.

I think it's Oswaldo who tells Jodie to spare his life, and in reality I think this would have happened. It's a great decision and without it we have a totally different film. He really does does add a genuine touch to the proceedings, and throws you off in terms of mystery. Just the fact that couple of people recognised him meant that it was unlikely he'd be plotting to take Daisy, and the way he acted normally around the other three took suspicious away from them too.

I don't know how it's forced at all. You have to have characters that make the plot work, and I felt I could definitely buy his character being there and still being alive. An ex confederate soldier, he was able to really bring out the different characters like Mannix and Marquis, help develop that relationship and pose moral questions about race and war once again.

Without him it's a totally different film and really doesn't work. I honestly don't understand how you would see it as forced. And yes his acting is brilliant. When I first watched it I thought it was good, then me and Cobpyth had an in depth discussion about the film and he told me just how brilliant he thought he was. Since then I've been more impressed on each viewing, the screechiness of his voice is both terrifying and desperate, he's a pathetic evil old man but there's something in there that's very human, his eyes throughout the whole thing are fantastic, when he stares at the camera you look in to them and really see him for who he is. The same with Daisy, her eyes, the close-ups of the whole film were fantastic.

Jordan Peele along with Ari Aster have made a huge, and necessary, splash in what was for sometime a stale horror genre. I think Get Out is very intensely executed & I'm suprised to see the hate. I slightly prefer it to Us, and have not seen Nope yet. Definitely would've made my top 50

I will get to The Hateful Eight someday

The Hateful Eight is a pretty good bottle episode that I feel is both unique and natural among Tarantino's filmography. I'd watch it again. I didn't expect it this high on the list but what do I know. I really liked Get Out and appreciated the warnings I received to not watch the trailer. I like to go in fresh!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."